My 14 year old has been playing the guitar for the last 8 years and has a few guitars. He came home today with this one that he bought in a local charity shop as he liked the head on it. Its had a good clean and the spiders evicted.

Can anyone tell me if the head is designed this way for anything specific ? I have tried googling it but cant find any like it. The only names that we can find on it is GOTOH on the tuning pegs and Cannibal on the head. The back has a skunk mark. Its a very heavy guitar.

Sounds really nice now that he has taken it apart and cleaned and tightened everything up. Very clean sound to it. He has put some new strings on it but its not keeping in tune.

I would appriciate if anyone can shine any light on it for us.

Rachel

Last edited by mx5girl at Aug 16, 2011,
Looks like a reasonably high quality strat copy. The headstock is quite interesting though. Gotoh are a good parts manufacturer. Is there no branding on the bridge or the pickups?
How much do you know about guitars yourself?

Would you be able to give a quick rundown of the general quality of the parts/woods/manufacture? Because if it is a good quality piece, it rules out no-name el-cheapo brands that stamp whatever they feel like on the headstock.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
I couldnt tell you what wood its made of but can try to do some clear close up photos of any parts if it would help.

Its heavier than any of his other guitars which include Washburn, Axe, Johnson and a vintage fender strat.

Its very low action. The whammy sounds are better than any of his other guitars.

You can really hear the difference when you use the switches which i know isnt so good with the cheap supermarket ones. The switch is 5 point.
Quote by mx5girl
Does anyone have any ideas why the head is set up this way ?

MusicMan copy ?
ive never seen any guitar buy the brand name 'cannibal'. but if it was up to me, i would say its most likely a beginner strat from the 90's. there were a lot of copy/starter brands that went up and down.
it's probably a copy company from the 90's.

As for the tuning issue: tighten the screws in the tuning pegs to make them stiffer, and put a little graphite (from pencil lead) in the nut to see if that doesn't help keep it in tune!
Quote by sashki
I think someone just modified the headstock for the sake of being different.

I dont think so, if that were the case the hi E tuner would have the gear of the tuner pointing in the opposite direction as the others. It is clearly a mirror of the other 5 tuners, so unless they got another tuner, Id say it came that way.
Quote by dazza027
I dont think so, if that were the case the hi E tuner would have the gear of the tuner pointing in the opposite direction as the others. It is clearly a mirror of the other 5 tuners, so unless they got another tuner, Id say it came that way.

I dont think it has been modified that way either. Looks all original and well made.
Quote by sashki
I think someone just modified the headstock for the sake of being different.

Doubt it, the tuners are all evenly spaced, there is no hole where a 6th tuner should have gone