Just for the record for parallel speakers it's... 1/(1/R1 + 1/R2 + ... 1/Rn)

For your case R = 1/(1/16 + 1/4)
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
FYI - that is not recommended usually.
+1 The 16 ohm speaker will only get 1/4 the power.
There was some other reason too. Heads don't like it. I think I've read that from both Jim Marshall and Scott Splawn but I could be thinking of something else

v....Good point. The individual cabs can often be re-wired to make things 'happier'
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Aug 16, 2011,
Rewire the 4ohm cab. if it's say, a 2x12 with 8ohm speakers, they are wired in parallel to get 4ohms. Rewire them in series and you now have a 16 ohm cab. Just a thought.

How many, and what ohm are the speakers?
one cab is a 4x12 with 16 ohm speakers wired in series parallel and the other is a 2x12 with 8 ohm speakers wired in parallel

also my head is solid state. ive heard it can handle down to two ohms, but also heard only down to 4. its the silver face concert lead from 1972

EDIT: the 4x12 is a shitty ampeg slm series with shitty speakers, but the 2x12 is a semi-homebuilt (was a 2x15 car stereo box) with 200 watt peavey pa speakers in it.
Last edited by SGRocker400 at Aug 16, 2011,
Quote by SGRocker400
one cab is a 4x12 with 16 ohm speakers wired in series parallel and the other is a 2x12 with 8 ohm speakers wired in parallel

also my head is solid state. ive heard it can handle down to two ohms, but also heard only down to 4. its the silver face concert lead from 1972

EDIT: the 4x12 is a shitty ampeg slm series with shitty speakers, but the 2x12 is a semi-homebuilt (was a 2x15 car stereo box) with 200 watt peavey pa speakers in it.

I would just rewire the 2X12 to series, making it 16 ohms. Then you would have 2 cabs @ 16ohms. Set your amp for 8ohms. No need to worry about IF your amp can do it. It's too easy to do it right and not risk messing up your amp.
Edit: ^ DMI beat me to it

Yep. Perfectly safe.

so like DMI was saying - rewire the 212 cab with Series wiring and boom....16 ohm cab.

then you can run both cabs into your amp with a load of 8 ohms total

Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Aug 16, 2011,
Quote by SGRocker400
im confident my amp can do it, its built like a tank. might just stick with a single cab for now tho. just wanted to do it for shits and giggles really. thanks guys!

your amp will handle it fine but the current from your amp will take the path of least resistance which means most of the power will be going to the 4 ohm cab. You won't be hearing much from the second cab.