Ok soo I'm lookin' for a new guitar and I came across the Schecter Blackjack ATX C-1 which fit my requirements quite well. However, I hear a lot of talk about how Schecter is a bad company and what not. I'd rather not spend $750 before getting a background check which is why I looked into Ibanez as well. The S&R-Series look decent and seem suitable for metal (my playing style) but I don't know which way to go on this one. Another problem I have with the Ibanez's is that none of them have ebony fretboards which I prefer. Any insight?
Go for a 2nd hand Ibanez Rga121....

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Schecter isn't a bad company at all...

You'll have to try some. The necks are very different, the S and RG series have very thin wizards, the Blackjack having a bit of a beefier profile. I really like thin necks, you might not.
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Quote by Tom 1.0

This
Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan SH-6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 25r (crappy)
MXR CAE WAH
Digitech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion (Makes the amp sound not shitty)
The blackjack ATX c1 is hands down the best Schecter I have ever played. I'm not one for Schecters but, if you're going to go for one, IMO go for that one.

I can't help you with the Ibanezes though.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by Tom 1.0

I have one, so frickin good, upgraded pickups to blackouts, and it rips.

Don't worry too much about not having an ebony fretboard. The neck profile is the decider in this matchup, I HATE schecter necks - sticky, glossy, thick. Ibanez wizard necks are a dream to play on - thin, satin finish over bare wood, perfect for shredding and nice for chording too
Quote by gilly_90
The blackjack ATX c1 is hands down the best Schecter I have ever played. I'm not one for Schecters but, if you're going to go for one, IMO go for that one.

I can't help you with the Ibanezes though.

how's the lack of fret markers? that's the only thing that bothers me about that guitar
Quote by qtip2293
However, I hear a lot of talk about how Schecter is a bad company and what not.

I'm new to guitar world, but 1 thing I can tell you, don't base your decisions only on what you read on forums.

I bought my blackjack, as first electric (don't have much experiece to decide what is best and what is worst), and when I did, 3 weeks ago, all the comments about schecter I found were all positive.

If I were you, I go to a guitar store and try out the guitars there. Maybe you'll end up buying something completely different

From my (few) experience, I can say I prefer schecter so far, due to the more confortable neck (at least for me). It's also true I didn't try many guitars.

About my blackjack, I like it, it is confortable to play, I like the pickups' sound, but can't tell you about how versatile it is (have a bad amp, that doesn't help much).
Be careful to make sure the one you buy don't have problems on the E string bending (mine don't sound that great when I bend that one).
Maybe try more than one of the model you want to buy.

Obviously just my opinion.

EDIT:
Quote by qtip2293
how's the lack of fret markers? that's the only thing that bothers me about that guitar

Well...it's only esthetical problem.
It has fret markers on the side of the fretboard by the way.
Last edited by Michele_R at Aug 16, 2011,
Quote by Michele_R

Well...it's only esthetical problem.
It has fret markers on the side of the fretboard by the way.

yea I know but I'm not sure how much I rely on the front ones. im on vacation without my guitar atm so it's hard to tell but i don't think i even look at the side ones
i would go for the schecter. ive heard only good things about the company....also i prefer set necks, ebony boards, and mahogany bodies...and the blackouts seem pretty beast; i also love satin finishes.
im actually saving up to get the blackjack atx c-1...

Quote by qtip2293
yea I know but I'm not sure how much I rely on the front ones. im on vacation without my guitar atm so it's hard to tell but i don't think i even look at the side ones

naw trust me the side ones are enough...besides as you get better you stop looking at the fretmarkers in general...you know where the notes are; also if its that huge a deal, you could put decals in it that look like real inlays....i love the look of the black ebony board without inlays though.
Quote by qtip2293

You don't need fret markers on the fingerboard, the one's on the side will do the job just fine. Have you ever looked at a classical guitar? No fret markers anywhere. Eventually, you just learn by feel, and there are many amazing classical guitarists that never miss a note.

As for Schecter vs Ibanez, if you can get a used Japanese Ibanez, then go for it, it'll be a better guitar in the end, but you'll probably need a pickup upgrade. Just make sure you know what you need out of a guitar before you buy, because if you need a hardtail, but you get an Ibanez with a Floyd, you may not be happy in the end.

And no, Schecter isn't a bad company. They are a low-mid range guitar company, and they offer a great product for that price. There are just too many haters out there.

One last thing, if you want to save some cash, and you want a tremolo and neck-thru, and Ibanez S470 can be found used for around $300. It's Korean made(like the Schecter) and a good guitar. You will need new pickups though, and you may not be able to use actives because you might not be able to fit a battery in the control cavity. The fretboard is not ebony, but it's a damn fine guitar for the price, easily as good as the Schecter(though different), and worth a look at.
Last edited by W4RP1G at Aug 16, 2011,
Personal preference thing. The neck on the Schecter ATX C1 is too chunky for me, so i decided against it. In fact i found the necks on all the Scghecters i have picked up to be a little chunky for me.

I love super thin, super fast necks. So its Ibanez all the way for me (although i am about to switch loyalties and get a Music Man).
You could get a used MIJ Ibanez for that price. That's going to be better quality than a Korean Schecter. But it basically comes down to you. Schecters and Ibbys are totally opposite neck profiles basically. The Schecters have kind of fat necks while Ibanez are basically some of the thinnest out there. Try out a high end Schecter (Blackjack or Hellraiser) then try out a MIJ Ibanez (Prestiges, or 90's Ibanezes with serial numbers starting with F)
I would go for the Ibby if I were you.

Schecter is by no means a low-mid budget company. They are only low-mid budget in the West. There are Japanese Schecter that go for 2k-3k.

Not sure how actually good they are, but there are some that compete with very prestigeous brands (going by price alone).
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
I own a Ibanez RG prestige 2550 (lefthanded) and a Schecter C-1 Blackjack (thats quite the same as the atx but without tremolo-system but a string through body bridge)

I recommend you to play both of them before buying one to see which one fits your style better but here are the advantages of each of them:

Ibanez:
The neck (!!!): almost playing itself, real flat and comfortable to play, if you are a shredder or want to become one, thats your guitar

The versatility: the pickups are hot but not to hot and deliver a quite bright tone (closer to a strat than a les paul) if you buy one with HSH-Pickups u have a really versatile guitar (unfortunally the premium-RGs dont have a Single-Coil in every model (the ones with the quilted maple finishes only have two humbuckers, so if you need an additional single-coil (quite usefull no matter which style you are playing), you have to buy a prestige which is more expensive or a premium with a simple black finish)

Schecter:
Tone: this guitar has lots of sustain and a "full" and deeper tone, sounds really good, lots of sustain

Well to be honest: both are quite good guitars but i think the ibanez is the better one (for me).. if it is possibly try to test at least the schecter and either a ibanez rg premium or rg prestige..

i think it will not be easy to test a schecter because there are not sooo many dealers there, who sell this but you could at least try to get a hand on an ibanez premium or even prestige, because when i played a prestige the first time i instantly knew that this is the right guitar for me

edit: i corrected the part where i talked about the versatility: there are some premium rgs with HSH-Pickups
Last edited by derAlchemist at Aug 17, 2011,
Schecter isnt a bad company persay.
Just really overpriced in some places and theres some rabid fanboys going about which will obviously cause a backlash.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Schecter isnt a bad company persay.
Just really overpriced in some places and theres some rabid fanboys going about which will obviously cause a backlash.

Well it's not that they're overpriced in those areas, it's just that they're worth that much there, like the way an LP Custom is here. Schecter doesn't sell the same guitar models they do in Europe here. They are much finer quality over there, and well worth it, IMO.
Quote by LostKeys
Well it's not that they're overpriced in those areas, it's just that they're worth that much there, like the way an LP Custom is here. Schecter doesn't sell the same guitar models they do in Europe here. They are much finer quality over there, and well worth it, IMO.

What?
A £899 schecter hellraiser is the same guitar as a $600 schecter hellraiser. You do the currency conversion.
Quote by coolstoryangus
What?
A £899 schecter hellraiser is the same guitar as a $600 schecter hellraiser. You do the currency conversion.

+1

if we were getting the Japanese schecters for those prices, then maybe, but we're getting the same bog standard ones you are, just getting ripped for double the price.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
well by the way u said you took a look at the s&r-series so you mean the s-series and the rg-series, right?
as you play metal u should play a rg- not a s-series guitar, and as i said before take a closer look at the new premium series, thats between de usual RGs and the more expensive prestige guitars (well compared to fender and gibson you get a lot more value for the same money anyway)
how is the s series not good for metal but the rg series is, out of interest?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm trieing to rack my brain for a potential stupid reason but i cant find one.

Looking forward to this

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
For metulz I'd personally play an S over an RG because mahogany gives you thicker tones, lol. But then again that's just me, personal thing. I know guys who swear by their basswood axes.
S series are interesting. While the tone isnt thin, its a bit snappier and not as bassy then your typical mahogany guitar because of the thin body.
Quote by coolstoryangus
S series are interesting. While the tone isnt thin, its a bit snappier and not as bassy then your typical mahogany guitar because of the thin body.

This is my experience as well.

I prefer the big basswood RG body though.