Right, first post, and happy to be here. I've been lurking for a while, read through about 30 odd topics, ranging from "how to spot a fake" to "how to string a guitar". There's a wealth of information around here, and it's good to know that if I need help with my journey into guitar-world, there might be an answer already here somewhere.

Having said that, it's about time I get to the point... but not before I give some information that's actually related to my question

My name's Dirk, and I used to own a Lag Four Seasons. I had her for about... 6 months? So you can imagine how shoddy my guitar playing is, since I don't take any lessons I left her back in Holland when I moved to Sydney, Australia, and will probably ship her over as soon as I'm in my new apartment.

This puppy!

But I digress once more. The point I was trying to make, is that I don't know a darn thing about guitars. Seriously. You could slap me in the face with one, and I'll be all like ... "What the fudge was that!?!"

And so here I am, in Australia, guitar-less. And you've got no idea about how much I miss it. We (the guitar and me) had only been together for a short time, but I loved her so much Especially since my girlfriend was overseas at the time, she helped me through some rough times.

... and again with the digressing. Seriously, I should write a book. It'd probably be a trilogy, with nothing but random digressions. ... Okay that was the final one :p

Metallica, Rob Zombie, Johnny Cash, Santana, Silverchair, Limp Bizkit, Korn, System of a Down, I guess it's all the usual suspects for someone my age.

Obviously, I haven't gotten into the heavier stuff yet, since an acoustic doesn't really lend itself for this. Not in the way I'd like it to, anyway. So what I was playing was basically nothing but chords. Just for the heck of it. I did try *some* songs, some harder than others, like the theme from the film "Public Enemies". That one should actually be played on an electric banjo though, and I got it off a Youtube video (yes, roll your eyes at me, that's alright) so it might have been a bit... off. Or maybe I was just botching it up.

Point in case; I like to just sit and play chords until it sounds like a song. I don't imagine myself very good, but I don't mind playing a little bit every day, so I'll get better at it with time.

So here's my question:

I'm really looking forward to purchasing a guitar. It can't be too expensive, because after moving overseas my budget has been SMASHED and I've only recently started purchasing furniture and not sleeping on a mattress any more :p

What I'd like, is an electric guitar on which I can play some nice tunes. I'll probably either purchase a cheap acoustic as well, or fly my Lag in, but that's for later.

I would like to start playing some heavy stuff, just feeling how an electric plays, and ... well, see what happens.

So on a budget of like, 500 Australian dollars, I'll have to find me an amp, maybe a pedal (dunno, do I need one?) and a guitar pick. (Just kidding, I have one. From a Metallica concert actually, but I'll leave that story for some other time. 'cuz I didn't really go anyway, I just got the pick from my girlfriend, who did go there. That was the story. Yeh. I know.)

So do I need a pedal? And is "cutting on the amp" a good or bad idea? And could you guys tell me if this guitar is "any good"?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/EPIPHONE-LES-PAUL-GT-FREE-POST-PUSH-CUTOUT-Trem-LAST1-/120760672611?pt=AU_Musical_Instruments_Instruments&hash=item1c1de5a163

Cheers guys/girls

- Dirk
Guitars:
Ibanez
Rga 32
ART100
Sa120

Amps :roland cube 20xl
Vox vt 20+

With either amp no pedals are nessessary.
That guitar you mentioned is a cheap POS in my opinion.
If you can find a used Epi LP Standard I would fully reccommend it.
Last edited by DimebagZappa at Aug 15, 2011,
Quote by DimebagZappa
Guitars:
Ibanez
Rga 32
ART100
Sa120

Amps :roland cube 20xl
Vox vt 20+

With either amp no pedals are nessessary.
That guitar you mentioned is a cheap POS in my opinion.
If you can find a used Epi LP Standard I would fully reccommend it.

A POS yeh?

Alright, being a total newbie at this, could you elaborate on that a wee bit? Is it just going to be crappy materials, and just break, chip and fade earlier? And what would it do to the sound if it's a crap guitar? Make it sound tinny? I have no clue man

Also, more importantly, being such an inexperienced guitar player, would I even notice that it's a crap guitar, you think?
Crappy materials, crappy trem unit, crappy pickups. Also some kill switch they thought up but decided to use on a cheap model, so its prolly gonna break.
Bolt on neck....
Also it sells for 100$ less then that (although your shipping is free).
I would avoid it. My friend has let me play his extensively and it didnt impress me. Plus, the trem is complete crap. you wiggle it and the guitar goes out of tune. check out the ones on that list
Alright, thanks guys.

As mentioned, here to learn, so all of this will be taken into consideration

And definitely not getting that one then
So my girlfriend got me a Gibson, and I'm darn sure in my stalking, lurking ways I encountered the place where to ask if the thing is real or fake. Is there a topic, or a special corner of the forums where I can ask this? Or should I just turn this thread into an "excuse me can you guys judge this guitar for me please" thread?

Cheers
if you have reason to doubt that it is the real thing, make a thread? what type of Gibson and how much did she pay?
Quote by shecter guy
if you have reason to doubt that it is the real thing, make a thread? what type of Gibson and how much did she pay?

He already did and its a real epi lp special 2.