After some considerable thought, thinking about setting myself a strict budget this academic year coming. I have two real aims. The first is to pay off my debt by December/January. The second is to possibly continue with this budgeting to raise myself a considerable sum of money for the 2012 summer.

Next summer I should hopefully be graduating, and then hoping for the best for my post-graduate education. If this ideally works out, I could be in possession of £1000-1500 to spend on the summer as I please. This will be the last ridiculously long summer I will ever have whilst in education, and I could try to make it absolutely incredible.

I need brilliant ideas. I'm thinking that, instead of spending all of that money on one thing, could spend it on multiple different things. Music festivals come to mind, but conferences and travel also come to mind. Looking for inspiration.

Anyone got brilliant summer tales or ideas?

EDIT: Oh yeah, my location is England.
Last edited by Craigo at Aug 16, 2011,
burn all the money on your balls.

spend the rest of the summer wishing you didn't burn all the money on your balls.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Get a few of your closest friends, take a 3 month trip through Europe. Make sure to visit the Sziget festival in Hungary.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

there is some new government thing to wipe of debts if you are in employment. well it is here in scotland anyway. check it out.
Travelling I guess is the obvious choice.

Personally I'd go to a car auction, by the most ridiculous car I could and go on a tour of Europes best circuits.

Don't let your boat be empty, don't be a sunken dream
Don't let the boat regret thee, for what you could have seen

Quote by fearofthemark
Get a few of your closest friends, take a 3 month trip through Europe. Make sure to visit the Sziget festival in Hungary.

Sounds good, although I'd go for 3 weeks or a month. Keep some space for other stuff and other friends.

A few not-particularly-brilliant ideas:

-Throw a couple of BBQs (everybody loves food)
-Buy a small boat (if you live anywhere near a lake)
-Take scuba lessons
With £1500 you are limiting yourself to a maximum of maybe 4 weeks abroad? And you aren't going to have the best summer ever if you aren't going to leave the country. Save up more!
Quote by NuggetSaurus
With £1500 you are limiting yourself to a maximum of maybe 4 weeks abroad? And you aren't going to have the best summer ever if you aren't going to leave the country. Save up more!

I will most likely be leaving the country, but I don't want to do a trip around the entire continent or something. I'd like to go to at least one British music festival too.
What's your plan for after the summer? If it's just to work again, I think you should save up and start your holidays a month or so later. I'm going travelling myself around May next year for only 2 months but I predict it'll set me back £4k. If you're sort of thinking 2 weeks abroad, 2 weeks chill with friends, 1 week festival etc then that is gonna be a pretty good summer, but not epic.
well my summer was really awesome, in part due to the people i was with, and in part due to the stuff i did. i went to two large music festivals featuring a lot of my favorite bands, and i went camping/backpacking a lot with friends.
Looks like someone woke up on the wrong side of the cake this morning!

yeah, that's an inside joke. i made it different colors and sizes to be obnoxious...