I just put on a fresh set of strings on my schecter damien fr and now I have less sustain than when I had the old strings. Help?
Did you use the same gauge of strings? What about the make?
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
If they're the same as the previous set, that's the obvious issue ruled out.

I presume if you know what make & gauge were on it before, you've had the guitar a while, changed strings a few times, but this is the first time you've had an issue?

Have there been any other changes in your setup (amp/effects & settings on both)? That could also be an obvious place to look.

Aside from that, I'm out of ideas. I guess it's always possible you just have a faulty set of strings. Have you had them sat in a drawer for a long time waiting to be used or anything?
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryHB
If they're the same as the previous set, that's the obvious issue ruled out.

I presume if you know what make & gauge were on it before, you've had the guitar a while, changed strings a few times, but this is the first time you've had an issue?

Have there been any other changes in your setup (amp/effects & settings on both)? That could also be an obvious place to look.

Aside from that, I'm out of ideas. I guess it's always possible you just have a faulty set of strings. Have you had them sat in a drawer for a long time waiting to be used or anything?

Yes, I've had it for like 3 years now. I just got an rp 90 to mess with, it might be that. And no I used them like two days after I bought them.
OK, check the settings on the RP90. Digitech have a good rep for their FX units, so if that is causing the problem it should be solvable. I use Boss's ME50, and that has a control for the sustain in the compression settings. I'd be surprised if Digitech hasn't included something similar, so check that - it's probably set to minimum as a default.

If you can't find anything easily, go back to whatever setup you used before getting the RP90. If that solves the problem it's almost certainly the effects unit, so it's probably worth posting a new version of this thread in the FX forum to see if anyone there can come up with anything.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
No worries. Let me know how you get on - I'm definitely out of ideas now, so if you find out something I haven't thought of, it would be good to hear about it for future reference

Good luck!
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud