Hi all,I bought a Ibanez RG 170R for a ridiculously low price and now intend to upgrade it.

I've decided I want to put a floyd rose of some sort in it, but I've got no experience with them whatsoever. Can anyone recommend or give me some pointers as to which one to choose?

Thanks in advance.
Watch my covers please!

http://www.youtube.com/user/IcarusLivesss

Gear
Schecter Blackjack ATX C-1 w/Seymour Duncan Blackouts
American Fender Stratocaster
Amps
Carlsbro GLX 150 Amp head/Carlsbro 1x12" Cab
Vox VT50
Sell it. FRes suck. And if you're unlucky, your body isn't routed for a FR meaning you'll have to do that yourself =S
Quote by Anchr
Sell it. FRes suck. And if you're unlucky, your body isn't routed for a FR meaning you'll have to do that yourself =S

Don't listen to this retard.

If you wan't a floyd go for it, if it's not routed, you'll be paying for that as well as the floyd and seeing as you'd want a good floyd you're looking at around 250 for all of it.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
What he said. Although if I had to route it and all I wouldn't bother. It'd probably cost more than the guitar to have done unless you did it all yourself. Floyd's are great when you know how to maintain and set them up. Usually the people that complain about how terrible they are, are the ones that eff them up not knowing how to mess with them.
It seems that this model isn't routed for a Floyd Rose. You'll have to reroute the thing yourself (very difficult if you don't have experience and the proper tools) or pay to have it done by a professional (expensive). For that guitar it's not worth the trouble/cost, in my opinion.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
make sure you get an original floyd rose or OFR, they are far superior to the other floyd roses available
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Quote by RetroGunslinger
make sure you get an original floyd rose or OFR, they are far superior to the other floyd roses available

There are other really good ones out there too, like the Schaller and the Gotoh. If I was adding an FR to a guitar, I'd probably put a Gotoh on. Great quality, and considerably cheaper than an OFR.
Quote by ultex

I've decided I want to put a floyd rose of some sort in it, but I've got no experience with them whatsoever.

Are you planning on doing it yourself or taking it to a luthier/tech?

Floyd Roses are great trems once you get them set up properly. The trick is getting them set up, there are a ton of moving parts in a Floyd and they take twice as long as any other trem to dial in just right. Unless you have a bit of experience installing other trems and working with a router, I would highly recommend taking it to a tech to get it installed.

If you have no experience with them, you might also want to play a few instruments with Floyds to make sure you like that style of trem first. They are definitely a little different that other trems.
Last edited by XylemBassGuitar at Aug 17, 2011,
A new trem will cost more then the guitar is worth new, I would´nt bother, save your money and get a better guitar.
I would agree that the cost of installing a floyd will be expensive versus the value of the guitar but if you lie the guitar then you go for it and do what you want. I wouldn't even consider routing yourself unless you know exactly what you are doing. You could easily damage your guitar beyond repair. As for trems. Well set up floyds that are good quality tend to be pretty stable. I have heard good things about the gotoh floyd and they apparently made some trems for other firms as well - ibanez being one of them apparently. I have used a few 'own brand' floyds on maverick guitars and they are also very good so sometimes you just get lucky when manufacturers source or machine their own bridges.

Good luck
yes i have been in a similar position i wanted a Floyd rose installed and i rang the installers up and said it would be cheaper to buy a totally new guitar than pay for it to be installed but Im sure they're are other ways this is only if your thinking about getting it installed by an expert.