Valve Jr
Peavey Windsor
Fender Blues Jr NOS
2x12 cab GBack

Bugera V22
Carvin Legacy

Vintage Rogers Drumset
Pearl ELX
Since the D major chord has an F# in it, and F# is the key note that makes A dorian what it is, then yes, it would seem to be the case that the chords are built off of A dorian.
Thanks. I really thought it was just looking for confirmation.
Michael Kelly Patriot limited
Michael Kelly Vex nv
PRS CE24

Tube Screamer
Zakk wylde od
Boosta Grande
Crybaby

Valve Jr
Peavey Windsor
Fender Blues Jr NOS
2x12 cab GBack

Bugera V22
Carvin Legacy

Vintage Rogers Drumset
Pearl ELX
No. Not by any stretch of the imagination.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Not a bit. That wants to go straight to G after the D. If you replaced the Am with a G you'd get a very typical I - IV - vi - V in G. As of now, you're trying to "force" the mode, and that's not how it works.
So what key is it in? I'm looking for options to solos.
Michael Kelly Vex nv
PRS CE24

Tube Screamer
Zakk wylde od
Boosta Grande
Crybaby

Valve Jr
Peavey Windsor
Fender Blues Jr NOS
2x12 cab GBack

Bugera V22
Carvin Legacy

Vintage Rogers Drumset
Pearl ELX
Ok so it's just in G?
Michael Kelly Vex nv
PRS CE24

Tube Screamer
Zakk wylde od
Boosta Grande
Crybaby

Valve Jr
Peavey Windsor
Fender Blues Jr NOS
2x12 cab GBack

Bugera V22
Carvin Legacy

Vintage Rogers Drumset
Pearl ELX
Tell ya what. Instead of explaining why it's in dorian, explain to me why it's not in a major or minor key.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
I was mostly focusing on the "verse" part. If that's looped it technically works to think of A dorian as "home".

The other commenters are right in terms of common practise to say that the D at the end might naturally resolve to G. But I don't think this is something that you can really objectively say "no its not in A dorian because of common conventions of harmonic movement".

But the more chords you add (or rather, the more you try to make it a "progression"), the less it really makes sense for modal music. Series of chords like what's written as the verse are the beginning of stretching it IMO. And now that I look at it again the rest of it does seem to naturally want to take it to G major.
Last edited by Brainpolice2 at Aug 16, 2011,
The more chords you use from a mode, the less it will sound like the mode and instead will sound like the Major and Minor Key is was derived from.

Instead of trying to play a stagnant scale over chords that are stagnant to one scale, try creating a progression that resolves to the scale you want to work with.

Try this as a G Dorian progression, not all the chords are derived from the G Dorian scale, but the "progression" resolves back to G Dorian.

||: Gm7 | Gm7 | Gm7 | Gm7 | Bbm7 | Bbm7 | Bbm7 | Bbm7 :||

For this progression use G Dorian of Gm7 and Bb Dorian for Bbm7.

It gives you a chance to play Dorian, moving in an out of Dorian scales, but also gives you the challenge of playing musically and playing through a progression instead just over chord.
Last edited by MikeDodge at Aug 16, 2011,
Quote by IfellFromHeaven
couldn't it also be A *word removed* minor?

Shhhhhhhh
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by IfellFromHeaven
couldn't it also be A minor?

Fixed. But, that's what I was thinking, yes.
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.