Is it possible to mis-wire a pickup? I bought a Duncan JB and one of my friends wired it into the bridge position of my guitar. It sounds very lifeless and quacky, and I can't get a good distorted tone out of it. I'm using it in a HSS Carvin strat into a Peavey Valveking, and I'm using a MXR Custom Badass distortion for my dirt. Maybe it's just not what I expected, but I don't understand why so many people adore this pickup if this is what it's actually supposed to sound like.
Did you follow the wiring diagram on www.seymourduncan.com ? You probably have it wired out of phase.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
the same thing happened when i wired up my d sonic. it sounded almost like a single coil. so i had to redo it and then it was awesome haha
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
That's exactly how it's supposed to sound. Bad. You should've tried it before buying it.
(still, you should check the wiring!)
Whilst some people really don't like the JB, I don't think they use the word 'quacky' to describe it.
So definitely check the wiring
RIP Gooze

cats
You've possibly wired it out of phase/in parallel/with only one coil active.
The JB isn't really quacky, so its probably a wiring problem.

If you've checked the wiring and its fine, what volume pot are you using? 250k or 500k? A lot of people prefer the JB with a 250k volume pot rather than the usual 500k.
I'm led to believe that it's been wired out of phase. I'll check it out, post pics if I have to or something.