Alright, first of, a question that is probably as old as hell, but I wanna ask it anyway:
Is it okay to start bass with a 5-string?
Also, what would be a good model to start with? Already have an amp and my budget's around 200-300 euros? (I mostly listen to Heavy/Thrash/Death Metal)
Now that that's out of the way, is there a big enough difference between bass and guitar pedals that one cant be used for the other? For example, if I had a Dinlop Crybaby Wah for my guitar, would it function just as well with my bass, or will it just sound like crap?
In respect to the first point- start with what you want. Some people may cite cost of strings, exprnse, width neck, string spacing... but they are all really moot points. Cost of strings isn't much more, and sizes vary- I've played fivers with thinner necks and close string spacing and vice versa. And while books will often only 'teach' 4 string theory, that fifth string is actually a bonus, as it forces you to apply your knowledge.
Quote by jurnag12
Alright, first of, a question that is probably as old as hell, but I wanna ask it anyway:
Is it okay to start bass with a 5-string?

Of course it is! It's pretty much based on personal preference. Go test out a 4-string, 5-string, and 6-string and see what your most comfortable with.

Quote by jurnag12
Also, what would be a good model to start with? Already have an amp and my budget's around 200-300 euros? (I mostly listen to Heavy/Thrash/Death Metal)

For a 4-string (even though you requested for a 5), I'd recommend a Squier Vintage Modified Precision Bass.
For a 5-string, I would go for this http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Millennium-BXP-5-String-Bass-Guitar-Quilt-Top-104145156-i1146911.gc
Bass gear:
-Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass
-Fender Rumble 15 Amp

Guitar Gear:
-Agile AL-2000
-Boss Tu-3 Tuner -> Joyo Vintage Overdrive -> Joyo Vintage Ultimate Overdrive -> Ernie Ball MVP -> TC Nova Repeater
The Yamaha BB Series 5-string basses are good ones to start with and to stick with. Ibanez makes a number of 5-string basses in your price range, too.

What brands of basses are available in your area?

Your guitar wah pedal should work fine with bass. I've got a Dunlop bass wah and it works fine with guitar, so the reverse is probably true.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley