http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKI4DtM9ZCk

The 4th note in that lick is the note to pay attention to :P

Basically i play a lot of Avenged Sevenfold, and their lead guitarist Synyster Gates plays a lot of these notes when he plays a solo, as shown in the video above. Sometimes i'm able to play them but other times i'm not. I don't know how i'm doing it but i want to know how and i want to know if there's a particular name for what i'm playing.
Some might say it's a pinch harmonic but it doesn't sound right.

I split the short video into 3 examples

1 - Played normally

2 - Played how i want to be able to play

3 - Played with a pinch harmonic

Excuse my shocking tone haha.

Thank you (:

NOTE: It would likely be a lot easier to notice the difference if my recording quality wasn't so terrible. Sorry :c
Last edited by vayne92 at Aug 16, 2011,
It's just a bend with some vibrato...?
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
It's just a bend with some vibrato...?

True, however there's a distinctive tone difference between the first and second example if you listen closely and it's created through my picking i'm quite sure.
Its just a half-step bend with some vibrato added ... I don't see where your problem is?

EDIT:
It also seems like the first bend is a little bit to flat something like just a 0.4 bend and vibrato and your second one is a bit higher like 0.6 bend and some vibrato.
Last edited by BSPDelta09 at Aug 16, 2011,
Quote by BSPDelta09
Its just a half-step bend with some vibrato added ... I don't see where your problem is?

I don't know what my problem is either and why i can't imitate that sound whenever i want :|
See my edit. It may just be your bends are a little bit sloppy and you don't bend them to the right pitch every time.
Quote by BSPDelta09
See my edit. It may just be your bends are a little bit sloppy and you don't bend them to the right pitch every time.

So basically what you would be saying is that to get that sound every time my bends would have to be completely pitch perfect to hear that distinct difference? Cos i can only achieve that sound about 50% of the time.

What i also find interesting is because Synyster Gates hits these "pitch perfect" bends a lot, very very very few guitarists who cover his music can imitate that sound. So is this problem i'm experiencing not uncommon then?
Last edited by vayne92 at Aug 16, 2011,
Just what I said. I assume your first bend is a little bit to flat. So practise your bending technique might solve the problem, because for me the second bend sounds slighlty higher than the first one.

Edit:
Just want to say: Synyster Gates bends are always that perfect. He bends them slightly out of tune as well. For example if there is a 0.5 -step bend, he bends like 0.6, so it isn't wrong at all, but it is not "perfect pitch" bend as you called.
Last edited by BSPDelta09 at Aug 16, 2011,
UPDATE (lol):

So right now i'm 99% sure it is not the bending technique but the picking technique. I can achieve both the regular sound and the sound i want with no bending or vibrato, so it has to be something about my picking?
Quote by vayne92
UPDATE (lol):

So right now i'm 99% sure it is not the bending technique but the picking technique. I can achieve both the regular sound and the sound i want with no bending or vibrato, so it has to be something about my picking?

You might hit the second bend a little bit harder. But usually it doesn't affect the pitch of a note, just how the note sounds.
Pay attention to the angle you're hitting the string at, maybe. As BSPDelta basically said, hitting the string harder can make it ring louder without actually affecting the pitch, and your pick attack can make a big difference.
Check out my punk band!!! Lizard on the Window We found a drummer and are now recording.

White Version FC: 4083 9268 4644
White 2 FC: 5372 8215 3622
3DS FC: 1676 4085 1677
The only other thing i can think of would be maybe where your left hand finger is landing on the fret. Look for that "sweet spot" or some crap, idk.