Page 1 of 9
I would like to stir up some healthy debate here...

Why ignore Ron Paul?

to start, democrats:
- He has stood against the Iraq war from the beginning, further stating that he would look to remove our troops from all over the world.
-Has been a huge opponent of the PATRIOT ACT and all other oppressive legislation.
-Opposed to the War on Drugs
-Repeatedly calls for the closing of Guantanamo, strongly opposing torture.
-strongly against all corporate welfare
-opposed to NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND
-strongly against signing statements
-not George bush?
-most consistent voting record in congress to prove all of this

This is just a start...

Economically, read "The Revolution", do some research... this man is a genius

Why is this so scary?

He is not bat shit crazy religiously fueled right wing nut like the rest of the field.

I think that it's just people rediscovering our American roots in liberty and personal freedoms... Individuality... What's wrong with the excitement surrounding a candidate that represents these dying principals? It's hard not to be cynical towards politics in general, but there is absolutely no reason, judging by Paul's congressional history and voting record, to suggest that he would stray from these principles. Wake up and give a shit?

** I would like to add that I am not one of the Ron Paul fanatics that goes spamming boards with Ron Paul shit, I am just frustrated that this candidate is often misrepresented and ignored by the media (deeming him an "unelectable kook" ect), I personally think his message is pretty simple (and any radical change he has/does support, I completely agree with in principle), Though he runs under the Republican ticket, his philosophy ignores parties and speaks to us all. I am just suggesting, if you really give a shit, that you do some research and know your candidates. I found the "Obama love" far more alarming, because it wasn't rooted in philosophy.

Again, let me stir up some healthy debate. Why or why not seriously consider Ron Paul? Lets stray from completely broad statements, or regurgitate the "well hes just nuts" bullshit. If you really think so, then why? If you support him, why?
________________________________________________________________________________________

watch this, very interesting/funny [www.mediaite.com]

Jon Stewart Scolds Media For Ignoring Rep. Ron Paul: ‘I Mean, F*ck That Guy, Right?’

On Sunday morning, Jon Stewart woke up to a cornucopia of material to write into Monday’s program: Tim Pawlenty’s sad campaign goodbye, Rep. Michele Bachmann’s straw poll victory, Rick Perry’s vasectomy entry into the race. He somehow covered all his bases and then some tonight: finding plenty of time for the one thing the media didn’t cover: the fact that Rep. Ron Paul has emerged as a top-tier candidate in 2012.

Beginning with the news that Pawlenty exited the race, he attempted to keep awake but, of course, failed. “Here’s the problem with that guy in Iowa: any time he’s around, you can’t work any farm machinery.” He also had some problems understanding that Texas governor Perry, “the Josh Brolin character from W,” was “a real guy,” though he had a pretty convoluted explanation for why he wasn’t “George Bush on steroids” involving horse semen and solar flares.

Stewart then turned to the Sunday morning talk show talking points, and found that, universally, Bachmann, Romney, and Perry were considered the “top tier.” “You’re not forgetting anyone?” Stewart asked, referring to Rep. Paul, who had come in second. Rep. Paul managed to be ignored over Rick Santorum– “he lost to the guy who lost so bad he dropped out of the race”– and Jon Huntsman, who got 69 votes. “If all of Jon Huntsman’s supporters met at the Ames, Iowa Quiznos, the fire marshal would say, ‘yeah, that’s fine, here are some more seats.’” Stewart found it bewildering that Rep. Paul had become “the 13th floor of a hotel,” culminating with a clip of a CNN anchor requesting a reporter leave out the Ron Paul reporting if they found any juicy Sarah Palin stuff– saying, in Stewart’s words, “I mean, f*ck that guy, right?”
Last edited by ledzeppelin37 at Aug 16, 2011,
inb4911thruthers

big fan of the man but...

you never see him and ross perot in the same place...
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
first they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then you win - gandhi

im right with you bro. ron pual is the best politician this age has seen and if he wins i will be one happy mofo.
Last edited by googleisevil at Aug 16, 2011,
Because flat tax, market deregulation, and he's nuts.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by ledzeppelin37
IHe is not bat shit crazy religiously fueled right wing nut like the rest of the field.
http://i.imgur.com/wcSxA.jpg

http://www.freethoughtpedia.com/wiki/Ron_Paul
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Last edited by FrenchyFungus at Aug 16, 2011,
To be honest, I think he's the best candidate at the moment. I know I don't get a choice really, but you guys best vote for either him, or re-elect Obama.
He is a religious nutjob, he's just replaced Jesus with the market.

Although I agree it's BS that the mainstream media pay him no attention, just as they've payed Nader no attention when he runs. Libertarians, Green Party members, Nader, they should all make common cause to break the 2 party system.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Last edited by ErikLensherr at Aug 16, 2011,
Quote by FrenchyFungus

He has/will never back any oppressive legislation, especially any that favors any specific religion... look at his congressional/voting record

In principle he is just echoing first amendment rights, freedom of religion or freedom FROM religion, do not aid in distorted that message.

let me give you some FULL quotes:

1913 wasn't a very good year. 1913 gave us the income tax, the 16th amendment and the IRS.
Ron Paul

A system of capitalism presumes sound money, not fiat money manipulated by a central bank. Capitalism cherishes voluntary contracts and interest rates that are determined by savings, not credit creation by a central bank.
Ron Paul

All initiation of force is a violation of someone else's rights, whether initiated by an individual or the state, for the benefit of an individual or group of individuals, even if it's supposed to be for the benefit of another individual or group of individuals.
Ron Paul

Another term for preventive war is aggressive war - starting wars because someday somebody might do something to us. That is not part of the American tradition.
Ron Paul

As recent as the year 2000 we won elections by saying we shouldn't be the policemen of the world, and that we should be nation building. And its time we got those values back into this country.
Ron Paul

Back a hundred years ago, especially around Woodrow Wilson, what happened in this country is we took freedom and we chopped it into pieces.
Ron Paul

Believe me, the next step is a currency crisis because there will be a rejection of the dollar, the rejection of the dollar is a big, big event, and then your personal liberties are going to be severely threatened.
Ron Paul

Capitalism should not be condemned, since we haven't had capitalism.
Ron Paul

Cliches about supporting the troops are designed to distract from failed policies, policies promoted by powerful special interests that benefit from war, anything to steer the discussion away from the real reasons the war in Iraq will not end anytime soon.
Ron Paul

Deficits mean future tax increases, pure and simple. Deficit spending should be viewed as a tax on future generations, and politicians who create deficits should be exposed as tax hikers.
Ron Paul

Everyone assumes America must play the leading role in crafting some settlement or compromise between the Israelis and the Palestinians. But Jefferson, Madison, and Washington explicitly warned against involving ourselves in foreign conflicts.
Ron Paul

Have you noticed the debt is exploding? And it's not all because of Medicare.
Ron Paul

Having federal officials, whether judges, bureaucrats, or congressmen, impose a new definition of marriage on the people is an act of social engineering profoundly hostile to liberty.
Ron Paul

How did we win the election in the year 2000? We talked about a humble foreign policy: No nation-building; don't police the world. That's conservative, it's Republican, it's pro-American - it follows the founding fathers. And, besides, it follows the Constitution.
Ron Paul

I am absolutely opposed to a national ID card. This is a total contradiction of what a free society is all about. The purpose of government is to protect the secrecy and the privacy of all individuals, not the secrecy of government. We don't need a national ID card.
Ron Paul

I am just absolutely convinced that the best formula for giving us peace and preserving the American way of life is freedom, limited government, and minding our own business overseas.
Ron Paul

I have never met anyone who did not support our troops. Sometimes, however, we hear accusations that someone or some group does not support the men and women serving in our Armed Forces. But this is pure demagoguery, and it is intellectually dishonest.
Ron Paul

I will always vote what I have promised, and always vote the Constitution, as well as I will not vote for one single penny that isn't paid for, because debt is the monster, debt is what's going to eat us up and that is why our economy is on the brink.
Ron Paul

If you like small government you need to work hard at having a strong national defense that is not so militant. Personal liberty is the purpose of government, to protect liberty - not to run your personal life, not to run the economy, and not to pretend that we can tell the world how they ought to live.
Ron Paul

In time it will become clear to everyone that support for the policies of pre-emptive war and interventionist nation-building will have much greater significance than the removal of Saddam Hussein itself.
Ron Paul

Just think of what Woodrow Wilson stood for: he stood for world government. He wanted an early United Nations, League of Nations. But it was the conservatives, Republicans, that stood up against him.
Ron Paul

Justifying conscription to promote the cause of liberty is one of the most bizarre notions ever conceived by man! Forced servitude, with the risk of death and serious injury as a price to live free, makes no sense.
Ron Paul

Legitimate use of violence can only be that which is required in self-defense.
Ron Paul

Of course I've already taken a very modest position on the monetary system, I do take the position that we should just end the Fed.
Ron Paul

Our country's founders cherished liberty, not democracy.
Ron Paul

Prices are going up. Unemployment is continue to go up. And we have not had the necessary correction for the financial bubble created by our Federal Reserve system.
Ron Paul

Setting a good example is a far better way to spread ideals than through force of arms.
Ron Paul

The moral and constitutional obligations of our representatives in Washington are to protect our liberty, not coddle the world, precipitating no-win wars, while bringing bankruptcy and economic turmoil to our people.
Ron Paul

The most important element of a free society, where individual rights are held in the highest esteem, is the rejection of the initiation of violence.
Ron Paul

The obligations of our representatives in Washington are to protect our liberty, not coddle the world, precipitating no-win wars, while bringing bankruptcy and economic turmoil to our people.
Ron Paul

There is nothing wrong with describing Conservatism as protecting the Constitution, protecting all things that limit government. Government is the enemy of liberty. Government should be very restrained.
Ron Paul

There is only one kind of freedom and that's individual liberty. Our lives come from our creator and our liberty comes from our creator. It has nothing to do with government granting it.
Ron Paul

There's nothing wrong with being a Conservative and coming up with a Conservative believe in foreign policy where we have a strong national defense and we don't go to war so carelessly.
Ron Paul

Throughout the 20th century, the Republican Party benefited from a non-interventionist foreign policy. Think of how Eisenhower came in to stop the Korean War. Think of how Nixon was elected to stop the mess in Vietnam.
Ron Paul

To me, to be a conservative means to conserve the good parts of America and to conserve our Constitution.
Ron Paul

War is never economically beneficial except for those in position to profit from war expenditures.
Ron Paul

What is not conservative about saying, 'Don't go to war unless we go to war properly with a full declaration of war and no other way?'
Ron Paul

When one gets in bed with government, one must expect the diseases it spreads.
Ron Paul

When the federal government spends more each year than it collects in tax revenues, it has three choices: It can raise taxes, print money, or borrow money. While these actions may benefit politicians, all three options are bad for average Americans.
Ron Paul

You don't have freedom because you are a hyphenated American; you have freedom because you are an individual, and that should be protected.
Ron Paul

You wanna get rid of drug crime in this country? Fine, let's just get rid of all the drug laws.
Ron Paul
there has probably not been a candidate as noble since jfk.

so he basically has no chance.

i hope i'm wrong.
Quote by gregs1020
there has probably not been a candidate as noble since jfk.

so he basically has no chance.

i hope i'm wrong.

JFK who started Vietnam.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by ErikLensherr
He is a religious nutjob, he's just replaced Jesus with the market.

Its claims like these that have absolutely NO substance..... educate yourself, just don't regurgitate something that you heard in passing. In other words, don't be a ****ing ignorant moron.
Quote by ledzeppelin37
Its claims like these that have absolutely NO substance..... educate yourself, just don't regurgitate something that you heard in passing. In other words, don't be a ****ing ignorant moron.

lol u mad
Quote by jakesmellspoo
There's no way in hell he begins removing troops from anywhere except Iraq really, and lets face it: that war was concluding before Obama took office. It's just vey time consuming to properly pull out of another country safely.
But no candidate is REALLY for pulling out troops in any kind of hurry. Just look at Obama, turned out to be BIG on increasing our presence in OEF. We're gonna be there another 10 years no matter who the Pres is.
He denies evolution and thinks the world is only a few thousand years old. That's enough for me to dismiss his intellectual credibility.

Edit: Christ dude, you don't do much to dissuade the idea that Ron Paul fans are more annoying than a blister on your anus.
Check out my band Disturbed
Last edited by StewieSwan at Aug 16, 2011,
I disagree almost entirely with Ron Paul's economic philosophy, although I do like his liberal approach to social issues.
However, even Ron Paul's brand of blind adherence to market principles in sustained opposition to quite obvious aspects of market inefficiencies, is better than the current corporatist clientalism that runs almost all US politics today.
Unfortunately Ron Paul doesn't have the ability to prevent this. This is why, ultimately, he is being ignored. He is not (enough of a) corporatist shill, and thus he will not gain coverage from a corporate run media when other more corporatist candidates remain viable. I fail to see why this is surprising in any way whatsoever, annoying as it may be.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Last edited by Ur all $h1t at Aug 16, 2011,
Quote by StewieSwan
He denies evolution and thinks the world is only a few thousand years old. That's enough for me to dismiss his intellectual credibility.

Edit: Christ dude, you don't do much to dissuade the idea that Ron Paul fans are more annoying than a blister on your anus.

On 5/4/07, Ron Shank wrote:

Dear Ron Paul team:

Does Ron Paul believe in evolution? I didn’t see his hand raised in the debate when asked “who does not believe in evolution.”

Thanks for your quick reply.

Thank you,

Ron Shank

They quickly replied.

——– Original Message ——–
Subject: Re: Didn’t see his hand
Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 16:15:06 -0400
To: Ron Shank

Ron,

Ron Paul did not raise his hand during that question, it was Tancredo, Huckabee & Brownback who raised their hands. Dr. Paul is physician and believes in evolution.
Quote by ErikLensherr
JFK who started Vietnam.

communism, yea it's a shame that didn't catch on.

instead we got SS amps, how good things could have been.
Quote by ledzeppelin37
On 5/4/07, Ron Shank wrote:

Dear Ron Paul team:

Does Ron Paul believe in evolution? I didn’t see his hand raised in the debate when asked “who does not believe in evolution.”

Thanks for your quick reply.

Thank you,

Ron Shank

They quickly replied.

——– Original Message ——–
Subject: Re: Didn’t see his hand
Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 16:15:06 -0400
To: Ron Shank

Ron,

Ron Paul did not raise his hand during that question, it was Tancredo, Huckabee & Brownback who raised their hands. Dr. Paul is physician and believes in evolution.

"I think there's a theory...the theory of evolution, and I don't accept it, you know, as a theory."

-Ron Paul

And then there's this gem:

“I am strongly pro-life. I think one of the most disastrous rulings of this century was Roe versus Wade. I do believe in the slippery slope theory. I believe that if people are careless and casual about life at the beginning of life, we will be careless and casual about life at the end. Abortion leads to euthanasia. I believe that.”
-Ron Paul
Based on his voting record, he seems to be against virtually all scientific research funding...

....I don't like him

edit: ^ Also that. Anyone who says that I refuse to see as an intelligent person.
In terms of foreign policy issues he is pretty great, but his economic policies are straight out of the ultra-conservative John Birch Society and I can't support that by any stretch of the imagination. I feel like he would make a great Secretary of State, but as a President? No thanks.
I haven't payed attention to him since seeing him completely own the '08 presidential debates on television, and actually considered registering to vote for him since it was the first year I would be eligible.

Then the guy who's argument for not wanting to trade with arabs was "dey only know burkas and killing lol" wins the nomination. That's when I decided fuck that shit and realized these reptilian fags are running everything. On a serious note though, fuck Sarah Palin, Rat Romney Weasly, that Huckabee flamer, and everybody else.
Last edited by Fat Lard at Aug 16, 2011,
Quote by StewieSwan
"I think there's a theory...the theory of evolution, and I don't accept it, you know, as a theory."

-Ron Paul

“I am strongly pro-life. I think one of the most disastrous rulings of this century was Roe versus Wade. I do believe in the slippery slope theory. I believe that if people are careless and casual about life at the beginning of life, we will be careless and casual about life at the end. Abortion leads to euthanasia. I believe that.”
-Ron Paul

"With regard to evolution, I mean… I just don’t spend a whole lot of time on this, especially in politics. “Do you believe in evolution or don’t you believe in evolution? Yes or no? And then we’ll decide whether you should be President or not.”

You know it is a theory, nobody has concrete proof of any of this. But quite frankly I think it’s sort of irrelevant, that because we don’t know the exact details and we don’t have geologic support for evolutionary forms, it is a theory, even though it’s a pretty logical theory. But my concept of understanding of a creator is not related one bit to whether or not I or anybody has to believe in evolution or not believe in evolution.

The idea that if you don’t [?] believe in evolution means that you don’t believe in a creator is total nonsense. So I think this once again is overly played and we spend too much time on it. And besides, if you’re in politics it shouldn’t be a bother. This is something maybe not dealing with science as much with your own spiritual life, your personal beliefs. The important thing is that you have a political system where you can debate this and make a decision and government rule shouldn’t be based on this. If you have governments basing their rules on this, then it becomes very important. But in a libertarian society these beliefs aren’t nearly as critical.

When you have government schools it becomes important. “Are you fair in teaching that the earth could have been created by a creator or it came out of a pop, out of nowhere?” In a personal world, we don’t have government dictating and ruling all these things; it’s not very important. So the problem is the political environment that makes these issues so important in deciding what one believes in."

as far as abortion, personal interests/belief does not interfere with constitutional authority.

Paul calls himself "strongly pro-life" and "an unshakable foe of abortion."However, he believes regulation of medical decisions about maternal or fetal health is "best handled at the state level."He believes that, for the most part, states should retain jurisdiction, in accordance with the U.S. Constitution.
Quote by StewieSwan

-Ron Paul

-Ron Paul

Gravity is only a theory
I don't care about politics really, but then again I'm from Canada, he sounds cool on the war, and his views on the drug laws and whatnot. But these other things, the evolution thing. I just dismiss him now.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Quote by ledzeppelin37
"With regard to evolution, I mean… I just don’t spend a whole lot of time on this, especially in politics. “Do you believe in evolution or don’t you believe in evolution? Yes or no? And then we’ll decide whether you should be President or not.”

You know it is a theory, nobody has concrete proof of any of this. But quite frankly I think it’s sort of irrelevant, that because we don’t know the exact details and we don’t have geologic support for evolutionary forms, it is a theory, even though it’s a pretty logical theory. But my concept of understanding of a creator is not related one bit to whether or not I or anybody has to believe in evolution or not believe in evolution.

Yes we do have concrete evidence of it, but ok. Theory doesn't mean guess, it means an explanation backed by significant evidence. It's "just a theory" in the same sense that gravity is "just a theory." Learn what the word means, please.
Quote by gregs1020
communism, yea it's a shame that didn't catch on.

instead we got SS amps, how good things could have been.

"We don't have a prayer of staying in Vietnam. Those people hate us. They are going to throw our asses out of there at any point. But I can't give up that territory to the Communists and get the American people to re-elect me."
-JFK, 1963, quoted in President Kennedy: Profile in Power by Richard Reeves

Yes, how noble he was.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
Quote by ledzeppelin37

The idea that if you don’t [?] believe in evolution means that you don’t believe in a creator is total nonsense. So I think this once again is overly played and we spend too much time on it. And besides, if you’re in politics it shouldn’t be a bother. This is something maybe not dealing with science as much with your own spiritual life, your personal beliefs. The important thing is that you have a political system where you can debate this and make a decision and government rule shouldn’t be based on this. If you have governments basing their rules on this, then it becomes very important. But in a libertarian society these beliefs aren’t nearly as critical.

When you have government schools it becomes important. “Are you fair in teaching that the earth could have been created by a creator or it came out of a pop, out of nowhere?” In a personal world, we don’t have government dictating and ruling all these things; it’s not very important. So the problem is the political environment that makes these issues so important in deciding what one believes in."

as far as abortion, personal interests/belief does not interfere with constitutional authority.

Paul calls himself "strongly pro-life" and "an unshakable foe of abortion."However, he believes regulation of medical decisions about maternal or fetal health is "best handled at the state level."He believes that, for the most part, states should retain jurisdiction, in accordance with the U.S. Constitution.

tl;dr for the evolution part. He can justify his ignorance however he wants to, but it's still ignorance.

As for the abortion part, it's a human rights issue. Leaving it to the states is merely turning a blind eye. It's no better than saying "Well shit, if states want to be racist and segregate their schools, then they should be allowed to."
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I disagree almost entirely with Ron Paul's economic philosophy, although I do like his liberal approach to social issues. .

This.

I do think he is a genuine guy who really wants the best for America, not just X party or Y company.
The lake was silent for some time. Finally it said:
"I weep for Narcissus, but I never noticed that Narcissus was beautiful. I weep because, each time he knelt beside my banks, I could see, in the depths of his eyes, my own beauty reflected."
Quote by ledzeppelin37

this is enough for me to write you off as one of those Ron Paul fanatics that goes spamming boards with Ron Paul shit.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by ErikLensherr
"We don't have a prayer of staying in Vietnam. Those people hate us. They are going to throw our asses out of there at any point. But I can't give up that territory to the Communists and get the American people to re-elect me."
-JFK, 1963, quoted in President Kennedy: Profile in Power by Richard Reeves

Yes, how noble he was.

following the wishes of the american people?

sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut and let people to suspect you for a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt.

i'd say following the wants of those who elected you aside your personal beliefs is by definition, noble.
Quote by StewieSwan
tl;dr for the evolution part. He can justify his ignorance however he wants to, but it's still ignorance.

As for the abortion part, it's a human rights issue. Leaving it to the states is merely turning a blind eye. It's no better than saying "Well shit, if states want to be racist and segregate their schools, then they should be allowed to."

Uhhh no, its simply upholding and recognizing 10th Amendment rights.
Quote by ledzeppelin37

Yes it is. That's part of the very reason why we have a federal government, you dimwit. The states must be kept in-check.
Quote by ledzeppelin37

The 10th amendment isn't "States can do as they please." It's "We (federal gov't) haven't made a decision on it, so you deal with it." At least in this case it is.