As I was messing around with my amp before a show last night, I randomoly spotted an old Digitech Metal Master pedal laying around. Now, I've never been one for distortion pedals through the clean channel. I've always been one to get a tube amp, run an OD infront, and get that nice warm tone. BUT, I decided to try this little pedal through my clean channel, and was I suprised. It actually sounded good! Obviously not that rich smooth tube feel, but still sounded good! Now this made me wonder what a higher end distortion pedal would sound like. I know i will get bashed, but in all honesty, i want to buy a distortion pedal and run it through the cleans of my peavey valveking. What pedals are out there that have a good metal sound? I play in a hardcore/metal band, and am looking for a pedal that will work for practice/home use, and possably even some shows. Thanks for the help in advance!
Peavey Valveking Head
Peavey VK Cab
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR
Schecter Damien Elite 7
Ibanez ART2EX1
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
Boss GE-7
Boss NS-2
Blackstar and Ibanez make tube distortion pedals that run off a single 12AX7 tube. One of those may be suitable for what you're looking for.
Hagstrom Swede w/Bare Knuckle Black Dogs
Peavey JSX
Avatar Contemporary 2x12 (Celestion V30/G12K100)
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Dunlop DVP1 Volume
JHS Sweet Tea
TC Electronic Corona Chorus
Boss DD-20 Giga Delay
Digitech Hardwire RV-7 Reverb
Hardwire TL-2
Wampler Triple Wreck
Barber Dirty Bomb
Okko Dominator
Theres nothing wrong with using a dist pedal.
People who bash dist pedals usually have only run them through shite amps.
A dist pedal is only ever as good as the amp its being ru trhgouh.
Take a Dirty Bomb, run it trhough a nice amps clean channel and then an MG's.
Difference is night and day.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Aug 15, 2011,
Thanks for the help guys! I'll make sure to look into these pedals.
Peavey Valveking Head
Peavey VK Cab
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR
Schecter Damien Elite 7
Ibanez ART2EX1
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
Boss GE-7
Boss NS-2
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Hardwire TL-2
Wampler Triple Wreck
Barber Dirty Bomb
Okko Dominator
Theres nothing wrong with using a dist pedal.
People who bash dist pedals usually have only run them through shite amps.
A dist pedal is only ever as good as the amp its being ru trhgouh.
Take a Dirty Bomb, run it trhough a nice amps clean channel and then an MG's.
Difference is night and day.

You sir, speak pure common sense! I see a lot of bashing of using a distortion pedals through a tube amp, and I completly agree, if you like the sound there is nothing wrong with doing it! It entirely depends on the application, and I use both my amps gain channel, and pedals through the clean channel. I love the versatility of a good DS pedal, much less faffing about as I can have delays etc up front and not in the fx loop. Plus although my amps gain channel is great for jamming with my band, which uses a very smooth gain sound on some songs, cleans for everything else, I love breaking out a DS pedal in the bedroom. I'm after a dirty bomb at the moment, they look like a great pedal for the buck.

I have made this list of pedals to ceck out at some point, including all the above:

Toneczar Openhaus
Emma Pisdiyauwot
RAILhead TUA
Goosoniqueworkx Seventhheaven
Wheebo Morbid Drive