I searched and found nothing. I'm trying to get into Thelonious Monk because my dad has 5 or 6 CDs of his and I've been exploring jazz recently. However, I'm not being grabbed by his songs. I've just started listening to jazz, so maybe I'm just too green to pick up the specifics, but it all sounds like one long Dorian jam to me.

I really like Kind of Blue, but it took me several listens. I've immediately like some Herbie Hancock (cantaloupe island, watermelon man, chameleon)

Can anyone offer advice? Thanks.

Oh and if you want, after you've answered, feel free to hijack this into a general Monk thread.
Get the Thelonius Monk album "Monk"

also, my personal favorite jazz album is "Coltrane's Sound", check it out

check out Stan Getz, Cannonball Adderly, Joe Pass, Kenny Burrell, Bill Evans, just some suggestions
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
Last edited by Swannie at Aug 16, 2011,
My favorite Monk album is "Brilliant Corners". And just look at a video of him playing live. It's something everyone should see.
Monk's stuff is more obscure than say Charlie Parker's music, if you don't like jazz in the first place you probably won't like Monk's music or at least find it hard to get into.
just gettin into jazz ... and you start with monk and listen to kind of blue - miles, coltrane, evans..(listen to his piano work on blue in green)..well you started at the top...jazz does take time to injest..its if very complex music...take your time...

check out stanley clark (bassist) live larry carlton does some amazing guitar work and they do some of the tunes on kind of blue...so you can hear another interpertation of the tunes..more blues etc..

some monk blues standards
straight, no chaser
blue monk

play well

wolf
Last edited by wolflen at Aug 17, 2011,
Thanks guys you've been very helpful and I'm starting to get into him more. By the way I certainly like jazz, I'm just new. And I found some Charlie Parker in my dads collection, and I may buy myself some jazz soon too.
I've always found Monk most enjoyable when you get a chance to watch him play.. His style of soloing is incredibly unorthodox and his foot tapping is hilarious! During other people's solos he was known to occasionally just get up and starts spinning..

Here's one of his classics, "Blue Monk": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmhP1RgbrrY

The sax player is fantastic, but if nothing else make sure you watch his solo starting at 3:10.
Monk probably isn't the most accessible starting point for getting into jazz, but if one developes an ear for jazz ahead of time he won't sound so weird anymore. For my own part, I'm drawn to him precisely because of the "quirkyness" of his sense of melody and rythm.

I'm a bit lost as to how the OP can say that Monk's music sounds like a long Dorian jam. A lot of the tunes involve quite a bit of harmonic movement, sometimes in rather unexpected ways.

On the mellower side of things (one might find this tube a bit more accesible than some of his others): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmwjpHJHolM
After listening more, I'm starting to love monk. The point of the dorian jam comment was that I am not used to jazz and can't hear the intricacies, not that I thought it actually was a long dorian jam.
Duke Ellington and John Coltrane - In a Sentimental Mood

If that doesn't get you into jazz, nothing will.