Poll: Where do you teach / learn?
Poll Options
View poll results: Where do you teach / learn?
I teach or am taught from tutor's home/studio
18 82%
I teach at or am taught from student's home
4 18%
Voters: 22.
A question to both guitar teachers and students - do teachers prefer to teach in their own home/studio or to travel to a students place? Do most teachers offer only one service or both? Do students prefer to travel to a teacher (assuming its not too far) or have a teacher come to them?

I geuss it depends on personal preference and what kinda setup the teacher has and all that. Whats your experiences/observations?

Cheers,
Sisko
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Last edited by Hydra150 at Apr 3, 2013,
I've never heard of teachers coming to the student's place to give lessons. I'm not deeply involved in this stuff though so maybe it's more common than I think?

I go to a music school to get my lessons.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
I don't mind where I teach, and I've had equal amounts of people wanting to be taught at my place, and at theirs
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
I think it's definitely easier for the teacher to do lessons at their place; they will likely have a lot of high quality equipment at their disposal and going to their place also makes recording lessons much easier (if they intend to do so).

If your teacher lives a fair distance away it can definitely be a bit of a pain, but for a lesson once every week or two it shouldn't be a big problem, especially if you have a good teacher.
Quote by TheLlamaMan
I think it's definitely easier for the teacher to do lessons at their place; they will likely have a lot of high quality equipment at their disposal and going to their place also makes recording lessons much easier (if they intend to do so).

My thoughts exactly. Few months there I was going to a guitar teacher who lived quite close to my home who was good and having his wee studio with equipment and resources in his house was beneficial to the lessons in general. Had to stop going due to being poor.

This past year Ive also been seeing a couple guitar teachers from my music school (for free, classes with like 5 other students) in a room in college and thats been good, although the equipment and resources werent as good or as close to hand.

Im thinking about starting to teach and am thinking about how Im going to do it, and Id prefer to have students come to me but my parents (who I live with) thought that Id be travelling to students and Im just here looking at what other people think. On almost all of the ads I see on Gumtree for tuition the teacher states that they can travel to the student so its got me wondering.
The teacher I took lessons from actually gave them at our local music store. It's a very small community so it benefits everyone.

Name stealing guy!
Quote by skylerjames13
This +10000

You're a decent 11'er Bryc3e

Nothing can keep you away from the need to create.. Cause your path is free! - Jari Maenpaa
Well, if you're traveling to your students, how're you going to charge for the travel time and fuel?

And what happens when a pupil no-shows?

It's a pain in the arse. Don't do it. You'll be effectively halving your hourly rate (or overcharging to compensate) and no-shows and unpaid lessons will hurt you double. I don't know any professional tutors who do it (out of like, 20+ tutors).
Thanks for the responses dudes. I might see about renting a room somewhere as my home might not be ideal.
Quote by Flibo
I've never heard of teachers coming to the student's place to give lessons. I'm not deeply involved in this stuff though so maybe it's more common than I think?

I go to a music school to get my lessons.

I had my teacher come to my place for lessons.
did he charge a different rate or anything like that?