As I said, I need to buy some mixing headphones.
After spending loads of time mixing in rented spaces with monitors, i've finally been able to set up a small home set up.
As it stands I won't be able to buy any monitors as I dont really have the spac, so i'm going to mix, etc, through headphones.

Any suggestions??
my limit really is about £130 (dont know what that is in $ or euros =S)

I was thinking about getting the AKG K240 MKII Semi-Open Circumaural Studio Headphones. Opinions?

thanks guys
People constantly say that you shouldn't mix on headphones, but I do occasionally and I know some people who only ever mix with headphones. I suppose it's more about knowing your monitoring system, than having a perfect environment.

If you are insistent on doing so, then the Audio Technica ATH- M50's are the only way to go in my opinion. Easily the best headphones in their price range and better many headphones 2 to 4 times the price.
yeah i've heard that as well, but as i said, I just dont have the space at the moment lol
but thank you very much dude!!
Seriously though, check the Audio Technica ATH- M50's out man. They are amazing! I love my pair, I always use them even if it's just for referencing low end and vocal glue
mate I had a look at em, reviews and what not.....in my amazon baskt now lol
mate you're a star
Audio Technica ATH-M50s or Beyerdynamic DT770s, both very good sets of headphones, well fit for mixing and mastering on in an untreated room, and quite reasonably priced.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by AdamG313
Seriously though, check the Audio Technica ATH- M50's out man. They are amazing! I love my pair, I always use them even if it's just for referencing low end and vocal glue

This.

I have some and they are amazing. You won't regret buying them.
Quote by AdamG313
People constantly say that you shouldn't mix on headphones, but I do occasionally and I know some people who only ever mix with headphones. I suppose it's more about knowing your monitoring system, than having a perfect environment.

If you are insistent on doing so, then the Audio Technica ATH- M50's are the only way to go in my opinion. Easily the best headphones in their price range and better many headphones 2 to 4 times the price.

You shouldnt mix with headphones Because you cant get a good represantation of the Stereo Image of your track.
Quote by ShevanelFlip
You shouldnt mix with headphones Because you cant get a good represantation of the Stereo Image of your track.

You also shouldn't mix with headphones because it creates a miniature room around each each, which causes inaccurate frequency replication.

But then again, you shouldn't mix in an untreated room for the very same reason. So unless you happen to have an acoustically treated space to mix in (and I don't mean a few broadband absorbers on the walls and superchunks in the corners) then you'll encounter the very same problem headphones cause.

At the end of the day, for home studio/bedroom warrior use, it is far more important to know the system you're using to monitor your mix than using what is considered correct. If you know your system well then you can compensate in the mix, whether you're mixing on headphones or with monitors.
Quote by ShevanelFlip

Not true.

If you have a good set of headphones, they are more than usable for mixing. If your room isn't treated, a higher end pair of headphones will rival the accuracy of any room and setup costing much more. You just need to find headphones that work well for you and your mixing style. The problem with headphones isn't that they create a false image, it's that they're often very hyped in certain frequencies, which make your mixes come out very bass heavy or bass deficient, a good pair will not have these problems.

A LOT of mastering engineers actually prefer to master on headphones.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
All my stuff is tracked/mixed/mastered on headphones (ATH-M50s) and they come out pretty well.

Demo example: http://soundcloud.com/crimson267/song-12-survival-of-the
Last edited by Afroboy267 at Aug 17, 2011,
Quote by Afroboy267
All my stuff is tracked/mixed/mastered on headphones (ATH-M50s) and they come out pretty well.

Demo example: http://soundcloud.com/crimson267/song-12-survival-of-the

Not bad.

This is actually probably one of the best productions I've heard on UG so far. The snare is too loud and tends to distract a bit, but it's not anything I'd contribute really to the headphones... the general tones from the guitar/bass are still pretty good. A little refining (mainly, different drum tones) and it would sound very good.

Hell,

I mixed this almost entirely on iPhone headphones while I was building the rack for my new desk

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4018922/Song%20Ideas/The%20Butcher.mp3

Guitar tone is a bit grainy, but I plan on fixing that when I'm done writing the song and reamp it
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Aug 17, 2011,
Quote by MatrixClaw
Not bad.

This is actually probably one of the best productions I've heard on UG so far. The snare is too loud and tends to distract a bit, but it's not anything I'd contribute really to the headphones... the general tones from the guitar/bass are still pretty good. A little refining (mainly, different drum tones) and it would sound very good.

Hell,

I mixed this almost entirely on iPhone headphones while I was building the rack for my new desk

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4018922/Song%20Ideas/The%20Butcher.mp3

Guitar tone is a bit grainy, but I plan on fixing that when I'm done writing the song and reamp it

Aha, thanks . I need to sit down a create some presets for drums in the demos i do. They're only to show other band mates the ideas i come up with really, maybe to release as demos too.

Your one sounds pretty good especially considering you mixed on iPhone headphones lol. This is turning into criting mixes a bit now aha.

So yeah, headphones are fine unless you want higher quality mixes than what you've heard from our 2 tracks. Important thing to focus on for the moment is stuff like EQ'ing.
Quote by MatrixClaw

A LOT of mastering engineers actually prefer to master on headphones.

Like who?

... and a source for this "fact"?

I would believe they would use them for a "check", but never as a main tool.

Mastering engineers use treated rooms and excellent monitors.

About mixing on headphones:
http://www.bluebearsound.com/articles/headphones.htm

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
I got my audio technica ATH-M50 from musciansfriend.com and they have this thing were they will beat any price on the headphones and i found them for 98$ at titanpeak.com so i call comstumer support and musciansfriend cut the price of the headphones down to 89$.They cost 150$ every were else new.So i got a heck of a deal!
Quote by axemanchris
Like who?

... and a source for this "fact"?

I would believe they would use them for a "check", but never as a main tool.

Mastering engineers use treated rooms and excellent monitors.

About mixing on headphones:
http://www.bluebearsound.com/articles/headphones.htm

CT

Plec over on Andy Sneap has said several times in several different threads that he would prefer to mix on headphones than in an environment he didn't know. In fact he even says in a Mastering 101 thread (number 2 of many) that monitoring on headphones can be done, you just have to learn. Here's a link: http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/andy-sneap/674934-panic-room-mastering-class-101-2-monitoring-objectivity.html
So, what I got from that link is:
-some guy who has done a bunch of bands, though none that I have heard of says that you can mix and master with headphones
-said guy recommends nothing made in the last five years, and has very specific recommendations in the $500 range - admits it is *very* hard to find good headphones
-one of Germany's best mastering engineers uses headphones.

Wow... a bit underwhelming in the evidence department, no?

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Finding info on some of the bigger names can be tricky but here are a few I found:
Mutt Lange - seems to be a fan of Dynaudio monitors - http://www.dynaudioacoustics.com/default.asp?id=302

Bob Rock - UREI 813 monitors - http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr04/articles/bobrock.htm

Steve Albini - Tannoy and Yamaha monitors - http://www.chemicalsound.com/gear.html

Bob Clearmountain - Dynaudio monitors - http://mixthis.com/equipment.html

Would you like me to find more?

CT

Aha, I wasn't planning on wading through hundreds of threads to find exactly what I'm talking about. I had to go to work.

Also I think you're taking this a bit out of context. The thread is about headphones for a home studio, not the monitoring equipment used by people who are sat in a top studio that's booked out 3 to 6 months ahead of any given date and charge top rates for their work. The point was that, for all intensive purposes, headphones work in an amateur set up. Why would anybody be using headphones while sat in any studio that owns any of the equipment you referenced? I doubt anyone here has the budget to buy even one of those monitors, in fact I doubt anyone how owns that kind of equipment would be in the recording section of UG period.

The point of my comment was to show that you can learn to mix on headphones if you take the time to learn how. I didn't say that it's ideal, I didn't say mix on headphones instead of monitors, I didn't say that anyone should choose headphones over monitors, I just said it was possible. Headphones may not work for you, but people on low budget and lacking in environment they may work.
Quote by MatrixClaw
Audio Technica ATH-M50s or Beyerdynamic DT770s, both very good sets of headphones, well fit for mixing and mastering on in an untreated room, and quite reasonably priced.

This is as good a recommendation as they get at this price range.

Just to weigh in on the pro's and headphones thing - a lot of professional guys speaking directly have always said to me that a good pair of headphones is infinitely preferable to an decent set of monitors in a sub-par untreated room; from an amateur perspective. Once you take the dodgy room response out of what you are hearing it can help a lot - although some guys do prefer the feel of having speakers in a room - enclosed audio environments like headphones can feel a bit misleading if you are not used to them.

On the mastering engineer front I've also heard a lot of guys say that they do quite a bit of double checking on headphones to check their changes are consistent.
Owen - Sound Engineer - Mixing & Editing Available, PM for details.