Hey guys, just recently picked up a MArshall JCM800 2203kk for a steal of a price.

I want to throw an OD pedal in front of it to boost the gain just a little bit more so it will pair up with my 6505 nicely. I'm playing it through a Mesa oversized cab on an LTD Ec1000 w/ JB in the bridge. (I like this way better than my other EC with EMG's)

So anyways what overdrive pedal will give me what I'm looking for? I guess the tone I'm going for is best exemplified by Hatebreed's "Rise of Brutality" album.

I'm currently looking at Maxon OD9, Hardwire Cm-2 and Sc-2 Valve distortion, although this seems more like a straight up distortion pedal (correct me if I'm wrong)

Would throwing a 6/7 band Eq in the mix help as well?

Thanks in advance
Bands
xRepresentx
Hellsent (New)

Gear
Schecter Hellraiser Solo 6
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Epiphone SG-400 Limited Edition w/ EMG 81/85

Madison Divinity w/ JJ Preamps
Peavey 6505
2 Custom Built Cabs w/ Celestion Vintage 30's
sounds like you could use a tubescreamer. i suggest a cmatmods signa drive. tubescreamer clone with three different clipping options - the top two are transparent-ish boosts and the bottom one is your regular (improved) tubescreamer.
I would say a tube screamer or a tube screamer copy. TS9, TS808, Maxon OD9, BOSS SD-1, BOSS OD-1, Digitech Bad Monkey....
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by stonyman65
I would say a tube screamer or a tube screamer copy. TS9, TS808, Maxon OD9, BOSS SD-1, BOSS OD-1, Digitech Bad Monkey....

I read a lot of good reviews on the bad monkey but wasn't very impressed with the tone it gave. It completely killed the low end and any time I would boost the lows on the pedal it would make the bottom sound too fat and bluesy. Do any of these other pedals steer in that same direction? I know they all take away from the bottom end but how much
Bands
xRepresentx
Hellsent (New)

Gear
Jackson DKMG Dinky

Peavey 6505
Quote by Bad.Seed
I read a lot of good reviews on the bad monkey but wasn't very impressed with the tone it gave. It completely killed the low end and any time I would boost the lows on the pedal it would make the bottom sound too fat and bluesy. Do any of these other pedals steer in that same direction? I know they all take away from the bottom end but how much

Well the TS9 and TS808 are the real thing from Ibanez, The Maxon OD9 is pretty much a direct copy of the TS808. The BOSS OD-1 and SD-1 are BOSS's variation on the TS808 and TS9.

If you want a tube screamer, get the real thing or a OD9. If you want something tube screamer-like, then get one of the BOSS pedals or the Bad monkey.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by stonyman65
Well the TS9 and TS808 are the real thing from Ibanez, The Maxon OD9 is pretty much a direct copy of the TS808. The BOSS OD-1 and SD-1 are BOSS's variation on the TS808 and TS9.

If you want a tube screamer, get the real thing or a OD9. If you want something tube screamer-like, then get one of the BOSS pedals or the Bad monkey.

Thanks for the descriptions, that helps a lot

Any experience with the hardwire Cm-2 at all and where does that compare? I ask because I can get one at half the price of most of these listed. I have the hardwire Tl-2 metal pedal and I love it, and would like to check out some more of the hardwire line. Just curious
Bands
xRepresentx
Hellsent (New)

Gear
Jackson DKMG Dinky

Peavey 6505
'Twer I you I'd be looking more into a good boost instead of an OD. The MXR 10 band is what I'd be looking at.
The TS cuts quite a bit of bass, you can do that with a nice EQ too but you'll have more control over exactly what is being cut and boosted. The MXR 10 band has an overall level control so you can set your curve and just alter the amount of overall boost.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
'Twer I you I'd be looking more into a good boost instead of an OD. The MXR 10 band is what I'd be looking at.
The TS cuts quite a bit of bass, you can do that with a nice EQ too but you'll have more control over exactly what is being cut and boosted. The MXR 10 band has an overall level control so you can set your curve and just alter the amount of overall boost.

Thank you for clearing that up because I was actually looking a buying both an overdrive AND the MXR so this may save me some money in the big picture
Bands
xRepresentx
Hellsent (New)

Gear
Jackson DKMG Dinky

Peavey 6505