Hi,

I know that the chords which comprise a G Major scale are G maj, A minor, B Minor, C major, D major, E minor and F# dim.

Is it possible to apply the same approach to the notes that comprise a g minor 7? For example, the G minor seventh is composed of 4 notes that together make a minor 7th chord. Can I play a chord that corresponds to each one of those notes? To explain further, each one of those notes that comprise the minor 7th I assume belong to the scale that fits within the g minor scale with the added 7th note. Is there a chord that can fit on each one of those notes?

I'm trying to apply the major scale chord harmonization approach to the notes within a minor 7th triad. Thx.
So, you want to make a series of chords using the notes from the Gmin7 chord?

So... inversions?

Or am I missing something?
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Where are you deriving the minor 7th chord? If it's diatonic to your key, then the chords are made obvious by the scale. For example, if you're arriving at this chord from the G minor scale--the tonic 7th chord--then you could harmonize diatonically with Gm, Bb, Dm, F. If you got to this chord as the 3rd chord in a Eb major scale, then it would be Gm, Bb, D*, Fm.
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.
Hi,

I know that the chords which comprise a G Major scale are G maj, A minor, B Minor, C major, D major, E minor and F# dim.

Is it possible to apply the same approach to the notes that comprise a g minor 7? For example, the G minor seventh is composed of 4 notes that together make a minor 7th chord. Can I play a chord that corresponds to each one of those notes? To explain further, each one of those notes that comprise the minor 7th I assume belong to the scale that fits within the g minor scale with the added 7th note. Is there a chord that can fit on each one of those notes?

I'm trying to apply the major scale chord harmonization approach to the notes within a minor 7th triad. a minor 7 chord is not a triad

your question is a bit confusing..

yes you can construct chords from the notes in Gmi7...lets determine what key the chord is in..lets start with the relative minor of Bb...so the Gmi scale would be..

G A Bb C D Eb F

the Gmi 7 notes are G Bb D F...using each note as a starting point you can build chords from the scale..

a simple but effective technique is using every other note of the scale to build chords

to build a chord starting on Bb would be Bb D F A this produces a BbMA7 chord

to build a chord starting on D would be D F A C this produces a Dmi7 chord

Gmi7 is also a chord in the key of Eb and F ... try and construct the chords using the every other note technique in these keys

hope this helps

play well

wolf
Do the minors and majors have to be in a specific order? I assume the order has to be the same as minors and majors that occupy the G minor scale, correct? G minor seventh is a minor chord, so I assume the order of minor and major chords should conform to the order of the G minor scale?
i know what he's trying to ask.

he's got the triads in the scale, now he wants to know what 7th chords are diatonic to it.

I-ii-iii-IV-V-vi-vii0 i wrote that cuz it sounds like u only know the gmajor scale, this works for any major scale, there are 7 notes in any major scale, each one has a corresponding roman numeral here, if its uppercase, its major, and if its lowercase, its minor. and the 0 means diminished. now adding the 7ths:

1M7-iim7-iiim7-IVM7-VD7-vim7-viiHD7

M7=major7 m7=minor7 D=dominant7 HD=half diminished 7

lol VD....
Thanks TMVATDI. It sounds like you are saying the majors and minors (and the diminished) do have to occupy the same order as (in the case of g minor scale with a relative major scale of A major) as the A major (G minor scale). I note that you added the seventh note to each of the chords in your example. Is that because you find those to best fit into the chord harmonization of the G minor 7 arpeggio?
to get that other note and 4 part harmony you just count one more space or line in the grand staff.

If A C E is A min

A C E G (these are the spaces on the bass clef)

since A min has no sharps or flats you harmonize just like the C Major scale but starting on the vi chord.

With G min, you have an F# so the vii chord is F# A C E = F#min7flat5 -- otherwise the chords should all be familiar
I think where the OP is confused is...it's not Chords that comprise a Minor 7 Scale...it's Scales that comprise Minor 7 Chords.

You got those chord from the G Major scale, not from any other chord.

G Major:

Gmaj7 Am7 Bm7 Cmaj7 D7 Em7 F#m7b5

G Minor:

Gm7 Am7b5 Bbmaj7 Cm7 Dm7 Ebmaj7 F7

Hope that helps.
Quote by Zen Skin
to get that other note and 4 part harmony you just count one more space or line in the grand staff.

If A C E is A min

since A min has no sharps or flats you harmonize just like the C Major scale but starting on the vi chord.

With G min, you have an F# so the vii chord is F# A C E = F#min7flat5 -- otherwise the chords should all be familiar

Hello Zen,

Don't I have an F Major in the G minor scale as opposed to an F#? Also, I don't see an F# in the G minor 7 arpeggio (unless I made a mistake). Can you please explain? I do get your point however.

Thx.
Quote by Zen Skin

If A C E is A min

There is no F# in the G minor scale; G A Bb C D Eb F.

The notes of a G minor7 chord are : G Bb D F (1, b3, 5, b7) To create a min7 chord you need 4 notes, so it can't be just a triad (which is 3 notes)

I think Zen has confused his G major scale and his G minor scale.

TS are you trying to Harmonize (create chords) from the G minor scale in the same fashion as you would the G major scale ? If so they are:

G min7, Amin7b5, Bbmaj7, Cmin7, Dmin7, Ebmaj7, Fdom7

I think of it as the same as the Bb major scale but starting from the 6th degree. (The relative minor)
Last edited by Zanon at Aug 18, 2011,
Quote by Zanon
I think Zen has confused his G major scale and his G minor scale.

Most classical-trained musicians think of the Harmonic Minor scale as "the" minor scale. I don't know the guy or his background, but that may be it.
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.
Thanks Zanon. That was exactly what I was looking for. Question regarding your use of the A min 7 flat 5 and the F Dominate 7. Why did you choose those chords as opposed to just an A min7 and and F major? Your answer regarding the order of the major and the minors makes perfect sense to me. The mystery is now why you the flat 5 and the dominate 7.
Balance is very important to good golf swing

Balance is the key to a good golf swing and to be able to hold your followthrough for a few seconds after the ball golf clubs for sale
is gone is, we're told, is a tell-tale sign of whether the ball has been struck well or indifferently.Everyone has their own Taylormade Burner 2.0 irons idiosyncrasies as we saw off the first tee in the Golfmagic Open yesterday at Worksop Golf Club and some proved the exception to the rule Taylormade R11 driverwith good shots from unlikely positions and poor shots from high, classic finishes.

When I paid a visit to trick shot artist David Edwards recently he showed me how correct balance enabled him to playing Taylormade R11 ironsa shot while standing on one leg, even with the ball perched on one of his trick show high tees.Next time you're playing from an awkward lie - with one foot in an one foot out of a a bunker Titleist 910 D3 Driver perhaps - remember that balance is key through the shot and remaining relaxed.Try to retain your balance with a slow tempo throughout. Relax and retain the feeling of being able to turn the shoulders whichever foot you're standing on.
Quote by nonjonron
Thanks Zanon. That was exactly what I was looking for. Question regarding your use of the A min 7 flat 5 and the F Dominate 7. Why did you choose those chords as opposed to just an A min7 and and F major? Your answer regarding the order of the major and the minors makes perfect sense to me. The mystery is now why you the flat 5 and the dominate 7.

Well, minor7b5 is also known as the half diminished 7th. It is the diminished triad with a minor 7th. If you didn't include the 7th, your standard diminished chord would be there. The Dominant 7th is a Major chord on the fifth degree of the major scale, but with a minor 7th. If you play the dominant V chord, it will resolve very well to the tonic, I or i
Schecter C-1 Classic in Seethru blue <333
Schecter Damien FR
Roland AC-60 acoustic amp
Boss GE-7 EQ
Line6 Ubermetal Distortion
Sigma Dx Acoustic