The intonation on my strat was off, so I went to set it with the screws at the end of the bridge. All of them worked fine except my low E string. My pitch at the 12th fret was sharp, so I loosened the screw and instead of moving the saddle, the screw started moving out the back of the bridge and the pitch of the string didn't change at all. Does anybody know what the problem is?
You need to move the saddle to make intonation adjustments. Sounds like maybe the saddle is bottomed out so you can't move it back further. I would screw the screw back in and set the saddle in the middle and then make adjustments from there, making sure the saddles move instead of just the screw coming out of the bridge.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Get a tape measure. Set the saddle 25.5" from the fretboard side of the nut. Now move it a distance from the nut equal to the width of the string. This is the ideal position for the saddle and it should only need minor adjustments from this position.

Also, only set intonation with new strings.
I get this problem with some of my guitars and basses. before you adjust intonation you should always loosen the string.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Quote by Alucard817
I get this problem with some of my guitars and basses. before you adjust intonation you should always loosen the string.

This, and if it still wont go into intonation one direction, go in the other direction, in some rare cases, it gets closer the other way.
Quote by jpnyc
Get a tape measure. Set the saddle 25.5" from the fretboard side of the nut. Now move it a distance from the nut equal to the width of the string. This is the ideal position for the saddle and it should only need minor adjustments from this position.

Also, only set intonation with new strings.

I just put a fresh set of strings on
Quote by ethan_hanus
This, and if it still wont go into intonation one direction, go in the other direction, in some rare cases, it gets closer the other way.

I should be turning the screw counterclockwise if my pitch at the 12th fret is sharp right?
in my head, that sounds right.

just make sure the saddle isnt a little stuck to the guitar.
loosen the string like said and jiggle the saddle to the spot you basically want,
then tune up.
should be about right.

also know that the strings might fall out of tune a little the first couple of days.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
in my head, that sounds right.

just make sure the saddle isnt a little stuck to the guitar.
loosen the string like said and jiggle the saddle to the spot you basically want,
then tune up.
should be about right.

also know that the strings might fall out of tune a little the first couple of days.

I'll try that and see if it works. Thanks