Hey everyone,
I'm looking into getting a new amp, and tossing up between a tube or a solid-state amp. Personally I like the idea of tube amps more, because they tend to have a better tone and be a little more versatile. The only problem is that I'm not able to play loudly, because my neighbors are really old, and really close. If volume wasn't such a limitation, then I'd definitely go for a tube amp, such as a Marshall TSL122 or JVM, or something along those lines. I really like that for each of the channels, almost everything is independent. The problem is that you don't tend to be able to find solid-state amps have that much control.
I mostly play hard rock/heavy metal, meaning that I want something with a really beefy low end that gives the aggressive vibe, but I like a nice clear, crisp-sounding clean channel as well. I was hoping I could get some feedback and advice.
I pose two questions to you;
1) When played at low volumes, are tube amps really that horrible sounding?
2) What are some solid-state amps that have all the independent controls and features that a good tube amp would have? (preferably something that won't destroy your bank account, i'm only 16)

Thanks guys
Last edited by liam_nz at Aug 16, 2011,
Tube amps turned down don't sound as good but they are stlll better than 99.99% of SS amps at any volume.

What you really need is a new home.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
they don't sound horrible at all... They're not great at low volumes, but they work.
I've had a few SS amps, never liked them.
Scientists write papers and books. Engineers make money.
As Cathbard & Gui_Lux said, tube amps don't sound as good when played at lower levels but that does not make them unusable. I have 4 kids (from nearly 3yo to 12yo) and I can still play mine when they have gone to bed without keeping them awake, even the missus can still watch TV in the next room, and the amp sounds perfectly acceptable at that level.

So next question is what is your budget so people can advise you on what might be a good match for you? (Also area, used or new etc.)
Quote by Cathbard
Tube amps turned down don't sound as good but they are stlll better than 99.99% of SS amps at any volume.

What you really need is a new home.

how old are your neighbours? you could just, y'know, wait a couple of weeks.

I'm kidding, obviously.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Haha as much as it'd suit me to get a new house, I think that's a little out of the picture. I'm looking at a budget of around the US$1500 mark, give or take a few hundred. I'm not hugely fussed about a little bit of tone removal, but if it starts sounding excessively muddy or can't be played at bedroom volume, then I'd start looking elsewhere.
One thing that I'm really interested in is a 2x12 combo with a bit of wattage behind it (around 100watts) because I really want to get that fat, pronounced low end without making it sound muddy. I know I'm making the criteria pretty thin, but any suggestions?
Cheers
For $1,500.00, there are quite a few 100-watt 2x12 combos and you can certainly turn them down. Take a look at Carvin's V3 combo for a good one. You'll have some money left over, too.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Why not set aside some of your budget for an attenuator, as well as a good tube amp?
Quote by Duv
Oh, and for resonance just play unplugged and see if it's loud. And smack an open A chord and hold the body and see if it vibrates like a middle-aged woman's best friend.
Quote by willhurley82
Why not set aside some of your budget for an attenuator, as well as a good tube amp?

Forgive my incompetence, but could you explain exactly what an attenuator is and what it does? As far as I know, it lets you run your tubes at high power, but keeping it quiet. Is this close enough?
Quote by liam_nz
Forgive my incompetence, but could you explain exactly what an attenuator is and what it does? As far as I know, it lets you run your tubes at high power, but keeping it quiet. Is this close enough?

That's the just of it. An Attenuator sits between your head and cab sucking up the wattage.
Twitter
Soundcloud

ESP LTD EC-500
Krank Krankenstein
Krank Krankenstein 4x12 Cabinet
Alesis M-EQ 230
Ibanez TS-9 Tubescreamer
Jim Dunlop Cry Baby GC95
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Quote by tehbeatnik
That's the just of it. An Attenuator sits between your head and cab sucking up the wattage.

What if I had a combo amp? Sometimes they have a cable running through the back that connects it to it's internal speakers, right?
Not sure how they work with a combo or if it is safe with a combo. Hopefully someone with much more experience using the attenuators will pop-in this thread throughout the day.
Twitter
Soundcloud

ESP LTD EC-500
Krank Krankenstein
Krank Krankenstein 4x12 Cabinet
Alesis M-EQ 230
Ibanez TS-9 Tubescreamer
Jim Dunlop Cry Baby GC95
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Works just the same, but you really dont need an attenuator, they can suck the life out of your tubes faster then you think. A 50 watt amp will do the job just as well as an 100 watt.
A big tube amp won't sound bad at lower volumes. Alot of people on this forum will tell you that tubes only sound good at high volumes,and that anything other than power tube saturation isn't good enough.
You don't NEED power amp distortion to get a good sound out of a tube amp,it's just that often,it sounds nicer when you do have the tubes cooking.However sometimes,the depth that headroom can create might be the sound you are after,especially through a qaudbox.
Alot of it will depend on if you only play by yourself at home,if you play with other people.
If you only play at home,by all means,buy a low wattage tube amp.For hard rock/heavy metal,it may well be just right.
If your occasionally jamming with a some friends,go a bit higher,maybe 30 watts or so and maybe a 2x12,to get some volume happening over a drum kit.
If you play in a band regularly,50 watts is nice,plenty of scope there,but that's not to say your 5 watt,or 30 watt amp can't be used in that situation,mic'd up or something.
And that's also not to say that a 50 watter will sound terrible when your just noodling away at home.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
What about a modelling amp such as a Vox VT40+? It has plenty of decent sounding amp models built in (including the JCM 800) and has a power attenuator built in to take it from 0 to 50 watts.

It has headphone capability as well. Giggable (but there is a 80 and 120 watt version that might be more suitable).

It isn't your valve (I'm an Englishman - tubes are hollow pipes!) amp, but might be more practical in the short term and wont chew up your budget for when you want to buy the genuine article later on.
i vote tube, also i'm laughing my ass off at the guy that said "what you really need is a new home"
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
Quote by Goodtimes666
i vote tube, also i'm laughing my ass off at the guy that said "what you really need is a new home"

Yeah, it's usually "you need a new amp"

And I'd go for the tube amp. What's wrong with loud noise? You'll be in a house and they probably wont be able to hear most of it.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Pod HD + monitor speakers.

The Pod HD comes pretty close to the sounds and dynamics of a tube amp. Also I have an attenuator and it doesn't suck up all that much volume. You're not gonna be able to run a 10 watt amp full anywhere close to the half mark on the MV and expect the attenuator to take it down to whisper volumes.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Agreed kitty. An attenuator is to make an already hard driven amp's power valves distort even more. They aren't supposed to turn a 100W amp into a 1W amp. That aint their purpose.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Agreed kitty. An attenuator is to make an already hard driven amp's power valves distort even more. They aren't supposed to turn a 100W amp into a 1W amp. That aint their purpose.

The damn problem lie with all these half ignorant n00bz that come online and suddenly discover an attenuator, and think it's some magical pixie dust that will turn a thrashing daemon into a purring kitten.

There's nothing more dangerous than a n00ber with a little bit of knowledge.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
if you do decide to look at solid state amps, old sunn SS amps (70's or 80's) sound very good, and are decently cheap. they are usually pretty loud tho; had my concert lead on one yesterday and my ears were on the verge of starting to hurt. plenty of bass too.