So I recently came across Charvel guitars for the fist time, and after checking out there website they seem too good to be true. They have top hardware (OFR's, Grover tuners), great pickups (DiMarzio's) and they come with hard cases, and all reviews I've seen so far speak very highly of them.

But, this is what spooked me, they seem dirt cheap for the specs they have. I can pick up a a top Charvel for a little over £700, which seems to good to be true.

So, is there a catch?
The more recent ones are made in Japan and I believe they have a different Floyd. The older USA-made pro-mods had an OFR, though, and you can probably find a used one of those for around the same price if that's important to you.

I don't think there's a catch. I've only heard good things about them.
No, there's no catch. Charvels are fine guitars. They don't offer a lot of models or options. They are just very well-made guitars. Some people bemoan the lack of a tone knob, but if you want one, you could have a good technician install one for you.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
They are an absolute steal, a music shop near me is selling them for about £500 brand new for a so cal and £600 for a wildcard
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
the MIJ charvels are some of the best guitars out there at the moment. Such awesome value for money.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
there isn't really a catch if wood type doesn't mean much to you.
if you look around on guitarcenter you can find guitars with similar specs for around the same price. for example this guitar.:http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-SG-Prophecy-Custom-EX-Electric-Guitar-with-EMG-81-85-Pickups-104611165-i1386472.gc
it has Grover tuner
EMG pick ups
mahogany
etc...
its not that uncommon to find guitars with these kinds of spec for around these prices or cheaper.
NEW SIGNATURE!
Yeah but a MIJ Charvel SoCal is going to shit all over the prophecy to be honest.

They are seriously good value guitars and the fact they use the proper branded hardware and such fantastic craftsmanship make them even better.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by aeromakesmusic
there isn't really a catch if wood type doesn't mean much to you.
if you look around on guitarcenter you can find guitars with similar specs for around the same price. for example this guitar.:http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-SG-Prophecy-Custom-EX-Electric-Guitar-with-EMG-81-85-Pickups-104611165-i1386472.gc
it has Grover tuner
EMG pick ups
mahogany
etc...
its not that uncommon to find guitars with these kinds of spec for around these prices or cheaper.

While I like the SG Prophecy series, they aren't in the same league as the Charvels. The workmanship, fit and finish of the Charvels is head and shoulders above the instruments made by Epiphone.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
they are great value, but very specific for what they can play (or should be used for). we got quite a few ones in at the shop.

i don't like a lot of the charvel fretboards though.
Thanks for the replies guys

It seems that you rate Charvels then, and they do look like great guitars. If I ever see one in my local music shop I will have to try it out.
Quote by Tom 1.0
Yeah but a MIJ Charvel SoCal is going to shit all over the prophecy to be honest.

They are seriously good value guitars and the fact they use the proper branded hardware and such fantastic craftsmanship make them even better.

Word, Love my prophecy LP.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
I love my Epiphone too

the Prophecys are very tasty, but they are a completely different guitar to the charvels, if they prophs were MIJ it would be a very close run thing.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb