Well im finishing up my bubinga neck, and ive google searched a bit and found very few, and no definitively answered discussions on this.
I know some people leave it raw, but im not sure i like that idea. my hands sweat quite a bit, and i just dont think it would go well. i have some tung oil but i know nothing about that.
also someone in one discussion said not to use tru oil because it may never fully cure or something. dk if the same applies for tung oil.
edit - another place says dont use anything, just use sweat
i would have though sweat on raw would just make spots and stuff

i like the raw feel, so hopefully something can seal it but still feel raw-ish?
thanks in advance!
Last edited by xadioriderx at Aug 17, 2011,
Quote by xadioriderx
Well im finishing up my bubinga neck, and ive google searched a bit and found very few, and no definitively answered discussions on this.
I know some people leave it raw, but im not sure i like that idea. my hands sweat quite a bit, and i just dont think it would go well. i have some tung oil but i know nothing about that.
also someone in one discussion said not to use tru oil because it may never fully cure or something. dk if the same applies for tung oil.
edit - another place says dont use anything, just use sweat
i would have though sweat on raw would just make spots and stuff

i like the raw feel, so hopefully something can seal it but still feel raw-ish?
thanks in advance!

Both Tung Oil and Tru-Oil are good to use.

Give the neck a couple of coats and let it dry for 24 hours - I use Tru-Oil for bodies and necks, it can be recoated after 2-3 hours. Tung Oil, I think, needs 24 hours between coats. Lightly rub down with steel wool between coats.
Quote by xadioriderx
great thank you! im gonna try some on a scrap tomorrow and see how it comes out, so ill know when im ready to do the actual neck.
thanks!

No problem. Good luck with it
I seriously love tru-oil, great stuff, and gives a slightly harder wearing finish than most oils. Super easy to apply, and I've never had any problems with the way it dries

Chur
Do you have any scrap pieces of bubinga left over? You might make two short "faux necks" with some bubinga scrap to which you apply different oils to see which one you like more.

Personally, I use Danish oil and sand in between coats (the grain stands up a little after the first coats). It leaves a smooth, natural neck that will still be protected from your body oils/sweat. Although, I have heard great things about Tru-Oil too, a lot of guys are able to make a really smooth, silky neck with that stuff.
all i have are a few 1x4 pieces. so i can make a tiny little neck out of one
since i already have tung oil, i will try just that, and if im okay with the results i will go ahead and use it. im running short on money so i dont really want to buy anything if i dont have to.
if the tung oil doesnt look or feel right then ill go ahead and get something else to try though.
thanks for the help guys!