So, I have to write my EP and for some reason it's just difficult to even begin. I have tons of ideas, but the 1 idea that I want to actually use just won't ****ing come together. Sorry, but I'm so mad at myself right now! Please, do you have any advice or personal experience? I've been working on and off on this thing since June and I've written many songs, but none that I feel like will fit this EP.

- Maybe I have too many expectations?
- Maybe I'm just stressed because I've never written a whole album before
- Maybe I'm making a bid deal out of nothing?
Stop trying for a while, only pick up your guitar (I assume you play guitar) when you actually want to, not because you think you have to. Let the songs come naturally, don't try to force them. You'll only end up getting more annoyed and the songs probably won't be half as good.
Want a place to discuss real metal without the irritations the forums can bring?

Quote by honkytown
So, I have to write my EP and for some reason it's just difficult to even begin. I have tons of ideas, but the 1 idea that I want to actually use just won't ****ing come together. Sorry, but I'm so mad at myself right now! Please, do you have any advice or personal experience? I've been working on and off on this thing since June and I've written many songs, but none that I feel like will fit this EP.

- Maybe I have too many expectations?
- Maybe I'm just stressed because I've never written a whole album before
- Maybe I'm making a bid deal out of nothing?

If the production is good, just put out a demo EP with the first 2 or 3 songs you have and be done with it. A demo is supposed to be something you can quickly throw together to promote WHILE you work on the material you want to spend some time working on. It's counter-productive spending too much time working on a demo CD because you always want to have one available to people.

Also, quit stressing. You're not going to make good music if you're not in the right state of mind. Take it one song at a time and just have some fun.
A callous exterior isn't an uncommon way of protecting ideals; it hides the idealists from the derision of fools and cowards. But it also immobilizes them, so that, in trying to preserve their ideals, they risk losing them.
Quote by honkytown
I have tons of ideas, but the 1 idea that I want to actually use just won't ****ing come together.

Start with the closest ideas, and get them cranked out into a couple songs. By the time you're done with that, the perfect gem of the last one will be concretized in your mind.

AKA, don't try to plan it out quite so tightly. Keep pushing yourself, but let things move organically.

I have to get scratch tracks for chord progression and vox down for an EP over the next two weeks, so I feel your pain. I always throw out 3 times as much material as I end up using.
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Aug 16, 2011,
Go back and revisit some old songs that you shelved. You may have a killer verse or riff or chorus in a couple of them that were really excellent, but it was the rest of the song that sunk the project.

I typically have songs that revolve around similar subject matter or themes. Oftentimes the key is even the same, or it has a related melody or progression. Sometimes I'll get a great verse, but a crap chorus. Or vice versa.

I've occasionally gone back to songs that fizzled out, extracted out the best parts, and integrated them into a current project that stalled out after initial flirtation with awesomeness.

You're not trying to develop some sort of concept album, are you? If so, you might be creating an artificial boundary that is inadvertantly consipating your writing.
Are you a solo act? Try getting out and showing some other people your ideas. Maybe they'll have a fresh perspective on where to go with them. Especially if they're musicians themselves
I hate my sig
definately have someone work on the stuff with you. even if they say that the song kinda sucks, that will kinda spring you to make it better.

bouncing loose ideas off of a fellow music fanatic gets creative juices flowing....
Wait, why do you have to write your EP right now?
Why the urgency?
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.