All of the individual parts that make up the song are good, but sound over saturated when put together. I think it's mainly the synths that are too loud and covering everything up.

There's a cool epic feel to the song, almost like Carol of the Bells or something. I dunno if that's what you're aiming for, but it's cool.

The synth lead break at 4:20 doesn't fit with the rest of the song, and it sounds pretty bad when the guitars come in. A change of instruments may remedy this situation.

Overall and interesting track. Do you have plans to put vocals in? I'd be interested in hearing that.

hope this helps
c4c
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1469290
I thought the song was pretty cool but the synths did get heavy just a bit. the last part wouldve been much better if the guitars were louder. overall good work tho. Also I think that the individual pieces were a little repetitive but it wasnt so bad that it ruined the song. it had an epic feel to it. I have a few things up on my soundcloud and I'd appreciate it if you gave my stuff a listen and tell me what you think.
I agree with the above posts for the most part. To help make sure that things don't start getting muddy, make sure each instrument is kind of filling in a 'niche' (frequency-wise) if you will in the mix. Play around with your equalizer, and have each part sort of centered in its frequency range, but make sure it's not going to conflict with another instrument.

I like the song, but it can't convey anything with all the parts fighting with each other throughout. Like puzzle pieces, your tracks should fit harmoniously with each other, not fighting for dominance in the mix.

If you turn down the synths and really focus on getting a solid rhythm section going, the track will improve exponentially. I guarantee it.

C4C?

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1471265
Standard Strat
Jackson WRMG
Parker DF724

Axe-Fx Standard
Carvin DCM1000L

Mesa Trad. Slant Recto 4x12 (UK V30s)
Custom Horiz. 2x12 (Commonwealth 12s)
Thanks for the replies, very helpful, I've just uploaded a new version, turned down the lead synth a bit (though it is meant to sound a bit over-saturated) and took of the limiter as to prevent that muddiness, plus some equing. Tell me what you think

Quote by Minutes2Mayhem
I thought the song was pretty cool but the synths did get heavy just a bit. the last part wouldve been much better if the guitars were louder. overall good work tho. Also I think that the individual pieces were a little repetitive but it wasnt so bad that it ruined the song. it had an epic feel to it. I have a few things up on my soundcloud and I'd appreciate it if you gave my stuff a listen and tell me what you think.

I listened to 'There's no such thing as innocence' on your soundcloud. The intro was cool, but the piano-ish synth sounds a bit too 'cheap', if you know what I mean. To be honest, it's kind of a mess when the guitars come in. They lack body, and they are a bit sloppy. Try practicing those parts a tad more and equing them to get a less trebbly, grating sound. I think the vocals are pretty good, but sound as if recorded through a $5 mic to be honest, and the don't really fit the mix either. Overall, there are some good ideas, but it needs a lot of polish.
Thanks, I'm glad you told me. I'm gonna try to get some better equipment soon as far as recording goes. That's my biggest problem I think because I dont expect much from the recording so I go about it too lazily and make mistakes and whatnot. Thanks for the help though. Much appreciated.
This is a really cool tune. I am in love with that riff with the two bars of four then a bar of five. The synths would sound better if the patches were more faithful to the sounds they are emulating. The string patch is very generic and flat, making it sound keyboardy. Do you have a string patch that is more lush and realistic?
Quote by Shadow Self
This is a really cool tune. I am in love with that riff with the two bars of four then a bar of five. The synths would sound better if the patches were more faithful to the sounds they are emulating. The string patch is very generic and flat, making it sound keyboardy. Do you have a string patch that is more lush and realistic?

Yeah, the string patch was kinda lazily put together, admittedly, though I think it works pretty well given it's just a crappy free VSTi. But you're right; I'll definitely look into some alternatives I could use to get a more realistic sound . Thanks for the crit man
If you want to throw me the MIDI for the strings, I can dig around to see what I can find too. It's up to you. shadowself at gmail
Quote by Shadow Self
If you want to throw me the MIDI for the strings, I can dig around to see what I can find too. It's up to you. shadowself at gmail

Wow, thanks a lot man. I've attached the midi to this post, if you can work something out let me know (my IM is on my profile). Again, thanks a ton
Attachments:
MIDI.mid
I actually like the song just as it is. The intro has a "medieval" sound to it which is very cool. The guitar parts flow well together and the drums are tasteful. Only little complaint might be, like many other said, about the synths. They sound a bit to "keyboardy".

All in all a really sweet track which i thorughly enjoyed.

C4C? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1470995
hi,

I like it a LOT. Very melodic indeed. And i don't think the synths are bad , they fit right in !

At first i was expecting some death metal so i turned my volume a bit down but i was pleasantly surprised ;-)

But i can't help the song is missing something when it''s building up (some power chords :-)

Did a fine job man, and really loved your track

C4C: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1471754
I listened to Relapse.
I liked the intro, and how you use those reverbered delays... (i believe it was that)
Really liked that guitar/cymitar tune too.
Great chorused riff.
It sometimes reminded me of depeche mode.... and maybe Joy Division too.
I liked it indeed.

Please, have a look on my video, and if you will, leave a comment at it?
Thanks man!
Space Pyramid

My songs
My Band songs

Gear:
Vox PathFinder R15
Epiphone G-400
Accord Strato
Acoustic Guitar
POD HD 300
Boss MT2
Boss CH1