Hello, I'm looking for advice and suggestions on how to practice the guitar.
I've had my electric guitar for about 3 years playing it on and off. I am lost on how to practice and what to practice and also the correct mindset to get better.

Thanks for anything
Play songs you want to learn. Is there a tab you just can't do but almost? Learn it. Repeat finding songs until you play faster.

Theory is completely different from being able to play fast though. Musictheory.net will help, if you feel like it. If you don't feel like learning theory, wait until you do. if you don't know ANYTHING, you'll defo need some free time to get the basics. Also youtube anything. There's lots of stuff on there.
Play songs you want to learn. Is there a tab you just can't do but almost? Learn it. Repeat finding songs until you play faster.

+1

Once you have the general movements down and have a little more patience I also recommended using some sort of technique book like Speed Mechanics by Troy Stetina if trying to shred is your thing. It took me a while though until I had enough ability to make the exercises interesting and was able to keep myself occupied with it.
Thanks for the advice. I can play some rhythm guitar and pre-solos but I havent gotten the gallop strumming or whatever its called, often in metal songs. I am and have been deeply interested in metal and thrash. Are there any songs to practice in that genre? Also, are there things I need to practice or things I need to know to get better particularly at rhythm guitar?
Quote by dopelope
Look up some Thrash Standards like Master of Puppets or Four Horsemen. Some old Megadeth maybe?

I can play Master of Puppets except the solo. For example how would I get on with learning the solo without the right techniques?