If out of tune guitars sound bad, why does vibrato, either from bending or effects such as a whammy pedal or vibrato pedal etc. sound good when usage will make the sound out-of-tune? Have i got this wrong?
Because you aren't just out of tune, you're controlling your pitch.

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
Because mostly when you bend a string its just up a whole step in a scale. Whereas if a string is just out of tune it changes the entire chord you're trying to play.
It doesn't sound good if it isn't done right. Tuning has to do (at least how we hear it) with how notes sound in relation to one another. Bend a note too far or not enough and it will sound just as bad as an out of tune guitar. It will sound dissonant at best and sound like a constipated alley cat trying to pass a cinder block at worst.

As for things like the Whammy pedal, the same is true. A lot of people I've come across with that pedal use it to make noise, rather than anything resembling music. They have a blast doing it, but it isn't what you'd call melodic. But then again, one person's noise is another person's music and vice-versa.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
it sounds good because vibrato isn't bending that much. it is just going slightly above the note and back down. it gives an expressive quality to the note that isn't possible on many instruments. it is one thing that makes the guitar unique.

bending is different because you are actually bending up to a new pitch. if done right it sounds good. if you don't bend enough, overshoot the note, or land on a dissonant note, it won't sound good.*

*note i mean a very basic definition of good. there are ways to make dissonance and out of key notes sound good in some ways.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by InanezGuitars44
it sounds good because vibrato isn't bending that much. it is just going slightly above the note and back down. it gives an expressive quality to the note that isn't possible on many instruments. it is one thing that makes the guitar unique.

Not really.

Quote by Scumbag1792
go do vibrato on a piano then
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by InanezGuitars44
go do vibrato on a piano then

That's one instrument that can't do it. Hardly makes it unique to the guitar.

Quote by Scumbag1792
Last edited by -xCaMRocKx- at Aug 16, 2011,
Quote by -xCaMRocKx-
That's one instrument that can't do it. Hardly makes it unique to the guitar.

Yeah, basically any stringed instrument can do it, I bet horns can manage it as well.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
i didn't mean it was the only instrument that can do vibrato guys haha. i know others can. although a lot of stringed isntruments don't go for the sort of wide vibrato that electric guitars are capable of. i guess that have the ability, but you don't see many violin/cello/etc players bending the string up and down. they usually pull the string tighter with their finger going across the fretboard

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by robertito696
Yeah, basically any stringed instrument can do it, I bet horns can manage it as well.

Yeah, pretty much every stringed, woodwind, or brass instrument is capable of vibrato.

Quote by Scumbag1792
yeah the vast majority of instruments are capable of vibrato if you're a good player. There are couple of exceptions, but yeah.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by robertito696

harp vibrato?
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by InanezGuitars44
it sounds good because vibrato isn't bending that much.
bending is different because you are actually bending up to a new pitch.

Nope. 'Correct' vibrato technique is bending up and down to the note of the scale you want to go to, not just going up and down half a step every time. That's how players like BB King and SRV sound so expressive with their vibrato. Because they're not just randomly shaking. They're thinking about their vibrato and what they want it do.
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

Vibrato is anything you want it to be, if anything it's far less likely to be a defined interval of any sort, it's usually microtonal.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Vibrato is anything you want it to be, if anything it's far less likely to be a defined interval of any sort, it's usually microtonal.

I just think if you want to use it musically there's no point just flapping up and down I'm not going to argue with you though, I know you'll win
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

Because it's momentary and controlled. Kind of like chords that have dissonance on them. They sound good between well harmonized chords and as brief events but if you were to play them constantly it would start to sound dissatisfying.

Vibrato, in a way, is like building tension.
Oi! Me dog Sally needs to drop:

|-4---|
|-5---|
Quote by Twistedrock
I just think if you want to use it musically there's no point just flapping up and down I'm not going to argue with you though, I know you'll win

It's not an argument - most of the time a vibratod note isn't even going to get as far as a quarter tone away from the original note.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
It's because vibrato comes back to the original note! If it stayed "out of tune" it would sound horrible like an out of tune string. That is if it didn't shift to a decent sounding note. A lot of musicians use the Whammy pedal in a musical way. I have one and it is more of a toy to me though.

A violinist wobbles their finger to achive a vibrato sound
It's a way of adding character within a melody with out having to deviate away from the original melody.... kinda harkens back to singing, operra, etc.
I think the slight pitch modulation of vibrato is pleasant to human ears because it approximates the waver and bend of a human voice singing. It's subtly expressive in a way that our minds are hard-wired to immediately understand and respond to.
You might as well have asked why chorus pedals sound good. All chorus pedals do is add a very short delayed, very slightly detuned copy of whatever you play. They don't sound bad, even though you're actually adding something out of tune to the signal.
Quote by steven seagull

this.

because it's usually only ever-so slightly out of tune momentarily your ears don't really recognise it as being out of tune.

you could go into a lot more depth here and question why the western world has 12 notes per octave, why the major scale sounds happy, why the minor scale sounds sad, why the intervals within a scale are divided up the way they are etc...

i think for the most part we're all best off just accepting that that's the way it is.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
yeah that's what happens when you watch a lot of metallica on youtube
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by dullsilver_mike
I think the slight pitch modulation of vibrato is pleasant to human ears because it approximates the waver and bend of a human voice singing. It's subtly expressive in a way that our minds are hard-wired to immediately understand and respond to.

+311

still not sure why it is in a gear forum
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah that's what happens when you watch a lot of metallica on youtube

Yeah

i've actually heard worse vibrato then kirk hammet almost cried
oh wow
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?