I've heard from a few people that the sustain blocks you can buy as upgrades for your floyd rose (floyd upgrades dot com) really help increase sustain and improve tone.

What are your thoughts on this? Have any of you tried it out? For the brass block upgrade it's only around 40 dollars, so I'm thinking of doing it.

I also don't know what size to get though. This would be for my Alexi-600 and/or my Edwards RV.
Last edited by fixationdarknes at Aug 16, 2011,
I had a 37mm in my schecter and I liked the extra bit of sustain.
ESP Eclipse Standard Series W/ PRS Santana II Pickups
PRS SE Soapbar II
Peavey 5150 120w Head
Avatar 412 Traditional Cab(v30's+G12H30's)
Malekko, Rocktron, T-Rex and MXR/Dunlop pedals
I did it on my old Schecter. I didn't notice any difference. I'm sure it makes more of a difference on a tremolo with a pot metal block, but the original Floyd already has a steel block, and while it's not a thick, It's solid steel, so I'm sure it does sustain better.
Hm... any other opinions on how much of a difference it makes? Also, is it easy to install/remove? If I wanted to eventually sell the guitar I'm planning on putting the sustain block in, could I easily remove the block and put the original block back in?
Quote by fixationdarknes
Hm... any other opinions on how much of a difference it makes? Also, is it easy to install/remove? If I wanted to eventually sell the guitar I'm planning on putting the sustain block in, could I easily remove the block and put the original block back in?

Depends on your definition of easy. Yes, their are only a few screws to take out, then you put the new block in and the screws in. But Floyd Rose screws suck and strip out. I stripped one of the intonation screws out when I did it. Luckily, I had a few on hand for such an emergency. And then you have to reintonate the guitar. You can mark the tremolo with a permanent marker where the saddle are, and may just get away with doing that, but I still had to intonate it when I was done. I don't have the intonation tool for floyds, so it's a pain in the ass.

If I could do it all over again, I wouldn't do it. It didn't really help the sustain, it just made the block bigger so my range with the tremolo was a little more limited.