I'm looking for some advice on becoming a better guitar player and musician.

I've almost always played rhythm guitar, but I'd like to improve in my lead playing so I could potentially become the lead guitar player in a band some day, play and write solos and riffs on my own.
I also play bass, but not as long as I've played guitar. I find that playing stuff I hear in my head are easier on bass, but I'd like to be able to do the same thing on the guitar.

I want to become better at improvising, so I could maybe just sit and jam on my own instead of playing riffs from other songs and such when I do play.
I also want to be better at transcribing what I hear in my head and apply it to the guitar.

I started to play in 2009, and my main influences on my guitar playing are James Hetfield, Dave Mustaine, Adrian Smith and Tony Iommi.

TL;DR: I want to become a better guitar player, bass player and musician.
Quote by Kill A Kitten
You know that old saying: "Men who play bass in the band have the largest genitalia." Well, it's the same for women.
Learn new techniques to be able to play songs. Learn theory. Use theory to analyse songs.

Also, don't post multiples of the same thread.
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Quote by pigeonmafia
Also, don't post multiples of the same thread.

I wasn't really sure where to put it, so I decided to do it this way.
Quote by Kill A Kitten
You know that old saying: "Men who play bass in the band have the largest genitalia." Well, it's the same for women.
Hey Low,

I don't know what your options on the table are, but we teach these very skill sets online through our Guitar Academy. It's not free however. If you'd like to know more, then shoot me a message and I'll be happy to get a catalog out to you.

If you cannot afford/do not want to pay to learn. Justin Guitar offers free lessons for all of those kinds of things, and you might find benefit from his free video lessons.

Anyways, that and any number of Mike Dodge's lessons might be the ticket if you are going the self taught route.

If I can help, though, please let me know - we have a 100% success rate.

Best,

Sean

Quote by Low Man's Lyric
I'm looking for some advice on becoming a better guitar player and musician.

I've almost always played rhythm guitar, but I'd like to improve in my lead playing so I could potentially become the lead guitar player in a band some day, play and write solos and riffs on my own.
I also play bass, but not as long as I've played guitar. I find that playing stuff I hear in my head are easier on bass, but I'd like to be able to do the same thing on the guitar.

I want to become better at improvising, so I could maybe just sit and jam on my own instead of playing riffs from other songs and such when I do play.
I also want to be better at transcribing what I hear in my head and apply it to the guitar.

I started to play in 2009, and my main influences on my guitar playing are James Hetfield, Dave Mustaine, Adrian Smith and Tony Iommi.

TL;DR: I want to become a better guitar player, bass player and musician.
I teach as well and also have a %100 success rate. Feel free to shoot me a PM.

But seriously...

TS if you want to get better, play alot and enjoy it. Taking lessons would definitely be helpful (and I do teach online actually so if you were interested you could PM me).
Im sure there is a music store near you with good teachers as well.

Bottom line.... play alot + time.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Aug 16, 2011,
I would get the following two books:

1) Ear Training, by Keith Wyatt et al
2) Guitar Soloing, by Gilbert and Marlis.

Start there.