Because, I dunno, I've had my guitar for like 2 years and a half now and I've never changed the strings on it.

I was always too lazy to bother myself do it, and I'll admit that I'm kinda afraid that I can't get the new set of strings on and then I'll have to take it to a guitar shop for me them to do it, and it would be a bit embarassing...

And the notes don't seem to ring out more than 4 or 5 seconds, and when I do pinch harmonics, maybe it's just me but they definitely don't sound like they should. They sound like a mix of the normal sounding note + the pinched harmonic note.
Yeah, as the strings get older the sustain lessins. I would change the strings as sson as you can.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Simply put YES

If you want a great tone change regularly!
MARSHALL: AVT 2000, MARSHALL: JTM 200 MARSHALL MAJOR 1969, LINE 6: POD X3 LIVE, VARIAX 600, VARIAX 700, GIBSON: FIREBIRD V,FERNANDES: REVELLE DK, FERNANDES: RETRO ROCKET PRO, BOSS: RC 50 loop station
2 years? they never broke?
first time i swapped mine i had to go to a music store cuz i couldn't to it myself
they explained me and now i can swap 6 guitar strings in a flash
Last edited by MyS3lF at Aug 15, 2011,
Remember, It could always be a combination of Bad Pickups and/or An amp that is cutting your sustain, but having your strings on a guitar for two and a half years is like putting a Sandwich in your fridge for two and a half years and expect it to taste good when you take it out!

I usually Change strings every six months at the latest!
Gear:
Fender FSR Standard Stratocaster SSS (MIM Gilmour Black Strat) -
Agile AL-2000 CSB -
Fender Super Champ XD -
Homemade Talkbox -
THE BORG COLLECTIVE
OMFG CHANGE THOSE POOR STRINGS! I wouldn't let mine go for 2-1/2 months, much less, 2-1/2 years. And oh yeah, it has an effect on everything you play. And you really need to know how to re-string your guitar anyway, so learn it now and have many happy re-strings in your future.
Well, I guess I'll change them then. Thanks guys.

Just one more question, if you guys don't mind... For gauges and brands, what am I supposed to go for? Also, how do I know if a gauge is compatible with my guitar?

I usually play from Standard tuning to Drop C. Very, very rarely I've dropped below that...
Quote by KaiZ
Well, I guess I'll change them then. Thanks guys.

Just one more question, if you guys don't mind... For gauges and brands, what am I supposed to go for? Also, how do I know if a gauge is compatible with my guitar?

I usually play from Standard tuning to Drop C. Very, very rarely I've dropped below that...

as far as what you are 'supposed to go for' there is nothing really beyond personal preference.

i use D'addario 11's in E std, they last well for me, seem to last a while before they break, and you can get them in bulk so its cheaper (i buy 10 or 25 sets at a time).

but really as long as the strings are steel (being not nylon or bronze), whatever you like is the answer.

i would recommend trying a few different brands until you get a taste of what you like, a lot of people like Ernie Ball, D'addario, some people swear by GHS, some like DR. its just whatever you like.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
The first thing to go on strings is the top end. The top end is where the pinch harmonics live.
2 years? Change your godamn strings, that's crazy talk.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification