Learn Blues scales.
I can only listen to so many breakdowns and "spoken word" vocals before I wanna puke.

I find Jennette McCurdy attractive, but Elizabeth Gillies and Debby Ryan much more so.

That's enough, Djent people. We get it.
Some quick tips:

- thoroughly learn a bunch of of Dave Gilmour solos. This will get his sound in your head and into your fingers.
- notice which techniques he favours, copy his vibrato and bending style etc...
- notice which intervals he likes to target over which chords, copy this when composing your own solos
- sing a solo (out loud or in your head) that you think sounds Gilmour-esq and then try to play it on the guitar. This will get you out of your usual patterns and help you play more musically.

Use any or (ideally) all of the approaches above and you'll start getting closer to Dave's sound.

Good luck!

Steve
Last edited by StevePigott at Aug 16, 2011,
Quote by StevePigott
Some quick tips:

- thoroughly learn a bunch of of Dave Gilmour solos. This will get his sound in your head and into your fingers.
- notice which techniques he favours, copy his vibrato and bending style etc...
- notice which intervals he likes to target over which chords, copy this when composing your own solos
- sing a solo (out loud or in your head) that you think sounds Gilmour-esq and then try to play it on the guitar. This will get you out of your usual patterns and help you play more musically.

Use any or (ideally) all of the approaches above and you'll start getting closer to Dave's sound.

Good luck!

Steve

Right ^^
Gilmour writes a lot of solos by improvising over the changes a couple times and recording it. Then he takes the bits of each solo he likes and puts it all together.
Have a firm understanding of the dorian and aeolian modes for the blues pentatonic.... Once you have that down, everything else is elementary. Learn his solo's, listen to the nuances i.e. vibrato, pick your favorite phrasings, and most importantly, have fun son!!
Fender JMCM Stratocaster
Vox V847 Wah Pedal
Ibanez TS808 Vintage Reissue
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Modes have nothing to do with it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com