Page 1 of 2
That's not a metaphor.

So alright, I got another bonsai a few days ago. I'm thinking about pruning it or readjusting the branches (done with steel wires around the branches) into some special way. I have no experience with either so results may vary. Give me style tips and I'll consider your wacky antics. This is what it looks like:

Second bonsai which also needs some love:

████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Shouldn't you be biking through Europe right now.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Kensai has a bonsai

you just can't make this stuff up

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Make them mate with each other.

EDIT: Whoa... I just realised you could actually cut off part of one tree and stick it on the other! You should totally do that!
Shouldn't you be posting a larger version of your avatar right now?
"Social correctness has traditionally had nothing whatever to do with reason, logic, or physics. In fact, in England it is generally considered socially incorrect to know stuff or think about things."
-Douglas Adams
That first one is out of control, man. You should trim off maybe 40-50% of the small branches and leaves.

Oh and you shouldn't have gotten the lame ones. It's all about conifers.
Check out my band Disturbed
For the first one, prune around the longer offshoots. Have a central leafy center with the longer ones coming out.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
You would
The lake was silent for some time. Finally it said:
"I weep for Narcissus, but I never noticed that Narcissus was beautiful. I weep because, each time he knelt beside my banks, I could see, in the depths of his eyes, my own beauty reflected."
It's really simple to be fair, just cut the unaesthetic leaves off. Karate kid 1 taught me how to bonsai =]
Check out my Tumblr
Quote by Victory2134
The world seemed like a better place when I didn't know what racism, genocide, and the internet was.
Quote by genghisgandhi
Is the first picture what it looks like or is it the actual tree?

It's the small one.
Quote by ErikLensherr
Shouldn't you be biking through Europe right now.

No, I nearly broke my wrists in an accident. Maybe in a few weeks!
Quote by CoreysMonster
Make them mate with each other.

EDIT: Whoa... I just realised you could actually cut off part of one tree and stick it on the other! You should totally do that!

That's crazy. Crazy enough to work...

Quote by StewieSwan
That first one is out of control, man. You should trim off maybe 40-50% of the small branches and leaves.

Oh and you shouldn't have gotten the lame ones. It's all about conifers.

This one is a lot cheaper, and I think of it as a practise bonsai. I'm not going to spend tons on money on something that I have no relevant experience of! It'll just die on me.

Quote by BladeSlinger
For the first one, prune around the longer offshoots. Have a central leafy center with the longer ones coming out.

Central leafy center? Like a ball or something?
Quote by MakinLattes
How old are they? You might want to start with clearing the trunks of small stems and leaves.

No idea how old, sorry. Just some generic "bonsai" bought at a floral place.
Quote by captaincrunk
+1

You look like you got cacti.

YOU look like you got cacti
This sounds like it could be a bit difficult (I have no idea how you would do it), but you should go for the ishitzuki style.

That means you'll need a cool looking rock to go with it as well.
Last edited by Jon777 at Aug 16, 2011,
Quote by Jon777
This sounds like it could be a bit difficult (I have no idea how you would do it), but you should go for the ishitzuki style.

*bonsai*

That means you'll need a cool looking rock to go with it as well.

The leaves are way too big on his.

You'll want to start on a leaf reduction process next spring and remove all of the leaves to encourage growth of smaller leaves (and continue to do year after year), unless you like the shrub look.
Last edited by MakinLattes at Aug 16, 2011,
Quote by Kensai

Central leafy center? Like a ball or something?

Like the Flying Spaghetti Monster. The center being the body, and the offshoots being the noodley appendages.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by G.Krizzel
Make it look like this...!

This.

Hell attach part of another bonsai on it and make it look like a bonsai with a huge leafy penis.
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra
They let black people on Fox now?

They also let white people into the KFC and the NBA now.
Quote by Kensai
I'm not going to spend tons on money on something that I have no relevant experience of! It'll just die on me.

Sort of like children?
Check out my band Disturbed
I like the bonsai-on-rock thing but it's looking pretty difficult

Quote by BladeSlinger
Like the Flying Spaghetti Monster. The center being the body, and the offshoots being the noodley appendages.

I really don't like the idea of my household plants having religious messages.

I like the informal style bonsai, but it might be difficult to present in it's shape:

Quote by StewieSwan
Sort of like children?

I wish.
Kensai, use a proper pruning instrument and use wires to shape the tree to your desired liking. If you want it to grow in a certain way, cut the edges of the branches where there appears to be a split - this will encourage the branches to split into two different stems - kinda hard to explain but I'll upload you a few pictures from my personal collection of Bonsais. I collect bonsais as well - I have well over 10. You might have seen them already actually - I think I posed them here before.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Quote by Xiaoxi
Kensai has a bonsai

you just can't make this stuff up

My first thought
I'm too impatient to have a Bansai tree, by the end of the first hour it'd be an inch tall and my room would be a mess.
"Social correctness has traditionally had nothing whatever to do with reason, logic, or physics. In fact, in England it is generally considered socially incorrect to know stuff or think about things."
-Douglas Adams
Quote by Harmonius
Kensai, use a proper pruning instrument and use wires to shape the tree to your desired liking. If you want it to grow in a certain way, cut the edges of the branches where there appears to be a split - this will encourage the branches to split into two different stems - kinda hard to explain but I'll upload you a few pictures from my personal collection of Bonsais. I collect bonsais as well - I have well over 10. You might have seen them already actually - I think I posed them here before.

Please do show some pics! And yeah I'll start gently tomorrow. I'll try getting some wiring as well so I can re-route.

Quote by Prototype4342
I'm too impatient to have a Bansai tree, by the end of the first hour it'd be an inch tall and my room would be a mess.

A part of that would make a great out-of-context sig.
Quote by G.Krizzel
Put a bonsai on your bonsai and make it look like the small one is cracking out of the big one's body like an alien maggot coming out of a rotting carrion.

Yo dawg...
How much are bonsai?
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Quote by fearofthemark
How much are bonsai?

Very varying, mine are the store-bought kind and the little one went for £10 (IKEA!) and the big one £30 (some local plant place). If you're thinking of buying, try the cheaper ones to get the hang of it. I don't think they come with a warranty even if they are expensive.

Oddly enough I could trade the venus fly trap plant I bought for store credit... lol wut?
Quote by Avedas

What the...

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Kensai
Very varying, mine are the store-bought kind and the little one went for £10 (IKEA!) and the big one £30 (some local plant place). If you're thinking of buying, try the cheaper ones to get the hang of it. I don't think they come with a warranty even if they are expensive.

Oddly enough I could trade the venus fly trap plant I bought for store credit... lol wut?

ಠ_ಠ

My Bonsais are pretty large - over £100 that I importanted from Hong Kong (illegally puting taking the roots only and disguising it in a box as "artificial plants")
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Quote by Kensai

IKEA rocks. That carpet with the roads and buildings on it made my childhood. I think I might get one. It'll be a good addition to my dorm room.

For ideas, look at the artist Shen Shaomin. He uses the shaping tools as a piece of artwork in themselves, making it look like the bonsai is in some torture contraption.

http://www.freynorris.com/artwork.php?id=2173

Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

You can't play a game of Mafia but you have time for this?

I am ashamed.
Quote by Athabasca
My ex did the same. Cheated on me and then acted like I'd given her sister a facial. Women are retarded.
Quote by Harmonius
My Bonsais are pretty large - over £100 that I importanted from Hong Kong (illegally puting taking the roots only and disguising it in a box as "artificial plants")

Whoah! Now you just have to show pics

IKEA rocks. That carpet with the roads and buildings on it made my childhood. I think I might get one. It'll be a good addition to my dorm room.

For ideas, look at the artist Shen Shaomin. He uses the shaping tools as a piece of artwork in themselves, making it look like the bonsai is in some torture contraption.

http://www.freynorris.com/artwork.php?id=2173

IMG]http://www.freynorris.com/img/Shen-Shaomin_BonsaiNo.41_lg.JPG
Really nice bonsais there, he must've put quite some work into it.
Quote by Snowman388
You can't play a game of Mafia but you have time for this?

I am ashamed.

The trees don't accuse of me being scum because I've been inactive for a few hours
Page 1 of 2