But I have some questions.

At first I was going to get the 6L6 High Gain Option set for my Mark IV, but I was wondering what the 6L6 and EL34 combo would do to my sound?

I love Petrucci's sound (although I'm not looking to really copy it, it's just something to go by) and apparently on the Chaos in Motion DVD you can see the two outer sockets are EL34's.

There's also a 6L6/KT77 option.

I'm really just looking for opinions. I've never replaced my tubes before as I only got my amp less than a year ago. I have no idea how old the tubes are, so I feel I should replace them with a fresh set.
Last edited by Ignite at Aug 16, 2011,
There many controversal opinions on that matter. The only true thing that can be derived from them is that the tubes sound a little different. Thats it - the sound is just different - its really hard even to understand how exactly, so the best way to get a grip on that is to change and listen.
I'd rather change the whole set without mixing the types as the different valves usually need different biasing and having both 6L6 and EL34 in an amp will inevitably lead to having either latter or former to be biased wrong.
Also there is no real point to chase after matched pairs or quartets - the effect of matching tubes is grossly exaggarated - it is more a commercial trick.

Cheers.
Thanks for the reply. Biasing wont be a problem because the Mark IV has a fixed bias (at least I thinks that's the correct term). The amp allows you to run either 4 6L6's, or 2 6L6's and 2 EL34's (in the outer two sockets only)

But apparently you can also run KT77's in the outer two sockets with no problem.
EL34's will give you more midrange bite. KT66's are quite similar to a 6L6.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
dougstubes has a better "cocktail" for a few models of mesa amps.

i'd go that way over just shoving a batch of jjs in it.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
+1

Bob is a good guy I'm sure but give Doug at www.dougstubes.com or Laura at www.valvequeen.com a call/email.

In addition to JJ, Mullard and SED Winged =C= ......I've heard good things about the Ruby STRs, Tung Sols and Sovteks - with the latter being brighter than the former.
Quote by gregs1020
dougstubes has a better "cocktail" for a few models of mesa amps.

i'd go that way over just shoving a batch of jjs in it.

Are JJ's not that great?

I know nothing of tubes at all. And I don't really have the money to get a bunch of different brands to try out.

So yeah I put Eurotubes on hold for now. I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

What are Mesa tubes? They're rebranded right?
JJ are an excellent tube but some people find that using all JJ in the preamp is a little dark for them so they will use one valve of a different type in somewhere like V1.

Mesa tubes can be anything. Yes they are rebranded.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
i loved the 12ax7 gold pins i put in my fender deville from eurotubes. haven't found them on another site. however, i didn't like the jj power amp tubes i used.

edit: did find them on thetubestore.com

which in hind site was probably a better place to buy than eurotubes.com
Last edited by 00_hns_00 at Aug 17, 2011,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^ he's asking about the power section I believe
It read to me like he was doing a full retube.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Ignite
Are JJ's not that great?

I know nothing of tubes at all. And I don't really have the money to get a bunch of different brands to try out.

JJs are fine, cheap, and available everywhere.

but i'd grab a tung sol and a penta (both 12ax7s) to mess with in different preamp positions as well.

if you want a safe cheap way to go, go with all JJs.

if after you do that, you think you want to tweak things a little, get a tung sol and a penta to swap around a bit.

good luck.
Quote by Cathbard
It read to me like he was doing a full retube.

maybe.

plus you already answered the power tube question

getting one other 'non JJ' tube is not a bad idea. I'm not a fan of Tung-Sols but I do like my Penta 9th Gen and JAN Phillips 5751.

personally, i would not replace the preamp tubes until you need to but to be proactive, buy a few JJ 12AX7s to have on hand.
Quote by gregs1020
JJs are fine, cheap, and available everywhere.

but i'd grab a tung sol and a penta (both 12ax7s) to mess with in different preamp positions as well.

if you want a safe cheap way to go, go with all JJs.

if after you do that, you think you want to tweak things a little, get a tung sol and a penta to swap around a bit.

good luck.

i haven't tried penta yet, i was told they tend to not work well with gain. that true?

i'm ordering some ehx gold pin 12ax7's to try out. i've only heard postivie things of them.
Quote by 00_hns_00
i haven't tried penta yet, i was told they tend to not work well with gain. that true?

not in my opinion. dougs recommends them as a part of the mesa hi gain cocktail as well in the rec series, i realize this isn't a rec.

that said, i never believe anything i'm told, until i try it for myself. (i'm not saying you do, just posting this for the benefit of the TS) you may try one and not like it, the next guy has a different experience, etc.

that's why i said to get one and try it in different spots to experiment with tone, should he decide he wants to do some tinkering.