Im looking for the best OD pedal I can get for under 120$ that can just tighten up my amps current sound. I play through a Jackson RR-3 on a Peavey XXL through a Shetfield Cab and I love its ability to produce killer tones but its just a little but sloppy for my taste and I really wanna get that Tight Palm muted E sound you get in Thrash and Old school Death Metal. I live In the Seattle Area.
Any decent tubescreamer type pedal will work. Visual Sound, BBE, Digitech Hardwire series, and any of a million other brands will all do the job. You can get most of them new for $100 bucks or less.
GC has a really good OD for $40. It's the MXR Classic OD. It's a GC special version. It has a "secret" internal switch that people say turns it into a Zak Wylde OD. I've never opened mine up because I like it as is. Some people mod it to bring the switch outside.
Quote by jon.peebles
Any decent tubescreamer type pedal will work. Visual Sound, BBE, Digitech Hardwire series, and any of a million other brands will all do the job. You can get most of them new for $100 bucks or less.

yeah agree. personally i use the digitech Hardwire but any of these would work fine.
ODing on a budget? i'd recommend a bottle of extra strength tylenols or a couple 40's
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
ODing on a budget? i'd recommend a bottle of extra strength tylenols or a couple 40's

damn, i was gonna say sumthin like that
I stand behind the Green Rhino 100%. You can easily find it used in your price range, or you can just buy it new with a 10% off coupon.
PRS SE CU22 | PRS SE CU24 | Takamine EG463SC
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster | Rectifier 212
Pitchblack+ | Bad Monkey | FAB Chorus | NOVA Delay
Quote by fly135
GC has a really good OD for $40. It's the MXR Classic OD. It's a GC special version. It has a "secret" internal switch that people say turns it into a Zak Wylde OD. I've never opened mine up because I like it as is. Some people mod it to bring the switch outside.

I wonder if the rp355 has a secret switch
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Hey I am also after an OD pedal and was torn between the TS9 and the Mojo Mojo by TC Electronics, which one would you guys recommend out of the two?
Just gonna throw this out there, but an OD might not work the way you want it to on an SS amp.

Anyway, the TS9 is very tried and very true. I prefer the TS7 myself, but I think the TS9 has a better buffer in it.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Aug 15, 2011,
The Shetfield realy that bad? I have no idea when it comes to cabs what to be looking for. I also am wondering why an OD pedal + SS amp is bad?
Quote by sashki
I hear the Digitech Bad Monkey is actually a surprisingly good overdrive for really cheap.

He can do better with that budget, but yeah I think it's awesome for a pedal that you can find used everywhere at $20-$25.

They also make great bass ODs by just swapping a couple caps.
Quote by Abadinator
The Shetfield realy that bad? I have no idea when it comes to cabs what to be looking for. I also am wondering why an OD pedal + SS amp is bad?

I think they are OK personally but after owning better speakers I really couldn't go back tbh. Sheffields get more of bad rap than they probably deserve but you said it yourself - your cab is a bit sloppy. That is what I think of when I think of those Peavey cabs. Everyvtime I play a typical Peavey halfstack at GC I cringe a bit until I try the head on a better cab.

I've ran OD pedals into SS amps and it was OK. I just wouldn't spend $120 to fix a XXL/Sheffield speaker situation. Maybe an EQ pedal

Do you gig? Some of those 112s would probably work great for you if you don't.
dont gig yet but very neer future. I guess I should look around on CL and look for a new cab then. Kinda sad I just got the cab : (
what brand should I be looking for Im not willing to spend more than I paid for the Sheffield really. 200$ish for now. This is my first Head and cab I just need sometihng gig worthy and Im looking for a half stack rather than a 1x12
I wouldn't bother. Sheffields are kind of... meh, really not great speakers, but they're ok, and you're not going to find anything better unless you have at least $400-500, then you can get stuff like Marshall, Mesa and Avatar.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
^ neither of those would be much better. I have no experience with the G12L speakers but based on the price - I'd pass.

I take it you really want a 4x12 cab so you can look br00tal? If that is the case - then your tone will suffer until your budget goes up. This is a classic conundrum we see here in GGnA all the time.

You should be able to sell your current cab - then what would your budget be?

What's wrong with that custom made 212? It has Hellatone 60's which are rebranded Celestion Vintage 30s. That's what I would do. 212's often have tighter bass and can be more punchy or just as punchy.
Selll both the head and cab and look at used 2x12 5150s
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
I like the XXL and dont want to sell it, Its pretty remarkable for a SS head. My 200$ budget was including the Cab. I could sell a few things and prolly hit 300$
XXL is a cool amp.

So you have Sheffields in a non-Peavey cab or did I read something wrong?

Good speakers can take you a long way. With SS amps you want the highest wattage speakers you can find me thinks. I'd go after that homemade 212. Hellatones are Celestion Vintage 30s that are broken in by Avatar and rebranded. It looks br00talz too. At least go play it and maybe take your amp so you can what the difference makes. Or at least take your amp to Guitar Center or something and try it on some really nice cabs - and some 212s.
You just opened that Attenuator thread didn't you?

FYI - you can't run an attenuator on a solid state amp. I also just realized you had a thread a while back on a 6505 combo not sounding good to you. So you returned that and got the XXL?
Yea I returned the 6505 Combo just didnt sound good. Saw the XXL in a local Music store for 400$ New with everything came home with it. I like the XXL's sound better marginal but better. I tried both amps through a Mesa rectifier cab in that store since they were selling the 6505 head there as well but for 1000$. my atunnenator thread was just purely because I had no idea what it was and saw one recently and wanted to know more about it.
here is a thread that might help you understand attenuators a bit better (for future reference). Again, they won't work well with solid state amps.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1433637

This is a good simple read too:
http://www.tedweber.com/atten.htm

so do you have a Peavey cab or a no-name cab with Sheffields?

PS: the XXL is not a bad amp. Especially considering it is a non-tube amp. It doesn't quite have the low end I like but not bad by any means.