I've recently been working on speed on the guitar and I think my right hand has 'hit a wall' in terms of speed (alternate picking).
It'll reach 130-140bpm but it will just not go any faster at all.
I use elbow movement to pick fast which I've heard from many places it takes longer to build?

What are good exercises to increase picking hand speed?
Short answer is stop using your elbow - use your wrist.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Short answer is stop using your elbow - use your wrist.
...BUT without losing sight of what your left hand's doing (which doesn't mean you shouldn't concentrate on your picking hand by the way)

While you're working on your right hand technique, keep fretting notes and all, because figuring out the right picking technique won't help you play any faster if your brain hasn't learned how to sync that movement up with your left hand. Or in other words: you'll be able to tremolo pick much faster, but you'll be missing tons of notes while at this speed...

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Wrist movement is much slower for me /:

Of course, I've been focusing on right/left hand coordination. That's about as fast as I can tremolo pick though >__<

It holds me back a bit.
Wrist movement is only slower for you because you haven't practised with it enough.

Using the elbow to pick fast is bad for you , plain and simple. I know exactly what you're doing to "play fast", you're tensing your arm and almost vibrating it to get your fast picking motion and that's going to knacker your arm in the long term.

Stop using your elbow, learn to use your wrist and focus on improving your control and accuracy.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Wrist movement is only slower for you because you haven't practised with it enough.

Using the elbow to pick fast is bad for you , plain and simple. I know exactly what you're doing to "play fast", you're tensing your arm and almost vibrating it to get your fast picking motion and that's going to knacker your arm in the long term.

Stop using your elbow, learn to use your wrist and focus on improving your control and accuracy.

This.

It sounds like you are tensing up your arm. Basically, try to flex your arm like you are trying to show off your muscle to someone, then try to keep your arm flexed and do something like write with a pencil. That's a lot of unnecessary muscles you are using right? It should also feel pretty bad. That's most likely what you are doing with your picking.
It's not about which joints you use... it's about which joints you're tensing up. You need to stay aware of your motions as you pick and figure out where the tension is... fingers? wrist? elbow? shoulder? Figure out where the tension is and you will know where you need to focus.

In most cases the tension that you're feeling is the result of a lack of coordination at higher speeds... in other words you're probably trying to pick in two directions at once. You need to finish one stroke before starting the next one, otherwise you will pitting your muscles against each other and you will tense up. To fix this you'll need to back off the speed some (maybe a lot) and just get more comfortable with your motions. Then kick the speed back up and see what happens. You may have to do this over and over again before you solve the problem.

Oh... and all this stuff about "only using your wrist" is, frankly, wrong.
Quote by dvuksanovich
It's not about which joints you use... it's about which joints you're tensing up. You need to stay aware of your motions as you pick and figure out where the tension is... fingers? wrist? elbow? shoulder? Figure out where the tension is and you will know where you need to focus.

In most cases the tension that you're feeling is the result of a lack of coordination at higher speeds... in other words you're probably trying to pick in two directions at once. You need to finish one stroke before starting the next one, otherwise you will pitting your muscles against each other and you will tense up. To fix this you'll need to back off the speed some (maybe a lot) and just get more comfortable with your motions. Then kick the speed back up and see what happens. You may have to do this over and over again before you solve the problem.

Oh... and all this stuff about "only using your wrist" is, frankly, wrong.

Sorry but what?

No. How are you going to go against whats been long established as a good thing? Picking from the elbow always will and always has resulted in ****tons of unnecessary tension all along the arm. There is a reason that "using your only wrist" is something thousands of guitar teachers around the world advocate. Theres a reason its the standard.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance