hi,

ive been playing in E flat instead of standard and was wondering do all the notes change, for example if a play the G power chord on the 3rd fret in standard will this change 2 G# in e flat tuning, so instead of the G power chord been in the key of G it will be in the key of G#, if you understand what i mean
Quote by metal head 1
hi,

ive been playing in E flat instead of standard and was wondering do all the notes change, for example if a play the G power chord on the 3rd fret in standard will this change 2 G# in e flat tuning, so instead of the G power chord been in the key of G it will be in the key of G#, if you understand what i mean

The notes change: you're not magically sounding lower without playing lower notes. However, it would F# on the 3rd fret.
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.
Quote by soviet_ska
The notes change: you're not magically sounding lower without playing lower notes. However, it would F# on the 3rd fret.

so if i used the 3rd fret as the key in E flat would i use the F# penatonic scale
If you meant b (flat) instead of # (sharp) then you're right.
G# in E flat would be 5th fret. (or the A string)
This formula might help:

number of fret on standard guitar
= number of fret on YOUR guitar - steps of downtuning

Example:

4 = 5 - 1
---> So playing the 5th fret on YOUR E-string would be like playing the 4th fret on a standard guitar (G# or Ab)
Quote by metal head 1
hi,

Yes all the notes change and standard tuned notes are now a half step higher.

Best,

Sean
Quote by metal head 1
so i do i change the scale then, as the notes will be in diffrent key

The shape of the scale is the same, since each string is tuned down the same amount.
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.
Quote by metal head 1
so i do i change the scale then, as the notes will be in diffrent key

Depends on the context. Most of the time you'd be playing with other instruments that are tuned down as well. In this case it's easiest to think of those chords based on what they would be in standard tuning. When communicating in some cases you may need to specify that they are flat. For instance if you play with a keyboardist and your tuned flat, you would have them play everything flat (or tune down 1/2 step). Or maybe you would have to play everything a 1/2 step up to match (ofcourse just playing in standard would be a better option here)

Personally I recommend playing in standard as the default tuning, and then just retune when specifically required for a song. Makes things alot easier.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Aug 16, 2011,