I have what's perhaps a ridiculously simple singing question, but I need some help in this area: How do I go into my head voice without going into that dreaded falsetto?

I've only been working at my voice for a few months, and have made some significant progress in my chest voice, but clearly still have a long way to go. I am a natural baritone, and have a very high falsetto, but the problem that I have with the falcetto is that, while it is high, it sounds extremely airy and quite annoying (and I guess that's the way it's supposed to be). I seriously don't like using it. My primary issue, however, is that I don't really know how to use my upper head voice properly without going into the falsetto, unless I'm singing so loudly that the people across the street could hear (and even then, I can't go too much higher than the middle C). That's a big issue because I can't normally sing that loudly because otherwise I annoy the people around me. (Make no mistake. I'm not straining my voice when I do that. I can easily do that for quite some time without my voice even showing any signs of getting tired, but still, it's annoying to have to be that loud. )

Right now, I have a break that kind-of sits around D4 or so, just above the middle C. It's a bit difficult to go to the middle C (although the B just before is fairly easy), but going above that is a serious challenge for me. Naturally, I just go into that falcetto, but it sounds really bad, so I try desperately to stay in the chest voice, and then I can't hold the note right, my voice breaks, and it's obvious that I've just failed to hit the note. That I would really like to extend that break up a few semitones, if possible, but I don't really know if that's reasonable. Still, if I could extend that break to the F#4, it would pretty much alleviate the need to worry at all, except in the extremely high songs, where I sound better using the falcetto anyway. Still, that's probably not reasonable.

On top of that, I am absolutely unable to get an instructer. (Uh, oh... ) I am more than well aware that this is not the best way to learn, but there is nothing that I can do about it, so I'm trying to work things out through other means. That's giving me challenges of its own.

So my question is, how can you go into your head voice without going into that dreaded falsetto? If I have to go into a falsetto to hit those notes, then I probably should not even try at all because I'm not one to have a good falcetto (being a baritone, I have a heavier voice than that, and I sound very different when I go up into that falsetto, so I don't like using it.)

Any help is very much appreciated.

-Captain_GNU.
Last edited by Captain_GNU at Aug 15, 2011,
I don't see what stops you from simply practicing your falsetto until it becomes good so that you feel comfortable going into it.

Faletto is part of your vocals, so might as well make it better sooner or later.
Is it possible to improve it so that it sounds less light and airy? How would I go about working at that?
Quote by Captain_GNU
Is it possible to improve it so that it sounds less light and airy? How would I go about working at that?

Being a guy who learns everything by himself, I'd just practice and experiment with it until I get it to be what I want or like it to be. Vocal is a very unique instrument, so you have to experiment once in a while to find what you want it to be.
I would also recommend what zeletros said but being a baritone myself i know that practicing falsetto can be very frustrating. i'll just sit around and see what tips are given.
NEW SIGNATURE!
OK I will try that, Zeletros. I'm in great need of advice, but I'll try to work on the falsetto a bit and see what happens. If anyone has any further advice, I'm certainly open to it. Also, does anyone have any advice as to how to manage my break between the chest voice and the headvoice? Learning how to manage that would be of huge help as well.
Last edited by Captain_GNU at Aug 15, 2011,
Your gonna have to give it time.

But also correct practice.

Dont sing high, work on the notes your good at and improve there, By simply doing this you will have gained more already.

Theres lots to improve over all and the rest of your range will come with that, Breathing and mouth movements as well as projection and resonating are very important when those vocal chords start moving faster. Because higher notes need more air, makes a louder voice, Falsetto is a different vocal chord "false vocal chord".

I dont see 2 separate voices Chest voice/Head voice. Its more like vocal fry, modal range, falsetto. So really you just have 1 voice. You can take all the quality away and have what some might call head voice or you middle voice mix voice. but singing the same you do low high same feel its a full voice.

ONe thing that helped me was sing low but aim high

Bel canto - www.thebelcantotechnique.com - also see links and resources
Thanks for the tips, metalmetalhead. Is there an easy way to manage the break between what most people call head voice and chest voice, though?
there is no break, Its pretty much the same cept you resonate in your head more then you do in your chest voice.

You just gotta build up your comfort zone is all..you will discover. its all about feel.
It's just that, like I said, I struggle around that D4, just about the middle C. (Actually, that was based on a test I did a couple weeks ago. Today I found that after a bit of practice, I struggle more in the E4 to F4 range now). My voice just breaks there, however. I took some of the tips here and it was hugely helpful and kept me from going into the falsetto as much in that just above the middle C range, but I still struggle with that break where my voice just crackles up and I fail to hit the note. Is that also just about the feel? Is there a way I can work around that?
Quote by Captain_GNU
Thanks for the tips, metalmetalhead. Is there an easy way to manage the break between what most people call head voice and chest voice, though?

I think he's talking about passagio (I may be using the wrong word). Basically it is that feeling you get when you shift into higher notes... it's kinda like running over a bump in the road and it almost sounds like a vocal break. It's not pretty.

Anyway I used to have issues with that, but now it's pretty much non existent (unless I'm not warmed up at all and try to jump into really high stuff right away). It just takes a lot of practice and working on the range where you start to notice it. With practice you will learn to smooth out the "bump".

Honestly I don't even remember how it happened.. I only noticed it when I made the transition without any sort of break once while singing a specific song where I always had such a break..
After learning to sing correctly (vocal placement) and hours of practice, it kind of just went away on its own.
Last edited by Anexa at Aug 16, 2011,
Try some light hums get that air flowing through your nose, Rather than OHH try Ahhh, Yawn kinda when you take in breaths, Hold your breath and keep it that way even as you sing.

IF you do this in your most comfortable range. You will develop a technique, And a good one at that.

Its like steve vai said in one of his inspirational videos and I quote "I didnt focus on the things i was bad at, i ignored them and focused on what i was good at" something like that.

Another thing i like to do is start low and work my way up higher and higher, getting louder and louder. If your doing good singing around middle C start singing soft get softer and softer. and vice versa all great things to practice.

Increasing and decreasing the volume in your voice is called Messa di voce "placement of voice" you may find a whole lot in instability there.