Page 1 of 4
I have a pretty varied taste in music. I try not to restrict myself to any particular genres but at the moment I'm enjoying the tunes of My Bloody Valentine, Yo La Tengo, Guthrie Govan, Wild Beasts and... My Chemical Romance. Hipster credentials ruined?

So, basically my question pertains to the hipster ideals of elitism and the dismissal of anything 'popular'(however you want to categorise it); does 'underground' music really have more artistic merit and is it 'bad' to listen to the more kitch-ish poppy stuff?
Gear:
Ibanez S470DXQM
Laney GH50L - Laney GS212IE
Boss GE7
MXR Wylde OD
Boss DD2
Boss CE20
Walden G570
Subjectivity ftw. Who cares, I don't use my musical tastes as a label or for respect.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Absolutely f*cking not..

Theyì're ideas I hate, all of that crap..
Sure, some unknown bands are good, and some known ones are bad..
But just because it's unknown doesn't f*cking make it just because of that..so what, if that band suddenly becomes famous, what..the sound like, becomes worse or something?

Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise
Because apparently as soon as you start making decent money to earn a living from music you've 'sold out'.
Quote by Sir Daniel
does 'underground' music really have more artistic merit and is it 'bad' to listen to the more kitch-ish poppy stuff?

not necessarily, and if you like it there's nothing wrong with listening to it
cat
I hate elitists.
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
It's good to check out a lot of more underground music because the popular stuff only scratches the surface of music. You're allowing yourself a bigger and fuller fridge to pick your snacks from. That doesn't mean liking the popular stuff is bad. It's just chance.
Last edited by frankv at Aug 17, 2011,
every 'underground' band that has been 'underground' for more than 4 years is and always has been something terrible to listen to. i've not come across one unknown/underground band that i actually like. they usually get big quickly if they're any good.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Quote by laid-to-waste
every 'underground' band that has been 'underground' for more than 4 years is and always has been something terrible to listen to. i've not come across one unknown/underground band that i actually like. they usually get big quickly if they're any good.

KABLAM! He's nailed it.
Quote by frankv
I don't think he did. You don't get popular by just being good. You can be really good, but only serve a niche market. Or lacking the right contacts and living in Belarus keeps you down.

Surely you're not suggesting that Rebecca Black isn't good......
I feel like if many people were exposed to more music, their tastes would change.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Alvarez SLM
Orange Dark Terror
Orange PPC212OB 2x12 cab
Yamaha P-85 Keyboard
You know the answer and you're not going to get any other ones.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Quote by frankv
I don't think he did. You don't get popular by just being good. You can be really good, but only serve a niche market. Or lacking the right contacts and living in Belarus keeps you down.

all the bands i actually enjoy are really big. that's all i'm saying. the most 'underground' band i listen to is periphery, and they're bigger than most metal bands now anyway, because they're good.
Quote by laid-to-waste
all the bands i actually enjoy are really big. that's all i'm saying. the most 'underground' band i listen to is periphery, and they're bigger than most metal bands now anyway, because they're good.

Because if you don't like it, it's no good, right?

Also, I've never heard of Periphery outside of this forum.
You don't need to be listening to underground stuff to be elitist you know.

I'm sure there are loads of pop fans who'd be quick to say that drone (for example) "isn't music".
Quote by frankv
Because if you don't like it, it's no good, right?

Also, I've never heard of Periphery outside of this forum.

yes. i'm saying it in the fashion that implies it's my opinion. i can't be arsed adding in my opinion after i say everything i say.

actually, me neither i just assumed they're big. well, they are.
Quote by whalepudding
You know the answer and you're not going to get any other ones.

There isn't any one answer. Subjectivity is the key and I wondered how other people felt about it.

Also, plenty of amazing musicians never break into the mainstream because of their niche appeal, it's ridiculous to say that only good bands make it.
Gear:
Ibanez S470DXQM
Laney GH50L - Laney GS212IE
Boss GE7
MXR Wylde OD
Boss DD2
Boss CE20
Walden G570
Quote by frankv
^I've heard people say that about classical piano pieces...

Exactly. This idea that underground music is populated with elitists and that elitism only comes from people who like obscure stuff is stupid.
Most hipster elitists usually seem to have nothing going for them. They seem to know as much as every bullcrap acoustic 'guitarist' but claim it's indie so it's 'underground' and 'true to music' because they have no clue what they're talking about. I really don't like MCR, but if you do that's fine. And Periphery is sweeeet.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow
How was Confucius death metal?
You've clearly never read any Confuscius.

As I wait on the edge of the earth,
I can see the walls being torn down again
Only to be rebuilt in another name,
On a different day
You sell out if you start selling ****ING butter. ARGH! I'm mad as hell, and i'm not gonna take it anymore!
What happened to the days of: Guy 1 "Hey I like this band!" Guy 2 "Hey I don't but i don't think any less of you because of it!"
Elitists usually have this idea that the music they listen to, or the music they produce is more technically proficient then what other people like or play.

The idea that you've worked very hard for something, and they basically didn't.

Its rather arrogant to me.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
Quote by laid-to-waste

This is the dumbest thing I've ever read.
I live near Lake Bodom WORSHIP MEEEEEEE

Quote by Sami Philadelph
LOL, for some reason the impression I get from you is like some wacky Frank Zappa of metal pulling pranks at the Grammys and telling crude jokes during interviews.
Quote by henkka_potku

Sounds like we've got ourselves a live one!
Quote by henkka_potku

why?
Quote by laid-to-waste

This just isn't true. I don't know your musical taste, but I can list a few bands in the hardcore/metal/jazz/hard rock genres that you have never heard and aren't big and have been around many years if you'd like.
Quote by henkka_potku

+1

BTBAM anyone? Never heard one of their songs on the radio.
Strength Of The Inferno, Mind Of The Heavens, Speed Of The Tempest, Thus, a miracle was born.
http://www.last.fm/user/RobertELeet
Jackson Warrior
Ibanez Artcore AG85
Squire Affinity J-Bass

VIKINGS

UG Black
I have a very elitist attitude toward music. I just don't see how that should affect whatever you want to listen to. I'm not gonna come knocking your door down and arrest you because you like whatever shit I don't like (everything).

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by BenRaah
You don't need to be listening to underground stuff to be elitist you know.

I'm sure there are loads of pop fans who'd be quick to say that drone (for example) "isn't music".

People always label something "not music" when it's outside their limited understanding of what music "is". It's merely an excuse so they can feel better about their ignorance.

The most rude music elitists I know in person are ones who only like well known bands and refuse to broaden their horizons. They are quick to diss anything outside their comfort zone.

All the "elitist" hipsters I know are glad to share lesser known bands with anybody. When they know of good stuff they share with other people. There's nothing special about finding bands before anybody else in this internet age when all one has to do is google some hipster music blog or forum to get the latest in obscure bands. It's not like in the 90s and before, when you found local-ish bands that were good but unknown outside their local scene until they got signed.
Quote by severed-metal
This just isn't true. I don't know your musical taste, but I can list a few bands in the hardcore/metal/jazz/hard rock genres that you have never heard and aren't big and have been around many years if you'd like.

go. i'm not talking bands that aren't very well known, i'm talking bands like atomkraft.
Quote by Robert E. Leet
+1

BTBAM anyone? Never heard one of their songs on the radio.

really? you think by 'underground' i meant not heard on the radio? i'm talking bands that have been in the business for a while and only have under 4000 views on their most viewed video. and i happen to like btbam.
Last edited by laid-to-waste at Aug 17, 2011,
Quote by laid-to-waste
go. i'm not talking bands that aren't very well known, i'm talking bands like more than life.

Here are a few bands that have an incredibly small fanbase, but incorporate a massive dedication:

Scald - Nightsky
Mystifier - Why Does it Never Rain on The Moon
Unholier - Pandemonium's Throne
Jacula - Intantio

Four bands just to prove my point. If you need more, I'll gladly post them. This isn't a pissing contest, as these are bands for the world to hear.
Quote by severed-metal
Here are a few bands that have an incredibly small fanbase, but incorporate a massive dedication:

Scald - Nightsky
Mystifier - Why Does it Never Rain on The Moon
Unholier - Pandemonium's Throne
Jacula - Intantio

Four bands just to prove my point. If you need more, I'll gladly post them. This isn't a pissing contest, as these are bands for the world to hear.

i know scald, never liked them. i hate prog anyway.

ehh mystifier isn't my type of band, and sorry, just generally sounds terrible.

i hate death metal, so unholier is a straight up no for me. they sound pretty bad anyway. producing is terrible, guitar tone is terrible, vocalist is terrible. sorry, not even finishing that song. all i hear is minor third hammer ons/pull offs anyway.

jacula is boring and repetitive. but then again, i don't like prog.

i see what you mean, though. it's very likely there are bands out there that i will enjoy that are underground. i've just not been interested in any so far, and believe me, i approach them with an open mind.

i'm also only talking about rock/metal bands. i should've been more clear. i've enjoyed 'underground' jazz groups, classical composers and blues bands.
Last edited by laid-to-waste at Aug 17, 2011,
Quote by laid-to-waste

lol...

No.
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Hipsters are usually tits and the whole only listening to "underground" scene is stupid. /Two cents.
To be vulnerable is needed most of all, if you intend to truly fall apart.

Quote by due 07
You have no idea how much I don't want to tell stories about my mother's vaginal slime on the internet.

I make music sometimes.
Quote by laid-to-waste
i see what you mean, though. it's very likely there are bands out there that i will enjoy that are underground. i've just not been interested in any so far, and believe me, i approach them with an open mind.

Hmm, the underground ones are often the most extreme. Bethlehem, Inquisitor, Fleurety, Mortifera, etc. What do you like, would be the better question.
Page 1 of 4