So my strap button is loose. I tighten it, within minutes its loose, like fall out of the guitar loose almost. what can i do??? add a thicker or longer screw??
You can take out the strap button then shove a toothpick or two in the hole, then screw the strap button back in with the tooth picks in there, then break off the tooth picks. but it probably isn't the most reliable may. If you don't plan on changing your strap buttons you can just use carpenters glue to glue it back in.
Quote by sashki
Fill the hole with toothpicks or match sticks and a drop of wood glue. That'll give the screw something to hold onto.

That is a good quick fix, but if you really want to fix it, you can drill the hole out a bit and hammer in a dowel with some wood glue on it and then screw in the strap button. It won't be pretty, but it won't come out anytime soon.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
The toothpick method will work as a semi-permanent fix, but you have to do it the correct way.

This is quite a common problem, so dont worry.

I usually take 2 or 3 toothpicks and stick them in the hole. Make sure its kind of a tight fit. You don't want to force them in or anything, but you want them to be snug. It will be 2 or 3.

Then, take a marker and mark those tooth picks exactly where they start to come out of the hole.

Remove the toothpicks, then cut them where you've marked. After cutting them, dip them in some wood glue and stick them back into the hole. You should wait overnight to let the glue dry, and in the morning your screw should fit snugly.

Remember this only a semi-permanent fix, which means it'll probably last a couple months.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
Quote by Vypor
The toothpick method will work as a semi-permanent fix, but you have to do it the correct way.

This is quite a common problem, so dont worry.

I usually take 2 or 3 toothpicks and stick them in the hole. Make sure its kind of a tight fit. You don't want to force them in or anything, but you want them to be snug. It will be 2 or 3.

Then, take a marker and mark those tooth picks exactly where they start to come out of the hole.

Remove the toothpicks, then cut them where you've marked. After cutting them, dip them in some wood glue and stick them back into the hole. You should wait overnight to let the glue dry, and in the morning your screw should fit snugly.

Remember this only a semi-permanent fix, which means it'll probably last a couple months.

if done correctly can last years.

adding wood and glue and screwing into it is all a tech will do.

the only other thing you can do is tap in a dowel and redrill for a new hole.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011