Poll Options
View poll results: War in Afghanistan?
Maintain military presence
28 31%
Withdraw our troops
63 69%
Voters: 91.
Page 1 of 3
Hey pit, I have to right ( Edit: lol I typed right instead of write, maybe cause I was thinking about what would be the "right" thing to do? Brains are weird)a research paper about the war in Afghanistan by tomorrow and thought it would be a cool idea to use YOU to decide what stance I should take.

It's either:

Maintain a military presence there.

-or-

Get our troops out immediately.

Whatever is winning the poll by 7:30 (1 hour) is what I will write about. Or maybe if a post was convincing enough I'll base my essay off it. Or something. I'll also post the essay when I'm done.

(I thought I was 100% against it, but after reading The Kite Runner I'm not so sure )
Last edited by Weaponized at Aug 16, 2011,
*sigh*

Your two options are terribly myopic and ill-informed.
My God, it's full of stars!
Do what they're doing now. Keep training afghan soldiers and police while slowly reducing the military presence there.
Option 3: Invade Iran
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Maintain presence until the Afghan government gets its shit together, but reduce numbers.
Quote by uk.mace
This man is smart.

Quote by guitar-guy69
you spelt colors wrong

Tweet me bro.
You should write about both sides and then whatever side you lean towards can be your conclusion.
I'mCool

Quote by StewieSwan
Don't you have some tourists to beat up?

Quote by Zoot Allures
Nah he's too busy feeling like a big man hitting women he knows to 'put them in their place'.
Quote by Eric_Fail
You should write about both sides and then whatever side you lean towards can be your conclusion.

This is a 600 word paper. Nope.

(Inb4 learn to write, I do 600 words in my sleep, college will rape you, blahblahblah)
Quote by blankoff
Maintain presence until the Afghan government gets its shit together, but reduce numbers.

So, occupation until 2030, then.
Quote by Weaponized
This is a 600 word paper. Nope.

(Inb4 learn to write, I do 600 words in my sleep, college will rape you, blahblahblah)

So wait, are you not going to do that because 600 is a lot? Because I think writing about both sides would double the length to an extent.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Your post was the only bright spot in this disgusting piece of thread.

Quote by lexanirider78
You have balls. I like balls....(awkward silence)

Quote by SeveralSpecies
I waited for the rape.

...but the rape never came
Quote by ryan_nadon
So wait, are you not going to do that because 600 is a lot? Because I think writing about both sides would double the length to an extent.

600x2=1200? Is this the message of this post?

Also, it's one or the other. If I wrote 2 papers it would amount to dick.
I support using as much force as necessary to spread our superior Western ideology and culture.

Down with jihad!
An immediate withdraw would throw a lot of what we've done so far out the window. Seems like a waste.

What we need to to is spend less money killing people, and more helping them rebuild and get an education. One of the biggest reasons that extremism continues to exist is because most people in the poor areas don't have the education to know that what they're being told by the extremists is a lie.
I don't know too much about current events, but what I do know is, we've been there for more than 10 years, Sun Tzu says no country benefits from prolonged war, and there have been a lot of civilian casualties, but if we leave now, everything falls apart and then there would be no point in us going there in the first place. I guess I'll jump on the bandwagon and say pull out slowly and help build up as we leave.
Quote by blankoff

There will never be a long term central government in Afghanistan.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Quote by Gabrhil
I don't know too much about current events, but what I do know is, we've been there for more than 10 years, Sun Tzu says no country benefits from prolonged war, and there have been a lot of civilian casualties, but if we leave now, everything falls apart and then there would be no point in us going there in the first place. I guess I'll jump on the bandwagon and say pull out slowly and help build up as we leave.

Not much left to fall apart.
Quote by dann_blood
There will never be a long term central government in Afghanistan.

Your crystal ball, I want it
We should bring democracy to every country in the middle east. America **** yeah!
Quote by metaldud536
We need to stop supporting our troops. Let's fix our own problems here at home.

lol @ the contradiction
Quote by 23dannybhoy23
Not much left to fall apart.

Ya, just the structures that keep the Taliban, Al Qaeda and the general population seperate. Hah, who would want that though?
Quote by Vornik
Quote by Dreadnought
Your crystal ball, I want it

Never has been a long-term central government, the governments have always had their power concentrated in the capital with political power diffused across the different provinces and geographic regions. That magnitude of cultural shift needed to change that hasn't happened and more than likely won't in our lifetimes.
Quote by Vornik
Quote by metaldud536
This. We need to stop supporting our troops. Let's fix our own problems here at home.

Well, support the troops, but how about supporting them in our own country?
Quote by dann_blood
Ya, just the structures that keep the Taliban, Al Qaeda and the general population seperate. Hah, who would want that though?

Yeah, we need those structures gone so the Taliban can stop being a small, isolated radicalist group with little to no public support. Maybe with all those firm structures out of the way, the Taliban can properly team up with Al Qaeda and become a very large fighting force capable of seriously threatening the governments of both Afghanistan and Pakistan.

Wait a minute...
Quote by metaldud536
What be it

"The troops" are your citizens. Failing to "support them" is failing to support a very large amount of citizens and is very dictatorial, not in line with this "fix stuff at home" mentality that you have.

I think you mean something different when you say "don't support the troops." I think what you really mean is "don't support Congress sending troops out and declaring war in questionable conflicts."
Quote by Dreadnought
"The troops" are your citizens. Failing to "support them" is failing to support a very large amount of citizens and is very dictatorial, not in line with this "fix stuff at home" mentality that you have.

I think you mean something different when you say "don't support the troops." I think what you really mean is "don't support Congress sending troops out and declaring war in questionable conflicts."

Well if they sign up for it and get shipped out, you can't completely blame it on Congress.
Quote by 23dannybhoy23
Yeah, we need those structures gone so the Taliban can stop being a small, isolated radicalist group with little to no public support. Maybe with all those firm structures out of the way, the Taliban can properly team up with Al Qaeda and become a very large fighting force capable of seriously threatening the governments of both Afghanistan and Pakistan.

Wait a minute...

Of course, the last decade, and particularly the last 2-3 years of intense military action against those groups, has yielded no results, and they're totally not severely weakened at all, and they're totally not cut off from recruiting from most of the general population and inspiring more guerilla war, and they're totally still able to wreak widespread havoc and terror in the domestic population, and Afghanistan is still totally a safe haven for terrorist activity, and the Afghan police and army being trained to deal with this same stuff has no effect at all.

Yes, that's right, your completely uninformed, one dimensional analysis of what's happening on the ground in Afghanistan, and the goals and prospects of the conflict, is so totally accurate in every way.

Oh, wait a minute!
Quote by Vornik
Quote by metaldud536
Well if they sign up for it and get shipped out, you can't completely blame it on Congress.

*sigh*

Thank God you aren't an elected leader, not that you'd be too much worse. You can not/should not selectively choose which of your citizens to support, and which you will not. To do so is the hallmark of a shitty, backwards, ancient government. Instead you must correctly manage legislate and play the politik in order to smartly and as non-violently as possible handle international politics and, ergo, protect your own citizens, their families, their rights, their well-being, etc.
Quote by dann_blood
Of course, the last decade, and particularly the last 2-3 years of intense military action against those groups, has yielded no results

False. A fact that springs to mind is the effective annihilation of an entire insurgent network that was in charge of and active in a large majority of the Eastern lands.

But I'm cool because I'm privy to such knowledge
Quote by Dreadnought
False. A fact that springs to mind is the effective annihilation of an entire insurgent network that was in charge of and active in a large majority of the Eastern lands.

But I'm cool because I'm privy to such knowledge

I was being sarcastic
Quote by Vornik
Quote by Weaponized
600x2=1200? Is this the message of this post?

Also, it's one or the other. If I wrote 2 papers it would amount to dick.

WAT.

He isn't saying to write two papers. He's saying write one paper detailing both pros and cons of both options (and possibly others if you need to) That will give you twice the content to write on, thereby making it easier to get to 600+ words.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness
Ah. Well, now it's out there for everybody to know lol.

You're welcome, stupids of the Pit.
Quote by CodeMonk
The US needs to stop being the world's police force.

"With great power comes great responsibility."
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
Quote by dann_blood
Of course, the last decade, and particularly the last 2-3 years of intense military action against those groups, has yielded no results, and they're totally not severely weakened at all, and they're totally not cut off from recruiting from most of the general population and inspiring more guerilla war, and they're totally still able to wreak widespread havoc and terror in the domestic population, and Afghanistan is still totally a safe haven for terrorist activity, and the Afghan police and army being trained to deal with this same stuff has no effect at all.

See, thing is, I never said any of that.

Quote by dann_blood
Yes, that's right, your completely uninformed, one dimensional analysis of what's happening on the ground in Afghanistan, and the goals and prospects of the conflict, is so totally accurate in every way.

Oh, wait a minute!

Soooo.... the Taliban and Al Qaeda aren't a large fighting force capable of threatening established order in Afghanistan and Pakistan? Oh, lovely, job done, troops home and all that.
Page 1 of 3