Hello All,

I know that PRS SE series are being made by Cort in China, but are the CE and Custom series still being made in U.S.A? I do believe so, but i'd like to hear if someone knows this better than me.

I'm eying a PRS Custom 24 from 2009 and i've been reading alot about how pre 1995 is better because of the neck heel and various other stories.

However, personally, i am doubting alot of these claims. I play mainly blues, rock and roll and a little bit of country and i dont find myself reaching high up the neck alot. Even then, i have a guitar with a similar neck heel as the current PRS guitars do and it does not bother me at all. (Edit: i played the guitar and it did not bother me at all, i did not even notice it)

The big issue for me is though if i were buying 2nd hand, the fact that there is fake reproductions floating around of these so called pre 95's and also the fact that people charge as much money for a pre 95 than a brand new PRS of same make and model. (I live in europe)

I'm pretty set on buying this newer guitar as i don't want to go through the hassle of driving for ages to some guy that's selling a second hand one and pay 1500 - 2000 euros for a near 20 year old guitar.

thanks

Jeff
Last edited by Jeff9 at Aug 15, 2011,
You been reading that shit Ed Romain has been saying?

That guy is a moron.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
all PRS are made in the USA except the SE line they are made in Korea, not China. And I belive it is the Samick factory that is making the SE line, but I could be wrong on this. And the CE line has been discontinued for several years now. Most people agree that the guitars had a better feal, but I have played guitars from both factory's and can't really tell a diffrence.

USA PRS are great guitars, I have never regreted buying mine.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
the SE as stated are made in Korea, but the customs and the amps are all made in Maryland! Love the state for that reason (and the seafood)
Quote by Tom 1.0
You been reading that shit Ed Romain has been saying?

That guy is a moron.

I feel like prank calling him and asking him to make me a wangcaster

on topic, the SE series are the only PRS guitars made outside the US. I think they're pretty good for the price and they sound nice too.
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Thanks guys,
I have read Ed but i take it with a grain of salt, i'm not really intrested in buying a pre 95 for an inflated price but i just wanted to know the diffrence.

Does anyone know why they discontinued the CE 24 / Custom line? And how much they are worth now street value?
The one i have my eyes on is from a dealer and is 2200 euros (its a custom 24 new)

Quote by Robbgnarly
Most people agree that the guitars had a better feal, but I have played guitars from both factory's and can't really tell a diffrence.

Do you mean the diffrence between pre 1995's and post or between SE and CE?

Thanks
Last edited by Jeff9 at Aug 16, 2011,
I have a faded '97 CE24 with the birds on the neck. Other than the fading of the finish (common, especially reds and greens) it is in excellent condition. I had it for sale for most of last year at $1000 and it didn't sell. It's not for sale any more, but if you look around you can get some decent deals. I know of a McCarty soapbar for $1250, and I have seen Custom 22s for just over $1k. Generally if you are willing to forgo the birds, you will pay a couple to a few hundred less. At that price, don't treat it as an art object. Modify the electronics if you like (they aren't perfect, you know) and play the heck out of it.
Various Strats
PRS SC245 (2007)
Fessenden SD-10 pedal steel
Koch Studiotone XL
Mesa Boogie Express 5:25+
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
Quote by Vulcan
I have a faded '97 CE24 with the birds on the neck. Other than the fading of the finish (common, especially reds and greens) it is in excellent condition. I had it for sale for most of last year at $1000 and it didn't sell. It's not for sale any more, but if you look around you can get some decent deals. I know of a McCarty soapbar for $1250, and I have seen Custom 22s for just over $1k. Generally if you are willing to forgo the birds, you will pay a couple to a few hundred less. At that price, don't treat it as an art object. Modify the electronics if you like (they aren't perfect, you know) and play the heck out of it.

Hi Vulcan, thanks

I live in Europe and the prices for a PRS are higher here.

The one im intrested in is a PRS Custom 24 from 2009 with moon inlays, i dont care about the inlays.
It's new (directly from dealer) and for 2200 euros

I checked second hands already and a 1991 is 2500,-, and then you have pre 95's which cost about 1600-1800 here and are really far away from where i live so it's not really an option for me,.
You might be better off at those prices to buy a plane ticket over here and pick one up to take home with you.
Various Strats
PRS SC245 (2007)
Fessenden SD-10 pedal steel
Koch Studiotone XL
Mesa Boogie Express 5:25+
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
Quote by Jeff9
i don't want to go through the hassle of driving for ages to some guy that's selling a second hand one and pay 1500 - 2000 euros for a near 20 year old guitar.

jeff - don't ever take the age of a guitar as an indication of worth. some of the best guitars on the planet are the oldest ones. but not in all cases obviously. the same goes for new guitars really.

Quote by Jeff9
Do you mean the diffrence between pre 1995's and post or between SE and CE?

Thanks

i would wager rob meant between the two US prs factories, pre 1995 and post.

Quote by Jeff9
Does anyone know why they discontinued the CE 24 / Custom line? And how much they are worth now street value?
The one i have my eyes on is from a dealer and is 2200 euros (its a custom 24 new)

there are a lot of reasons why. if you look at the price range of the current SE models and how some overlap the prices of the CE models one could conclude one thing.

yet others would argue that they didn't want to clog the production line making USA models with the lower priced CE guitars. after the CE units were discontinued, some new models were introduced that filled a wider range in the overall guitar buying market.

Quote by Jeff9
I live in Europe and the prices for a PRS are higher here.

The one im intrested in is a PRS Custom 24 from 2009 with moon inlays, i dont care about the inlays.
It's new (directly from dealer) and for 2200 euros.

i can't speak to the price in your market, maybe sstony or someone in the retail market on your side of the pond could comment on that price. maybe shoot him a PM, he's a very nice person.

that particular guitar has been in the shop some time now. they may be willing to cut you a nice deal to move the unit from the wall. if it plays nice and you can afford it, it's something to consider.

i'd offer a US used price comparison, but it wouldn't really help the matter. as vulcan stated, a cheap round trip ticket could be an option, but then you could be pay at your end on the import fees, duties, taxes etc. i would suspect but certainly don't know for sure obviously.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Thanks guys,
Actually i have recently been in the U.S.A and the tickets are quite expensive, however i did not have time to check for guitars then.

The model at the shop is priced down from 3200 original price already to 2200 but i am not buying it for that much still.

As for what you say about age of the guitar, i am fully aware about it and i have several old guitars from before 1960's. However as i've said it's a hassle to get a good deal on a second hand PRS Custom24 here (Unless i get a cheaper CE 24). Often the guitars are really far away and theres always a risk buying one since they either have been messed with, or it has alot of fretwear or other issues that will cost you money in the end. And then you even have a risk of some guys offering reproductions as authentics
some people around here (MatrixClaw are you listening?) would argue that a CE24 sounds better than a Custom 24.

rock maple necks tend to have a bit more "bite" than a set mahogany neck.

neck woods have more to do with the tone of an instrument than body wood imo, and that get's lost in the hype of other factors.

add in that the CE is a bolt on structure, and the tone takes another very slight turn. worse or better is solely dependent on your personal preference. they are mostly well made guitars, but everybody can have a lemon/turd.

have a friendly talk to the shop with the 09 CE. explain that you are interested in the guitar but feel the age and play test wear means you can't justify the price. if they are understanding of that, they may let it go for pennies over their cost to move the unit. they are there to move guitars, but only as long as they don't lose any money on it. it's a business first after all.

but with some tact and friendly interaction, anything is possible.
Quote by gregs1020
some people around here (MatrixClaw are you listening?) would argue that a CE24 sounds better than a Custom 24.

rock maple necks tend to have a bit more "bite" than a set mahogany neck.

neck woods have more to do with the tone of an instrument than body wood imo, and that get's lost in the hype of other factors.

add in that the CE is a bolt on structure, and the tone takes another very slight turn. worse or better is solely dependent on your personal preference. they are mostly well made guitars, but everybody can have a lemon/turd.

have a friendly talk to the shop with the 09 CE. explain that you are interested in the guitar but feel the age and play test wear means you can't justify the price. if they are understanding of that, they may let it go for pennies over their cost to move the unit. they are there to move guitars, but only as long as they don't lose any money on it. it's a business first after all.

but with some tact and friendly interaction, anything is possible.

Thanks alot,
I'm not really looking for more bite and a huge selling point on this guitar for me is that it has the more warm sounding ("vintage" even though i hate to use the word) pickups, i'm really not intrested in the modern progressive + agressive sounding pups.

And i played it extensively, i love it very much, the tone is great.

The CE24 would have more bite as you say, and would you say less sustain and less warm in it because of the bolt on?
Last edited by Jeff9 at Aug 16, 2011,
Quote by Jeff9
The CE24 would have more bite as you say, and would you say less sustain and less warm in it because of the bolt on?

for warmer, back the tone knob back a little. the high pass filter in the prs won't lose all the highs like most guitars. the neck pup will have all the warmth you want.

and a CE24 should have HFS/BASS pups, so the bridge will get the gain and stay clear while the neck will have the warm but still clear.

the neck pockets on CE guitars are tight as hell. IF you felt the sustain suffered, i'd be more suspicious of your amp than the guitar. (not a rip, i don't even know what amp you are using).

gig volume will add to your sustain, jimi got plenty out of a strat, a host of others have as well.

if you want a vintage tone, put the pup selector in the middle spot, singles in series sounds like "baby please don't go" all day long.

edit: and you are welcome, i'm here all week, try the veal.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Aug 16, 2011,
I can vouch for the Korean Santana Se, Orange flame and bird inlays, as being an awesome playing guitar!!!!!!! I'm too poor to get the Multi thousand dollar USA one!
Gear:

Guitars
PRS Santana SE
Ibanez MBM2 EMGs
Fender MIM Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez AS93 BLS

Amp
Carvin V3m
Blackheart 4x12 cab

Pedals
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Zakk Wylde Wah
JamMan looper delay

Quote by gregs1020
for warmer, back the tone knob back a little. the high pass filter in the prs won't lose all the highs like most guitars. the neck pup will have all the warmth you want.

and a CE24 should have HFS/BASS pups, so the bridge will get the gain and stay clear while the neck will have the warm but still clear.

the neck pockets on CE guitars are tight as hell. IF you felt the sustain suffered, i'd be more suspicious of your amp than the guitar. (not a rip, i don't even know what amp you are using).

gig volume will add to your sustain, jimi got plenty out of a strat, a host of others have as well.

if you want a vintage tone, put the pup selector in the middle spot, singles in series sounds like "baby please don't go" all day long.

edit: and you are welcome, i'm here all week, try the veal.

Thanks man, hehe

Have you played Custom 24's though? Since you seem to prefer CE24 over CU

I havent played a CE 24 yet, however i think the Custom 24 is very versatile aswell and i believe the diffrence wont be super huge, it all comes down to playing skills and what you feel comfortable with.
P.S Guitar prices are ridiculous anyway

I have a few old Hofner and Framus guitars which are made in Germany guitars, i thought i'd look at what a new one would cost and some of their models are even more expensive than PRS guitars, which is ridiculous, since the newer guitars are being made in Eastern europe.

Granted, they are good guitars, but 3000 E for a framus is ridiculous. (I know they have cheaper models too but they are all china/korea produce)
Quote by Jeff9
Thanks man, hehe

Have you played Custom 24's though? Since you seem to prefer CE24 over CU

I havent played a CE 24 yet, however i think the Custom 24 is very versatile aswell and i believe the diffrence wont be super huge, it all comes down to playing skills and what you feel comfortable with.

i never said i preferred them. some people do though.

i own a '97 custom 24, but have played a fair share of both.

here's my girl.

both are plenty versatile, and as you say the tonal differences aren't vast. but they are there and to not point them out would be wrong on my part, imo.

it really all comes down to preference, availability, budget, weather patterns over iceland etc.

srsly, it's hard to go wrong imo but there are plenty of options available outside prs. i happen to have a soft spot for the necks, build quality and tone of prs guitars.
they were probably losing/not making much money on the ce24 and 22s

they stopped making bolt on guitars for a long while and just recently started making a couple again.

the budget models of the usa prs line are the mira and the starla now.

the mira isn't bad.

a used ce24 is a better deal though.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Nice guitar greg,
thanks for the info

Yeah i dont really like the starla or the mira, looks like it came straight from fender or something with the plastic pickguards
glad to help jeff, good luck.
Pretty sure that's correct. But I wouldn't rule out all the SE models. I know that the new SE Santana is pretty killer -- in many ways it's hard to believe it's not U.S.-made. Check it out here:

PRS SE Santana
Last edited by SantanaMan69 at Aug 24, 2011,