I noticed I don't strictly stick to alternating my two fingers (I guess you could kind of call it economy plucking?). I show a simple example in the tabs below (M is middle finger, I is index). Since I pluck "through" the string to the lower string for muting purposes, I tend to just use the finger I just used if I'm playing a lower string. Is this a good idea or should I work on strictly alternating fingers?

Thanks!

What I do:
G|-------------------------
D|-------------------------
A|-5-7---------5-7---------
E|-----0-0-0-0-----0-0-0-0-
---M I I M I M I M M I M I

Strictly alternating fingers:
G|-------------------------
D|-------------------------
A|-5-7---------5-7---------
E|-----0-0-0-0-----0-0-0-0-
---M I M I M I M I M I M I
I tend to hit however I have to. Nothing wrong with what you're doing. Just stick to whatever's more comfortable.
CAPITALISM
Quote by diofan88
Naked with a bowl of cereal with headphones.
I'd go with the non-alternating pattern. Makes more sense playing things that way. Of course some songs exist where alternate plucking is necessary to play the song, but not everything is black and white this or that one or the other kind of stuff.
ESP/LTD F-50
1989 Kramer Showster
Rogue RADH Acoustic
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Washburn XB-100 4 string
Peavey Millenium AC BXP
Fender Rumble 150
Crate BV60H Head
Crate BV412 Cab
Vox AD15VT
either sounds good, the first is easier. unless you have something you're trying to achieve with subtle finger differences, go with the first.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Nothing wrong with raking.

exactly, i can alternate easily, but i have troubles raking.
Quote by thunderbritches
I would still call him a regular musician...just a very irregular person lol

Warwick Pro Series Corvette
Hartke HA 3500
Genz Benz LS410
Yeah, I use 3 fingers for just about everything. Since it's an odd amount of fingers, I almost never keep the ring, middle, index pattern going. As long as it sounds good and feels comfortable, it'll be fine.