Hey guys, I'm getting this:
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/FastTrack.html
And I will also get a Mic... I don't know which one to get.

I want to record my voice only... For singing and recording at my PC.

Should I get a Shure SM58 or a Audio Technica at2020 ? They are both in the same price range here at Buenos Aires.-

Thanks!!

My songs
My Band songs

Gear:
Vox PathFinder R15
Epiphone G-400
Accord Strato
Acoustic Guitar
POD HD 300
Boss MT2
Boss CH1
Boss DS1
Tascam US-122 MKII
AT 2020 mic
As I understand it, the AT2020 is designed for recording, so that's a good choice if that's definitely all you will ever want it for.

The SM58 is pretty much the industry standard mic if you get in a band and start gigging though. I've used it for recording as well and it does a great job for most home studio setups so it would probably be the better long term bet as it will provide you with more options for the future.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
To record, you would be far better off with an AT2020.
However, if you're going to be using it live, you would be better off with the SM58. I'd personally recommend getting both TBH, and using the AT2020 solely to record and the SM58 solely live.
Typically, the rule of thumb is Condenser > Dynamics for vocals.

AT2020: Condenser
SM58: Dynamic

Thus AT2020 > SM58

Though note I say TYPICALLY. Sometimes, vocals sound better on a dynamic than a condenser. It depends on the mic and the singer. Though about 80% of the time, Condensers sound better than Dynamics.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
see if you can test them out in the store, A/B style. some places will let you do that. if you can, you can see if one suits your voice better than the other. if you cant, its down to what you think you are going to use it for.

what kind of vocals do you plan on doing? if the primary purpose of the mic is to record screaming or harsh vocals, the sm58 will do that well. lots of people pick a sm57 or sm58 for that in studio. if you plan on doing more melodic vocals and more typical singing, the at2020 is going to be a better choice most of the time.

personally, i would pick the at2020.
Quote by robhc
To record, you would be far better off with an AT2020.
However, if you're going to be using it live, you would be better off with the SM58. I'd personally recommend getting both TBH, and using the AT2020 solely to record and the SM58 solely live.

Actually, right now, I'm just recording at home, and I don't see myself live for now.
Thanks for the tip!

Quote by Afroboy267

AT2020 for recording
SM58 for live

Great tip! Thanks!

Quote by lockwolf

Typically, the rule of thumb is Condenser > Dynamics for vocals.

AT2020: Condenser
SM58: Dynamic

Thus AT2020 > SM58

Though note I say TYPICALLY. Sometimes, vocals sound better on a dynamic than a condenser. It depends on the mic and the singer. Though about 80% of the time, Condensers sound better than Dynamics.

I won't take a chance, and get some condenser mic, probably. Thanks for the tip!

Quote by jof1029

see if you can test them out in the store, A/B style. some places will let you do that. if you can, you can see if one suits your voice better than the other. if you cant, its down to what you think you are going to use it for.

what kind of vocals do you plan on doing? if the primary purpose of the mic is to record screaming or harsh vocals, the sm58 will do that well. lots of people pick a sm57 or sm58 for that in studio. if you plan on doing more melodic vocals and more typical singing, the at2020 is going to be a better choice most of the time.

personally, i would pick the at2020.

Actually, I want to record not so screamy/harshy vocals, so I guess I'm better off with the At2020...
Thanks man!

My songs
My Band songs

Gear:
Vox PathFinder R15
Epiphone G-400
Accord Strato
Acoustic Guitar
POD HD 300
Boss MT2
Boss CH1
Boss DS1