Hey. Today I went to a music store to get my guitar re-stringed, as the pins were messing up. The low e string, he only tied around once, while the others 4-5 times. Why?
as far as I know, it's because of the tension on the neck...the low E string has more tension then high e string and therefore to have the same tension on the whole neck,
high e string needs more wrapping to get the same amount of pressure as the low E string that has with lets say two wraps, and the same goes for other strings...
guy probably didnt even think about it but the low e is pretty thick and putting more wraps around it would probably make it really weird looking as you get a knot of string at the tuning peg
Quote by sstony
Why did you pay someone to change your strings ?

Didnt pay extra
He probably did that as others said because of tension, and it takes less wraps to reach a lower note/tuning(low E takes less wraps than high e)
  • Beer
  • Friends
  • Producing and Recording
  • Sitcoms
  • Eastern Kentucky University
  • Dead Fret

My ambition is handicapped by laziness
Whoa, just stop. So much misinformation here it's terrible. The tension of each string comes from it's gauge and scale length, period. Not from how many wraps are around the tuning post.
A low E string should have 2-3 wraps around the post, as with all the others. Each string should be wound at the post so that it creates a lock that will prevent slippage. That's it folks. Please stop guessing and posting bogus info.
why don't you ask him next time?

Quote by AdamDCMA
Hey. Today I went to a music store to get my guitar re-stringed, as the pins were messing up. The low e string, he only tied around once, while the others 4-5 times. Why?

thank you, LeftyDave. there are some odd speculations in this thread :-/
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!