I’m looking at a new amp. I have the Vox VT20+ in mind. So far I have only read about it, watched you tube demo’s etc, and I like it for a number of reasons. I have a young family and volume is an issue, so the power attenuator is a big pull, and the fact that my style’s are clean to light overdrive, with maybe a bit of 70’s style rock when the mood strikes, certainly nothing heavier than that. I don’t jam or gig.

I’m off this weekend to give one a test drive, but before I do I thought I’d ask one thing that’s bugging me. Because you can’t use the inbuilt compression effect and any of the OD effects together, I would like to ask if anyone has used an external compressor pedal with this amp (or any in the VT+ range) with any success.

It seems that putting an external compressor on a modelling amp would be more likely to work than running an OD pedal into the front-end, and then I can use the OD effect built in to the amp. The compression would just be enough to boost the clean sustain a little rather than anything beyond that.

Googling has shown that a few people plug OD pedals into their modellers with varying degree’s of success, but nothing on putting a compressor in there.

Anyone tried or have any comments on this way of working?
Quote by deano_l
I’m looking at a new amp. I have the Vox VT20+ in mind. So far I have only read about it, watched you tube demo’s etc, and I like it for a number of reasons. I have a young family and volume is an issue, so the power attenuator is a big pull, and the fact that my style’s are clean to light overdrive, with maybe a bit of 70’s style rock when the mood strikes, certainly nothing heavier than that. I don’t jam or gig.

I’m off this weekend to give one a test drive, but before I do I thought I’d ask one thing that’s bugging me. Because you can’t use the inbuilt compression effect and any of the OD effects together, I would like to ask if anyone has used an external compressor pedal with this amp (or any in the VT+ range) with any success.

It seems that putting an external compressor on a modelling amp would be more likely to work than running an OD pedal into the front-end, and then I can use the OD effect built in to the amp. The compression would just be enough to boost the clean sustain a little rather than anything beyond that.

Googling has shown that a few people plug OD pedals into their modellers with varying degree’s of success, but nothing on putting a compressor in there.

Anyone tried or have any comments on this way of working?

I use the VT20+ and run, among other pedals, a Boss compression sustainer into it, and it works great for me. It actually works better than the compressor model built into the amp.
Last edited by matt8819 at Aug 17, 2011,
That's good news. It sounds like a winner for me. As long as it sounds okay and gives me a later clapton, Robert Cray kind of vibe then I'll be happy.