Hey all, Just wondering what are some cheapish, $600 max, guitar amps that would be good for jazz and funk. Ive looked at both the tiny terror combo and the fender frontman 212r. Both of which seem versitile for my budget, but im relatively new to the guitar world, so any help is welcomed.

Cheers
well the frontmans kinda gay, the TT isnt much of a jazz amp.

Roland JC 120? or jc50/jc70
Peavey Stereo/Classic Chorus
Peavey Classic 30
Yamaha G50
New or used?

The Tiny Terror is a very dirty amp. It might be hard to pull cleans out of it, particularly at higher volumes, but it's also pretty dark and warm.

You could check out the Fender Blues Junior, Bugera V55, Peavey Classic 30, or perhaps a used Vox AC15.

If solid state is your thing, you might pull a used Roland Jazz Chorus on that budget, or you could get a ZT Lunchbox, which is 300 watts and like 10 pounds or less than that.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Fender Bassman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Roland Jazz Chorus w/ tubescreamer in front.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
what kind of jazz?
for more traditional stuff, polytones, acoustic images and jazz choruses are pretty standard, as are high wattage fenders. for more modern stuff, a vox AC15 or 30 could also work. really any amp with a good sound and a good deal of headroom works--in your budget a blues junior would probably work well.
all the best.
(insert self-aggrandizing quote here)
Last edited by tehREALcaptain at Aug 16, 2011,
The TT is going to lack headroom at high volumes but it can do a convincing jazz tone when set right. I vote higher wattage Fender as mentioned above but seems a lot of people end up with the roland.
Quote by Justice4AllOne
fretz is absolutely right.
Roland JC120/60

Or buy an Acoustic amp like the Roland AC series, I love the cleans from mine.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
thanks guys. im looking at getting maybe a Vox AC15C1 now. because jazz is my number one target, but i still want some grit in there, and in australia any jazz chrous breaks the bank by almost a grand, so no luck there. Ive heard some good stuff about the blues junior, but its lack of reverb and a headphone output annoys me
Quote by DaftHuman
thanks guys. im looking at getting maybe a Vox AC15C1 now. because jazz is my number one target, but i still want some grit in there, and in australia any jazz chrous breaks the bank by almost a grand, so no luck there. Ive heard some good stuff about the blues junior, but its lack of reverb and a headphone output annoys me

The blues junior has reverb and the ac15c1 doesn't have a headphone jack. It could be a problem if you are requiring a headphone jack as most of the suggested tube amps (if not all of them) won't have a headphone jack. They all will sound really good though...
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
hows the vox ac15vr or the ac30vr? what are some common factors i can look for in an amp.
Keep your eye on this one if you are in Melbourne. It's in Dame Edna's home suburb.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Roland-Jazz-Chorus-JC-55-/280724058023?pt=AU_Amplifiers&hash=item415c752fa7
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification