So, I have an Ibanez Gio HSH guitar, with the infamous Edge III tremolo.

My intention is to pimp this guitar and upgrade it from an un-used backup for my Fender Jag into a frequently used second guitar. As it was a gift from my girlfriend, I consider this to be a better option than selling it and purchasing a new guitar, as;

A) I don't want to hurt her feelings (I am a considerate man)
B) I freakin' love modifying and upgrading my gear.

The obvious upgrades are the bridge and pickups.

I've done a fair amount of research on bridge replacements, and it seems there are a few drop-in replacements for the Edge III, namely the Edge Pro and the OFR. I've read conflicting reports that the Gotoh system will (or wont) fit the route, but I'm not against an extra bit of routing/sanding to get a different system to fit. Any suggestions/reccomendations in this field?

As for pickups, the guitar is a HSH setup. I plan on installing a 'bucker sized p90 in the neck, but I'm unsure of what to install in the bridge and the middle positions. I'm thinking something with raw power in the bridge, and something more mellow and twangy in the middle postion, which should give me a diverse range of tones (I play quiet/loud rock, I guess post-rock or shoegaze might be an accurate description). As I've decided on the pickup for the neck position, does anyone have any reccomendations for the other two pickups?

I'm considering other modifications - in the Jag I installed a coil split (it's a HH setup) but dont think it's would be needed for the Ibanez. I was thinking maybe a killswitch, but I have one of those in pedal form. Any suggestions for cool (but useable) mods that can be installed directly into the guitar?

Cheers in advance guys. I'll take any advice on board and keep you all updated on the project once it's underway.

- Matt
Last edited by Mathamology at Aug 16, 2011,
Change the electronics (pots etc) since, as I remember, on cheaper Ibanezes they are quite shit.

Another worthwhile thing is to shield the various cavities, either with foil or with conductive paint.

As far as I know, the OFR is a drop-in for Edge III-equipped guitars, no other modifications should be necessary.

As for pickups, I personally would put in the good old Air Norton / True Velvet / Tone Zone combination that you find on higher end Prestiges. It's really effective.

Most importantly, have a professional do a fret job (leveling & stuff). It will tremendously improve playability.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
It's cool that you want to upgrade your guitar, but you could get an Ibanez s470 used for $300. It's a neck-thru and has the awesome ZR tremolo already in it. A new floyd would cost nearly $200, and you could sell the Gio to make up the difference.

Sorry for not helping with the questions you asked, I just think a new guitar would be a much better upgrade.
Well, if you got an Ofr that's 170 roughly, then air norton, true velvet, tone zone dimarzio pups would put you at roughly 180-200. Pots are 20 bucks for a set of EVH burns low friction pots which are the top of the line.
Quote by ProphecyMaster
Well, if you got an Ofr that's 170 roughly, then air norton, true velvet, tone zone dimarzio pups would put you at roughly 180-200. Pots are 20 bucks for a set of EVH burns low friction pots which are the top of the line.

Translation: You're dropping $400 worth of parts in a $150-$200 guitar.
I pride myself on my humility.