I have a Gibson SG standard and play through a Blackstar ht-100, pedal wise i use a Damage Control Demonizer pedal which i am most likely going to change for a Blackstar overide pedal soon. my question is, is it worth changing my stock gibson sg pick ups for a set of Bare knuckle ones or something similar? really fancy it but not sure if i should invest in anymore gear i dont need! was thinking about getting the change due to me starting a groove metal band similar to lamb of god, machine head and pantera and wanted abit more punchh from the sg as i find it is perfect for blues and hard rock but can lack abit in metal any help would be really appreciated!
Stock pickups tend to be very versatile (to give a guitar a larger potential market), especially for companies like Gibson (not so much Jackson etc, metal or jazz brands). You get the idea.

You have a fairly solid guitar and amp set up, so if you have a particular tone you're searching for, it can't hurt to go down the pickup route.

tl;dr Go for it, but have a look around. If you want to keep a bluesy tone as well as having a more metal one, then you'll need to find the exact pickups.
call me ziggy.
was thinking about this but the tech-e in my local guitar shop said i would have to get a battery pack put into the guitar (cutting a large hole in my sg) which i just couldn't do to my sg, it would be unholy
Quote by alexbsg
was thinking about this but the tech-e in my local guitar shop said i would have to get a battery pack put into the guitar (cutting a large hole in my sg) which i just couldn't do to my sg, it would be unholy

on the contrary... it would become quite hole-y...

Fender MIJ '62 Reissue Telecaster
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Jet City JCA20H
Orange PPC212
ZVex Fuzz Factory
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS-9
Boss DD-7
Digitech Whammy IV
Generally the answer to this thread title is 'what you really need is a new amp...' But in this case I think it'd be a logical upgrade.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
thats exactly what im after! a slightly more earth-e natural metal tone not to processed! problem is have found clips of bare knuckle pick ups on youtube pretty un helpful and i dont know how i would go trying out all the different pick ups in person so was wondering if anyone has one of the metal pair of bare knuckle pick ups like the war pig or aftermath? cheers for the help
Try EQ'ing your amp differently first. It should be fairly easy to get that tone with your current setup. But if you absolutely can't get something close enough to what you want, then I recommend looking into high-gain Seymour Duncan pickups.
I like passives but the sound im going for is abit more natural which i think u can only get with active emg's which would require my guitar to become hole-y (Love the pun Led Head). and yeah the amp is an absolute motherf***er so its most certainly not that which is the problem!
I don't think changing pickups is a bad idea - you've got a good base guitar, so they wouldn't be wasted. Since you mentioned Bareknuckle and those bands, a Miracle Man set could be worth looking at. I swapped them EMGs out of my Epi SG for them and think they sound great.
Obligatory gear list
Guitars
Ibanez SZ4020 w/BKP Miracle Man set
Cort X-11 w/EMG 85+81
Tanglewood TSB58 HB w/BKP Nailbomb & Cold Sweat
Epiphone SG Prophecy w/Seymour Duncan/Ibz
Basses
Indie Swamp 4
Ibanez BTB 775 PB
Amps
Engl Screamer 50
Quote by alexbsg
I like passives but the sound im going for is abit more natural which i think u can only get with active emg's

I'm not a metal guy, so maybe I just don't understand what you mean by 'natural,' but to me there is nothing more unnatural sounding than active pick ups.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
I'm not a metal guy, so maybe I just don't understand what you mean by 'natural,' but to me there is nothing more unnatural sounding than active pick ups.

sorry man got them mixed up! work must be getting to me and lyonk55 i see u have all your guitars with bare knuckle pick ups in them what are the particular sound difference in each? sorry to be a pain just wanna know which ones would suit me best and Dio10101 which seymour duncan model do u suggest there are many and was thinking of exploring that route but the bare knuckles have been recommended by a mate of mine, and the tone on my amp is great it just needs abit more clarity and punch when its on high distortion which i think my sg is lacking in abit atm
More clarity and punch?
How about a boost? A Tubescreamer or a Maxon OD808 set clean should do the trick.
Quote by Leather Sleeves
Most of those guys use emgs, 81 in the bridge is pretty standard for most metal.

No
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Quote by tubetime86
Generally the answer to this thread title is 'what you really need is a new amp...' But in this case I think it'd be a logical upgrade.

+1

regarding the pedal, though- aren't the ht series amps meant to be based on the blackstar pedals? you might be paying money for something you more or less already have...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Id say go for a pup change, or an amp change.
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Bare Knuckles will make a good difference. But if you live in America look into some of the American handmade pickups. There are a lot of people that make them and there are some good deals to be had.
I'd recommend a Duncan JB/59 set or maybe a Custom 5/59. Both give you enough gain to do metal, while keeping a well rounded tone. the JB is a little hotter than the Custom 5.

Check out my band! Endeavor

Fender American Deluxe Telecaster (little 59')
Peavey 5150 II
Orange PPC412
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Monster Power Pro 900
Korg Pitchblack Pro
Sennheiser EW 172 Wireless
Carvin 6 space rack
if you swap pickups keep the originals, at some point you might wish you had. When ever i swap out i always keep the ones that came with the guitar.
Pickup swap seems like it would be your best solution, seeing as how you have a pretty nice rig already. Btw, only Machine Hrad out of those bands use EMGs. Dimebag used Bill Lawrence pickups and Lamb Of God use Seymour Duncans. Both Passive. I think the BKP would be killer in your SG
Send BKP an e-mail with tones you want, your set up and all that jazz. I'd also keep the Damage Control over the Blackstar pedal. The Blackstar one is the exact same thing as your amp's dirty channel and the Damage Control is bad ass.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
i have a Gibson SG that i threw two EMG 81's in it, and was pleasently suprised. granted i am going for a different tone, as mine are more geared toward doom/sludge type of stuff, and deep chugging and dark melodies. i actually got rid of all the pots and replaced it with an on/off switch before the jack. works perfectly for me, but it is kind of an odd situation. i was turned onto the beauity of EMG 81's in SG's by Kirk Windstein and Pepper Keenan from Down.

the only thing i have to compare those driectly to that were in that exact guitar was a JB/'59, and an X2N.

just a thought since you can find EMG's so cheap (i got those two 81's for $50 for the pair with pots/jacks/switch/battery clip).

i do plan on getting a bare knuckle in the future, but at the moment thats not what i am gassing for, i need another amp first, and am content with the tone in my main guitars. lol. ampaholic speaking.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
+1 on the bare knuckle recs.

Granted emg 81s are pretty good for the whole metalcore thing, bare knuckles quite frankly shit all over them IMO. Puchiness , note definition and clarity are all the things associated with BK's.

Email BK with the genre's you play, your gear and what you want your tone to sound like. I would suggest either the BK nailbombs or aftermaths. Hit up their forums too. The guys are VERY helpful over there and will answer any queries you have.
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
Quote by 667
More clarity and punch?
How about a boost? A Tubescreamer or a Maxon OD808 set clean should do the trick.

I had thought about this option but if we are talking about pedals i find my demonizer is really thin and brittle by itself and with 0d1 on my amp is jsut to over the top even with a noise gate so was thinking of getting possibly one of the blackstar pedals,or zakk wylde overide however i have never tried a tubescreamer so dont know if it would add enough gain to the system to get what im after. Dave_Mc i have tried the basic overide blackstar pedal and it worked at giving my blackstar abit more punch was like having another gain stage added however am still unsure and am exploring ever possiblilty.
I havent tried seymour duncans but can they really compare with bkp pickups? but yeah i think i will drop Bkp an email with my spec and see what they suggest
Quote by guitarpatrick66
Bare Knuckles will make a good difference. But if you live in America look into some of the American handmade pickups. There are a lot of people that make them and there are some good deals to be had.

unfortunately i live just north of London, custom pickups are generally ridiculous at the independent manufactures ive found over here however Bkp seem to be really good and a reasonable price.

Cheers for all the help guys! sorry if i dont reply to all the messages but they are all proving useful in the search
far as i'm aware the zw is basically a lightly modded sd1... and the sd1 isn't a million miles away from a ts.

I only say it because if all you need is a boost you can get ts clones and similar for £30-£50, you don't need to fork out £100 (or whatever the blackstar or a "proper" TS costs).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by guitarpatrick66

Examples?
Ibanez RGD2127Z w/ BKP Aftermaths
Seagull Entourage Rustic
Peavey 6505 212
Dunlop ZW-45 Crybaby
a lot of the guys on Harmony Central used to love BG pickups (i know his first name is Brian, but can't remember his last), i was at one point considering buying a set for my les paul.

i honestly dont know if he is even around anymore, and also i know that he didn't specialize in high gain like BKP, BG was more blues/classic rock orientated.

they are all hand wound and when i was looking at getting some there was a three month wait.

most of them run in the $70 range IIRC, but a lot of that could have changed over time.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Dave_Mc
far as i'm aware the zw is basically a lightly modded sd1... and the sd1 isn't a million miles away from a ts.

I only say it because if all you need is a boost you can get ts clones and similar for £30-£50, you don't need to fork out £100 (or whatever the blackstar or a "proper" TS costs).

i only say about the zw cause i saw machine head use it and they get some crushing tones! but eah im really not sure what i need pedal wise atm however i beleive the bare knuckles are a step in the right direction not sure which ones yet but i got a quote of 210 from bare knuckles for a set of warpigs but still unsure which kind of bkp i want
ods only really do that sound if you use them to push an already pretty overdrive tube amp... if you're using it into the clean channel it's not going to sound like you expect
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If the Gibson is your only guitar, i highly recommend getting another guitar - you'll have a totally separate beast for higher gain applications, and you won't have to mess with your Gibson. On top of that, it's always a good idea to have an alternate/backup.

A note on EMG's - I don't know why this is so hard for people to understand, but a 9V battery easily fits in a guitar's control cavity. Whenever I see talk of drilling into a guitar, I just shake my head. It's really extreme and unnecessary.

A note on BKP's - People around here tend to treat them like the end all for pickups, but I've heard an Aftermath A/B'd with an 81, and honestly I'd take the 81. The 81 was tighter/ had more clarity. They're great pickups, but I don't personally think they're worth how much they cost. Obviously YMMV, different strokes, etc etc etc. Just make sure you listen to as many clips as you can before making a decision one way or another.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Aug 22, 2011,
Quote by tubetime86

+1

Pickups are generally pretty hard to try, but as a rule, BKP are great. Email them and ask them to help you choose, they were very helpful when I did.
Quote by Dave_Mc
ods only really do that sound if you use them to push an already pretty overdrive tube amp... if you're using it into the clean channel it's not going to sound like you expect

my blackstar has a surprising amount of gain so might do the trick!

and yes i have an ibanez cant remember the exact model but its definitely a rg series will check when i get back from work. But i want to use my gibson sg! didnt pay £800 for it to just sit in its case and i think a pick up upgrade may be the trick to just give it a little more beef! have only just got the ibanez and have only used it for stuff that requires me to use its 24 frets. but considering how cheap emgs are could always get my bkp in my gibson and get emgs put into my ibanez so i have two completely different crushing metal tones!
Quote by SwampAshSpecial
+1

Pickups are generally pretty hard to try, but as a rule, BKP are great. Email them and ask them to help you choose, they were very helpful when I did.

i just emailed them! cheers for the advice