hello everybody. i have a squier that im looking to transform almost completely into a fender. iv changed the pickups already. and mine is an affinity series so i already have an alder body. i kinda like the thinner neck of the squier, thats just my personal feel. but as far as changing the bridge and tuning pegs which about the only thing left, what else can i do. And does changing the bridge and tuning pegs actually make as much of a difference as some people claim they do. A little insight from some expierecnced guitarists would be appreciated.
The bridge and tuners are fine on the Affinity's. I would get a larger block for the bridge though, the ones in the Affinity's are quiet thin.
Quote by vanhalenfan33
does that affect the tone of the guitar at all?

A bigger block will probably give you better sustain and a thicker tone overall.

Also, upgrading the tunes would be the best thing you could do. Get some nice Schaller locking tuners.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Last edited by stonyman65 at Aug 16, 2011,
I've got an Affinity that I'm putting used American Standard pickups into. I accidentally got solder down into the the pickup switch housing and I'm waiting for the mailman to bring me a new one..

I highly recommend swapping out the electronics though. My Affinity came with 500K pots that made the pickups sound harsher in the high end. Swapping them out for full-size 250K pots will tame them a bit and make it sound more like a Strat. I'm not sure if full size will fit in the Affinity routing, but I think they should. Affinity bodies are a 1/4" thinner than a Strat so you have to watch the height on the electronic stuff.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Does the squier stay in tune?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
cool man, im just finishing an affinity tele, modelled after the black and gold fender teles except with area t pickups instead of microphonic shit boxes. post some pics for us when its done
PRS CE22
PRS SE Santana
Fender Spalted Maple Tele
Squier Affinity Tele w.mods
Mesa Boogie Mark IV Combo + 212 Recto Cab
Homemade Ash Bass
BBE Two Timer
DUNLOP Wah
BOSS GE-7
KORG Pitchblack
MXR Dyna Comp

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
well iv been looking into all these suggestions and thanks. they all seem to do good things and nothing is really all that expensive like i though it would be. now when i change the switch and pots, etc. should i get genuine fender parts or should i look aftermarket stuff?
^^^to continue on that iv found that fender genuine parts sell this upgrade kit which has a new jack, 5 way switch, poly film capicator, and 3 split shaft CTS pots. its all genuine kit that fender sells. let me know what you think about this
My Affinity Strat would not fit a standard 5way switch, nor would it fit a full sizes pot for the mid pickup.

I would just keep the 5way blade switch that the Squier uses, and if you want to go to 250K pots (which I recommend) I would just use 250k's at the Volume and Neck Tone, and then have the guitar only wired for 2 pots. Just leave the 500k pot in there unwired to keep that 3 knob strat look, that is what I did, as I did not want a empty hole in the pickguard.

I would only replace the tuners if it doesn't stay in tune, my strat is an 02 and the tuners have yet to give me problems.
ok i mean i dont really use the middle pickup all that much anyways. i use the bridge all the time unless i need a good clean tone then i switch up to the neck. the middle is kinda just there for looks as you said. and i understand that pots will improve the sound because your obviously changing from 500k to 250k but i dont understand how the 5way switch will change tone
You don't need a new jack or switch unless the ones you have are crackly or intermittent. A new tone cap is good but not a poly one, get an orange drop or vitamin T if you're upgrading. New pots are a good idea, but there's no point in paying for the Fender ones, just get some CTS or Alphas from somewhere that doesn't mark them up so much.

Moving the middle pickup tone control to the bridge is common, you may want to do that if you don't use the middle pickup.
Quote by vanhalenfan33
ok i mean i dont really use the middle pickup all that much anyways. i use the bridge all the time unless i need a good clean tone then i switch up to the neck. the middle is kinda just there for looks as you said. and i understand that pots will improve the sound because your obviously changing from 500k to 250k but i dont understand how the 5way switch will change tone

Yeah, there is no point to upgrading the switch, unless for some reason it is bad, which those switches are pretty well made.

Yeah, I would go to 250k, and rather than just moving the bridge pickup to the other tone control, you would wire all pickups to 1 Master Volume and 1 Master Tone, so all pickups use the same 2 pots.

Same goes for the jack, if it gives you problems, then replace it. The one on my Squier didn't fit very tightly on my DiMarzio cable, and it would go intermitent when I would move certain directions.