Hey, I have been wanting a Telecaster for quiet a while now, and with so many models, I can't make up my mind.

I have quiet a decent budget ($1200) and I can easily afford an American Standard Telecaster ($1000). However, I've been looking at several videos and reviews and everyone has praised the Squier Classic Vibe 50s Telecaster, which is a lot cheaper ($350) than the american standard.

So my question is the American Standard really worth 650 dollars more than Squier Classic Vibe 50s Telecaster, or will a Squier make do. I'd like a guitar as a keeper (I want something that I can play gigs with and record), so I don't intend on it being a beginners guitar. I just see it as a great bargain, which will allow me to spend the rest of my money on a different upgrade (Amp/Effects/7-string Guitar).

So anybody have experience playing both, could you give me your opinion on whether the price is justified.

This video blew my mind:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUerLH8KEJg&feature=related
The CV Squier is a nice guitar, but an American tele is going to be better on many levels. Better wood, tuners, electronics that being said the CV Squiers are really nice for the price and are IMO better than the Mexi Fenders that are @$250-$300 more, Just not the US models.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
seriously try the CV tele first, you won't be disappointed..

could use money for another guitar too?