Hey, I'm thinking about getting a mid-high range guitar. I'm not much of a guitar guy, I just want a simple, good quality and reliable axe. I mostly play Megadeth, Marty Friedman, Joe Satriani.

As far as I like, I found these two:
PRS SE Singlecut: http://www.thomann.de/ro/prs_se_single_cut_scarlet_red.htm
pros: 1 tone, 1 volume knob, good positioned pickup selector
cons: 22 frets only

Schecter Hellraiser Solo 6: http://www.thomann.de/ro/schecter_hellraiser_solo_006_bch.htm
pros: 24 frets, splittable pickups
cons: too many knobs, bad positioned pickup selector, I don't really like active pickups

Which one is better in terms of quality, reliability and durability and ofc versatility?
The schecter is more for metal styles. They've been getting a lot of criticism on this forum lately, but I don't think that's justified. They're pretty decent guitars. However, I'd say the PRS is a better all-round guitar. Very solidly built and sounds great. It has a very smooth sort of tone.

If you're concerned about the 22 frets, why not get the SE Custom 24? It's a little bit brighter sounding, but it's still very versatile.
They are about the same for quality.... Get your hands on them and see which plays and sounds the best to you.
If your really set on the single cut for a PRS, you could look at the Mikael Akerfeldt SE signature. A really nice guitar and 24 frets.
Satan. Grant this man the gift of revenge against his foes at the Food Network.
PRS....... I can't belive this is a real question. It's like asking which you would want a Lambo or a Ford LTD.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Everyone here, or at least anyone who has played these guitars, will tell you to get the prs. The SE series is one of the best bang for your buck guitars i have ever seen.
Go with PRS for sound, quality, and looks. I have yet to play a PRS I didn't like, and would love to own one some day. As previously mentioned, if you're worried about the 22 frets, check out other PRS guitars that have 24 frets.
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
Just get whatever you prefer really.
Schecter is more metal orientated with the emgs

Quality wise there wont be much in it. Just get what the one you like the feel of the best..
Most guitarist never use the extra frets over 22 anyways. 22 will be fine for most people.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Seems to me you only want the schecter for 24 frets, and I don't think too many knobs would be a con unless you're worried you would accidentally hit them. Both brands are quality guitars, but I cannot say much more because I have not played the exact guitars you're looking at buying.
Quote by KillRoy Ver 3.0
If your really set on the single cut for a PRS, you could look at the Mikael Akerfeldt SE signature. A really nice guitar and 24 frets.

It's reasonably priced too
Thanks. I only play fixed bridge guitars so unfortunately there is no PRS with 24 frets in that price range.
I posed this question because some people say that the SE series are really bad compared with the schecter.
Quote by Robbgnarly
Most guitarist never use the extra frets over 22 anyways. 22 will be fine for most people.

Well, the Megadeth dudes do...some solos can't be played on 22 frets. "99 ways to die" for example
Quote by Icy_Lights
Thanks. I only play fixed bridge guitars so unfortunately there is no PRS with 24 frets in that price range.
I posed this question because some people say that the SE series are really bad compared with the schecter.

I have never heard that at all. Actually the PRS SE line is better than many Low end USA guitars like Fender/Gibson
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Icy_Lights

fanboys
They're both mik imports they'll be about the same in quality.
Quote by Icy_Lights
Well, the Megadeth dudes do...some solos can't be played on 22 frets. "99 ways to die" for example

That is very true, I was just stating that most people in general don't play those frets in a normal situation.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I have not played a prs but I would like to but I do own a Schecter an to me it's a very good guitar for the price.
I'd pick a mid-end Schecter over a PRS SE any day, but it really comes down to what specs you need. If you don't like actives, you obviously shouldn't get a Hellraiser

So many statements in this thread acting like it's a high end PRS versus the Schecter - you guys should just shut up if you can't see the difference between a Custom 24 and a SE Custom 24
Last edited by xFilth at Aug 15, 2011,
Korean factory guitar vs Korean factory guitar. Get whichever one is best for you. If neither has what you need, keep looking.

The PRS SE is ridiculously overhyped, probably by people that either haven't played a Schecter or think the SE represents the same build quality as the regular PRS line, or just good ol' Schecter haters crawling out from under their rocks.
Quote by W4RP1G
Korean factory guitar vs Korean factory guitar. Get whichever one is best for you. If neither has what you need, keep looking.

The PRS SE is ridiculously overhyped, probably by people that either haven't played a Schecter or think the SE represents the same build quality as the regular PRS line, or just good ol' Schecter haters crawling out from under their rocks.

I've played both and I think the PRS is the more appropriate choice here.
If you are ok with buying used, Schecters don't really hold resale value so you could prolly find a nice Hellraiser Solo 6 used cheap, and save enough to change the EMGs for your preferred choice of pickups. Just saying. I personally didn't like PRS Santana SE I used to have. pickups were weak and i didn't like the wide/fat profile. I just didn't like the overall feel. Plus, the Singlecuts just look kind of boring to me. Not saying I love abalone covered guitars, but they just didn't speak to me. I would say used Schecter + pup change or if you do decide to get the PRS, Custom 24 because i don't mind the wide/thin profile. But i would still change the pickups. And actually yes, i use the 23-24 frets a lot in my solos, especially when im writing/improving.